SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield XDs Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield XDs Pistols Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Got a chance to shoot two Springfield XDs pistols last weekend. Both 3" barrel, one in 9mm and the other in .45.

These are really fantastic pistols. Feel great in the hand, very good grip, good sights and very accurate.

I'm a DA/SA guy, through and through, but I have to say, I was very impressed. Recoil in the .45 was stout, but controllable; you would notice a long range session in the web of your hand, but as a defensive piece, it was great. The 9mm shot like butter. Light recoil, quick return to target, easy to shoot quickly and accurately.

Trigger pull on both guns was very good. I don't have a lot of striker fired experience, but I found it smooth, with a good consistent break, and a relatively short pull. Reset was positive.

Both guns were light and very thin. Controls were easy to reach and manipulate. Concealment would be a non-issue. These things just disappear on you.

If someone is looking for a nice, affordable, easily carried striker gun, these are absolutely worth a hard look.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Got a chance to shoot two Springfield XDs pistols last weekend. Both 3" barrel, one in 9mm and the other in .45.

These are really fantastic pistols. Feel great in the hand, very good grip, good sights and very accurate.

I'm a DA/SA guy, through and through, but I have to say, I was very impressed. Recoil in the .45 was stout, but controllable; you would notice a long range session in the web of your hand, but as a defensive piece, it was great. The 9mm shot like butter. Light recoil, quick return to target, easy to shoot quickly and accurately.

Trigger pull on both guns was very good. I don't have a lot of striker fired experience, but I found it smooth, with a good consistent break, and a relatively short pull. Reset was positive.

Both guns were light and very thin. Controls were easy to reach and manipulate. Concealment would be a non-issue. These things just disappear on you.

If someone is looking for a nice, affordable, easily carried striker gun, these are absolutely worth a hard look.

They make a DA/SA version that has a really nice DA trigger pull.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-series/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Agree! I have an XDS in 9 mm, and it is a good shooter. In a BladeTech IWB holster it is super easy to carry and conceal. I added the Talon grip to mine (the soft type) and now it is about perfect.

I want to try it in .40 one of these days. I'm one of the dwindling number of remaining .40 fans left. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I saw the XDe. Didn't really need that...

If I am ever in the market for another single stack carry pistol (currently have a 938), I will have to check that one out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several XDs pistols in 9mm and .45, including 4" and 3" bbls. I think the 3" is probably the right length, though I like the 4" as well. The .45 has a limited capacity for it's size with the 4". It's also about the same size as my G36.

The factory trigger on the XDs isn't great, isn't terrible, but somewhere in between. Most describe it as mushy, and that's fair. Mine have been reliable to shoot, comfortable, and the large texture works, though it looks like it might be uncomfortable. Some complain about the grip safety, which is a non-issue. It's neither uncomfortable, nor does it fail to activate.

I'd originally bought the Shield and XDs at the same time, on recommendation of a friend. The shield was a disasterous bust, but the XDs merited another look. Not a bad little pistol.

I really dislike the extended magazines with the migrating gap fillers. I think they're awkward and unless the gap filler is secured, have the potential of preventing seating the mag during a reload. The way the excess plastic sticks out all around it also lends the potential to reverse the mag during insertion or cause a delay getting the mag in place, which I don't like.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I carry an XDS when the G19 seems a bit too big for what i'm wearing.

It's very similar to shooting a Glock, although there is a tad bit more mush before the break.

I polished the trigger mating surfaces and it is very smooth. no grittyness at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have the 9mm version. Been tempted to get the .45 version when PSA had the deal going for the pistol, 3 of their blem AR lowers and a carbine lower of some sort that took Glock mags.

It is a very nice single stack pistol that conceals well. Recoil isn't too bad, much more manageable than my P938 but it's to be expected.

Springfield makes a fine line of pistols and I find the XD line to be better for me ergonomically. I like the 1911 like grip safety.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
My XDs in 9mm is one of my favorite carry guns. Great shooter!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My XDs 9 has been 100% reliable and easy to shoot at speed accurately. My only gripe is slide bite and I really prefer DA/SA. Thus, an XDe may be in my future.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Carry and shoot often an Xdm 3.8 9mm. 5-6000 rounds though it. The trigger os a bit less mushy than an xd and the extra length of the 3.8 over the xd 3" makes shooting great. 12 or 19rnd mags are great. It was a steal at 500$

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I picked up an XDs 45 a few months ago. Only one range trip so far, but I'm pretty impressed with it. I bought it during SA's promotion with 4 free mags & holster.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Still have my 3.3 9mm. It never went back for its "voluntary" trigger bar safety 'upgrade', so its trigger action remains as sweet as the triggers were known for prior to the safety fix. It has always shot well for me though I don't like the hokey and ineffective frame texture. A young lady I know has shot the gun and now wants it; given how I feel about SA as a company it should be gone soon once we settle on the price.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been a fan for around twenty years.
One time I had three 40 service and two 45 service models.
Down to one each as I have given three away to friends.
I am down sizing and this is a better way than things going thru pro bate court at my passing.
Kids and grand kids have been taken care of with at least five rifles and pistols each.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
I have the XDs in .45 and love the thing. Very carry-able and shoots WAY better than it has any right to being that small.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree - those are excellent guns. Always have been.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pocket carry the 3" 45 daily in a Mica's holster.
https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
I didn't much care for my XD-S 4.0 9mm, but my XD-S 3.3 .45 is a definite keeper; more accurate for me than the nine.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll echo many of the previous comments. I have a 9mm 3.3" that I have had for almost two years. It has been completely reliable, and it hides easily due to being so narrow. It feels very solid in my hand and instills confidence. I did put on some Talon rubber grips, which definitely helped. The trigger is a little heavier than I would like but otherwise OK since I am used to XD triggers. In my opinion, the XDs and the Shield are the two best small 9's. YMMV

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I like mine in .45. When I need to really conceal, at work for example, it's my go-to. With a belly band you'd never know its there.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If given the choice, I'd lean toward the 45 (even though the 9mm would be fine too). The only concern for me would be the durability/reliability factor of a small polymer framed pistol in the heavier recoiling 45 ACP. Should this be a concern or something not worrying about?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post