SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 mag drop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 mag drop Login/Join 
posted
Few month old first time out, daughters P238 could not get through one mag yesterday, mag just dislodged almost fell out for no reason.

Anyone had a similar experience.....Trying to figure out the best way to handle this, I guess calling Sig would be wise.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well hard to say what happened one time. Could be it was fully loaded and trying to seat against a closed slide and it wasn't pushed in far enough to click. Could be the grip inadvertently pushed the mag release. Could be there's an issue with the mag, mag catch button or spring.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buddy

Sorry I wasnt a little clearer, she fired about 75 rds through it with three different mags. She had a problem with every one, usually on the 3 to the 7th round.

We checked her grip as I thought thats what it was but we are not sure now.

Probably take it out again next weekend to check it out a little closer and use a mixture of different ammo.

posted Hide Post
My first guess would be her grip which may not look like it is a problem statically, but the mag release recoils into her hand somewhere. Especially with thumbs hooked downward.

Did anyone else shoot it? A problem with the gun or magazines should exhibit with every shooter...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
My first guess would be her grip which may not look like it is a problem statically, but the mag release recoils into her hand somewhere. Especially with thumbs hooked downward.

Did anyone else shoot it? A problem with the gun or magazines should exhibit with every shooter...

Thanks....no one else shot it, I will correct that error next weekend and also have her shoot it one handed.

Guess i kind of went off half cocked and posted this, without enough inspection to isolate the issue. I will report back after the next shoot.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

Operator error. I hadn't shot mine in months and did it several times. Never did it when it was the only gun I owned

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although operator error is a possibility, I think the more likely cause is that this is a know issue with the P238 and the P938. I have had a few and 3 of them had to go back to Sig for repair.

They will install a stronger spring. After each repair, the mag drop while shooting issue stopped.

Just a thought

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Three possibilities other than operator error. It's not clear to me how old your P238 is but:

#1 – Early P238s had a weak mag latch spring.

#2 – Early P238s had issues with the mag latch itself.

New parts are inexpensive, and you can easily install them yourself.

#3 – You mentioned a 7th round, so I know that you have 7-round mags. Sometimes, the polymer part that forms the pinky extension is a bit too high at the back. That prevents complete mag insertion, so the mag latch doesn't grab securely. The fix: slide the polymer part up off the mag, then sand its rear upper surface down a bit.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update -took it out and put around 100rds through it. Brought 2 different makes of ammo.

Blazer aluminum - every other round pushed the mag out, rounds falling out and failure to feed jamming the gun. This was consistent with this cheep ammo...... almost a violent/forceful push the mag out.

Independence 90 GR FMJ - ran about 75 rounds through it, ran a lot better, thought it was going to be fine, but had two times where the mag was released. No failure to feed and the mag seemed to just barely slip out.

Date made Aug 2016 - maybe 200 to 250 rounds through it. I should add both our other P238's had no issues with either type of ammo.

Debating on calling Sig or just replacing the mag catch spring myself.....kind of wondering though if there is not a another issue going on I am not considering.

Thanks for any help/replies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Azone,

posted Hide Post
Oh and we did switch around a lot of mags with them, mags were not the issue and I did check the base clearance as you suggested Smoker, thank you.

posted Hide Post
Contacted Sig and they sent me a prepaid fed ex label.
7 day turn around......they replaced the mag catch spring. Need to get it out and put some rounds through it to check it out.

posted Hide Post
FYI -- There's a pretty good discussion of this included in another thread titled "what modifications done to your P238".

Yeah, it's a thread that I started. I didn't know where it was going to lead at the time. Looks like this mag drop deal got a lot of play. Not trying to slow this one down; just didn't want interested shooters to miss some other potentially useful results in the parallel thread. Regards........Bob R.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post