New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN FNS-9 Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I saw one of these the other day, held it and it feels pretty good. I like the trigger. But I have heard of some issues with FN:

- magazines are very expensive
- dealing with FN is a pain
- parts might be a problem
- polymer frames are very soft

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my FNS-9 for about two years and have about 1500 rounds through it. You are correct about the magazines, they are around $50 each (PSA has them for $44.99 right now). I have heard that FN has less than stellar customer service, but I've never had a problem with any FN product that required their attention. Parts availability is not great, as the only source I know of for things other than magazines and sights is Midwest Gun Works, though, again, I've never needed to replace any parts either. As for the polymer frame being soft, I don't think it's any softer than any of my other polymer framed guns (Sig 320, HK VP9 and USPc, CZ P-10c, Glock 19 gen 4 and 5).

What I can tell you about my FNS-9 is that it's as good as any of the other polymer pistols I own. It's size is a little odd, but that's not necessarily bad. It's like a P320 Carry size-wise. Mine has been very accurate and 100% reliable so far.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and really like it. I did see a video where a hammer fired FN pistol's grip became soft and flexible in direct sunlight. Hopefully the FNS is an improvement and that no loner happens.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had also been considering one recently. Like you, I also liked how it felt in my hand and read several glowing reviews on the internet.

FN did receive some bad press in recent years due to a previous model polymer pistol deforming from the heat of being stored in a vehicle on a hot day... Not exactly confidence inspiring, but maybe they fixed the problem in newer models, right?

What made me lose interest was going through this very long thread about one owner's negative experience w/ FN customer service.

So I broke my FNS-9L.....

I don't expect a company to bend over backwards for someone who mistreated his gun, but FN gives me the impression that they don't stand behind their products nor provide product support.

If the thread is TL;DR for you, I'll give you a couple highlights. FN told their customer that the FNS should have parts replace every 2K rds, and that the useful life expectancy is ~10-12K rds. Frown So yeah... not confidence inspiring.

If I find one at fire sale pricing, I might pick it up, which is increasingly likely now that FN is pushing their new 509 pistol. Things such as 509 mags and holsters are not backwards compatible w/ the FNS series, which is all the more reason why their older models are likely to fade into obscurity.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron chef - I hadn't seen that thread before. I guess the rumors I heard about FN customer service have some truth to them. The life expectancy is disconcerting...now I want to shoot the crap out of my FNS-9 and see how it holds up. That won't be punishment for me or anything. I really like mine, but I also like shooting a bunch of new stuff.

Maybe FN is trying to be more like HK and is taking on their unofficial motto of "because you suck, and we hate you."

Disclaimer: I also have thoroughly enjoyed my HKs, so maybe I just enjoy giving money to companies that loathe me.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yes FNS CS and civilian support is rather sucky. They're another of those arms companies that thrives off of contract sales and arrange their organization accordingly, unfortunately to the detriment of us in the civilian market. I knew that going in and bought my FNS-9 anyways. It uses a different polymer formula than their earlier pistol series; much more robust and hardened like polymers used by other gun makers and not like the mushy, melts-in-the-sun goop that they do for their earlier poly guns, like the FNX-45 Tactical.

I read thru that FNS-9L thread. I get that the OP of that thread was peeved over having to pay for something that was still (by the amount of time passed) technically covered by warranty, but he also ran his gun well over the recommended interval for consumable parts replacement, like with the little spring that broke in his gun and consequently rendered his slide unusable. Like the guy who never changes the oil in his car, abusive use isn't something that any manufacturer should have to cover. I don't think FNS CS can be held accountable for that one.

As for my gun, a 2000rd parts replacement interval kinda sucks. I typically use 5000-6000rds for most everything else that I own. And the 10k-12k life expectancy number; is it for the gun in its entirety or the realistic life span of its consumable parts if pushed beyond the recommended replacement interval? That wasn't made clear to me, but I could've easily missed that given the number of pages that that thread ran.

As for my FNS-9: it's run flawlessly to date, with all sorts of ammo. But I have only about 600 rounds through it and of late it's not one I've been taking out to the range, mostly because I really DO have too many guns to choose from. But I do like the FNS a lot; the grip angle is all wrong for me and my Glock hands but it's a sweet shooter that has a pretty good trigger right out of the box. It should be clear to all that FNS is worthless as a parts source (they ALWAYS want the gun sent back to them) so Midwest will be who I call, whether it's 2000 rounds or I push it out to 5000 like I do SIGs and Glocks, assuming that I even shoot the gun enough to get it there.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I had the FN FNS9. I liked it but not enough to keepBjork it. Sold it but always thought about them. Picked up the FN 509 instead. It is a mich better version of the FNS. You should give it a whirl.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is rediculous "10K-12K round service life, 2k round service interval" this sucks. Who the hell would buy one of these knowing this? Not that everyone will surpass that service life, but still it should be designed better. Buy a new car that only lasts a year of driving. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I looked at it thinking it would be a good knock-around gun. Not worth it to me after hearing and reading more.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People buy keltec like it's going out of style, and keltec has a 6000 round life for their weapons and absolutely terrible service (and weapons). Yet people buy them because they're cheap.

The FN isn't cheap. It's on par with it's peers, and there are far better choices.

While I found that S&W took the cake for the worst customer service I've ever experienced (and most dishonest warranty service), Glock on the other hand is notorious for standing behind their product, and unlike HK, doesn't think you suck and hate you. 12,000 rounds is just starting to get broken in with those, and you'll likely still be going strong at 200,000 rounds, if you last that long. So will the pistol. Why buy a 6,000 or 12,000 round pistol?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
12,000 rounds is just starting to get broken in with those, and you'll likely still be going strong at 200,000 rounds, if you last that long. So will the pistol. Why buy a 6,000 or 12,000 round pistol?

Exactly my point!

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If you're going that route, do the 509. It's a better looker and feeler.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If that is really the service life and expensive parts replacement interval, that is one expensive gun on a per round cost basis.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a FNX 9 that I bought new and the first trip to the range the trigger wouldnt reset after each shot. I called FN and in less than an hour I was emailed a shipping label so I could return the pistol at no cost to me. I shipped the pistol back to FN and the pistol was returned to me in about a month again at no cost to me. I don't know what others have experienced but my experience with FN was positive. I own several other FN firearms and they have all been equal to any other gun I own to include HK, SIG, Beretta, Glock, etc.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post