SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Never Have a Trigger Job on CC Handgun? True or False
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never Have a Trigger Job on CC Handgun? True or False Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
In what now feels like another lifetime ago I was a criminal defense attorney for 5 years out of law school.

I modify my guns without concern. It’s the kind of things people like to wring their hands over on the internet, but simply isn’t important in the real world.

If you modify your gun or car or home or...anything...and render it unsafe, that’s another story. For example, you lighten your Glock so much that when you sneeze it discharges and kills a kid, that’s a different story.

Light trigger in a self defense case? No matter at all. It is not an element of the crime of murder or manslaughter. If it’s a good shoot, it’s a good shoot. That gray guns made your gun a beast on the range is of no consequence. Enjoy your hot rods!

Thank you. It is nice to hear a view from another lawyer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
I don't agree with the attorney you spoke with. In all my striker fired pistols that I carry, I have modified the trigger for an increased trigger pull. My couple of Glocks and MP's all have a trigger pull of 6 to 8+ lbs, and I made the modifications. I have no worries if I ever had to use them in a SD situation. Like others have said, I would be worried about carrying a striker with a very lite trigger pull; 2-3 Lbs. I want a deliberate, conscious pull of the trigger.

Not being a smart ass here, but couldn't someone argue that your heavier than stock trigger pull caused you to gank the shot, if you missed and hit a bystander? Could that also lead to negligence or reckless endangerment charges?

Once you start worrying about this stuff, your mind can run wild, I guess.

I choose to not worry about it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone can argue nearly anything, but I seriously doubt anyone in court is going to argue about trigger mods. It's hard enough to convince 12 random Americans of anything, let alone explain how a trigger job killed someone. That been said, most modern pistols come with excellent triggers, or you can buy something semi-custom, like from Langdon, that needs no alteration. I have a px4 compact like that. Lawyer gun types (there are a few) love to write scary articles. At one point some of them argued against using "snake" guns (Cobra, Python) or anything in 357 because snakes and magnums were scary.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Anyone can argue nearly anything

True statement there.
The prosecutor in the Harold Fish shooting (AZ) was a prime example.
The slimeball prosecutor actually stated in court: “ He carried a gun that was MORE powerful than what the police carry!” because Mr. Fish carried a 10mm on his hikes in the woods.

My guns get modified if needed to make them easier for me to shoot more accurately. Triggers, barrels, whatever.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
False.

Smoothing the trigger pull and return while keeping it within spec is just fine. Reducing the weight until it is out of spec could cause a problem. Is a 3.5# pull on a Wilson Combat 1911 out of spec because Springfield Armory mandates a 5-6# pull? Is a Glock trigger "out of spec" with a NY-1 trigger spring and 3.5# connector? This setup smooths the pull, enhances the reset, and increases the weight by at least 1/2 pound. None of the triggers on the guns listed is out of spec. Each company can supply an engineer's testimony to the defense that a trigger is in or out of spec.

As mentioned, the circumstances and evidence play a role here.

The real issue is unscrupulous presecutors. They may try to use anything to convict a citizen who lawfully used lethal force. There are several strategies, which I won't go into, that can be used to defend against such accusations. The cost of the trial increases, but one never knows how these things will go anyway. The gun's condition may never come up.

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume you did this at Sig factory. What was the cost?

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The work that you describe simply corrects a factory manufacturing flaw. Do not discuss the action work with anybody besides your attorney. BTW, the prevailing rate for legal fees in a perfect defense shooting is $27K if you don’t impress the cops with your “action enhancement” package. I mention this because we all have a tendency to provide too much information when we are nervous. As a fellow M11A1 owner, I think that this is a good repair to bring your pistol to a more serviceable condition.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
As a former prosecutor and now as an attorney that defends police officers in civil cases alleging excessive force (including shootings)and who advises police agencies on liability issues, it is my opinion that anyone who says the answer is definitively one way or another is mistaken. The only correct answer is “it depends.” It depends on if the shooting was intentional or accidental, whether the intended target got shot or an innocent bystander did. Criminally, it makes a difference whether you get a reasonable prosecutor or an anti ccw/gun prosecutor. The jury you draw is also a critical factor. If it was an accidental shooting, or if an unintentional bystander got hit, then the risks go up. Civilly, the fact that the pistol was modified from factory original WILL BE admissible. Some money grubbing coin operated whore, er, I mean “expert,” will come up with an opinion that the modification somehow impacted the shooting. Will it be reasonable? Probably not, unless it was an accidental shooting or negligent discharge. But, you will have to have an expert on your side to refute the claim. Ultimately the issue becomes one of weight of evidence, not the admissibility of it, therefore, it would be up to the jury to decide. This poses another variable, a Texas or Florida jury would view the evidence much differently than a NY or California jury. After trying nearly 50 cases to jury verdict, I have seen results that have taught me to never trust the common sense of the community at large. These are the people that will judge you criminally or civilly if you shoot someone.

After every shooting that I have litigated or investigated as a LEO, the weapon is seized and sent to the lab for testing. The report will indicate what the trigger pull is, and may indicate if it has been altered from factory specs or equipment. Unless other jurisdictions are different, anyone who is in the camp of “they will never know” is wrong. In a civil case, the other side will have access to inspect and test your firearm. Your modifications will be found and exploited by your opponentif possible.

Most agencies have a policy against modifying firearms for a reason. Why interject an unnecessary variable in an otherwise ridiculously complicated, emotional, and expensive process? Because one could never know or even reasonably foresee the variables involved in a theoretical shooting, my advice is always to leave the weapon in factory condition. If modifications are made by the factory (ie AEP) then there is not likely to be a problem. If you drop in some super wiz bang flavor of the month trigger, then you are incurring risk. Whether the risk ultimately manifests itself in harm depends on how the variables play out. No armchair firearms expert or internet lawyer can tell you the outcome. If a lawyer tells you they know how it will play out, then you need a new lawyer. Is it reasonable that a trigger job makes the weapon more accurate? Sure, but that wont be the only evidence that gets before the jury. Knowing what I know (and admittedly, its one guy’ opinion, as educated as it may be) all my carry guns are bone stock.

One real life example about the ridiculousness of what may occur in court: I was defending an officer in a civil case in federal court in a fatal shooting case in which the officer was accused of excessive force. A white officer shot a black teenager with his personally owned, but agency approved AR that he was qualified on. The rifle had an integral flashlight in the forearm. This simple change from factory specs had to be addressed by our expert. Obviously, putting a flashlight on the rifle was to improve visibility, and was not an evil thing “that goes up” but became an issue anyway. The plaintiff’s lawyer also kept referring to the otherwise stock AR as a “machine gun.” The moral of the story is that lawyers will exploit any potential issue in favor of their clients and prosecutors may do the same if it is in favor of their case.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice. Do what you will, but don’t operate under any illusions that the “I shoot better with my whiz bang trigger” argument is guaranteed to carry the day. If your factory trigger is not serviceable and you cannot shoot it well enough to carry, then, in one guy’s opinion, you need more practice or a different gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JDSigManiac,

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I believe in carrying a gun that hasn't been altered with the exception of adding night sights. For my thinking, factory sears, springs and triggers etc ... have undergone far more trial & error research than any aftermarket parts. The few times I've seen serious malfunctions on the range have been (mostly) caused by aftermarket parts of faulty handloads.

But I've heard similar claims over the years, although I haven't ever heard of a courtroom test case to back up those claims. And I have searched them out.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
As a former prosecutor and now as an attorney that defends police officers in civil cases alleging excessive force (including shootings)and who advises police agencies on liability issues, it is my opinion that anyone who says the answer is definitively one way or another is mistaken. The only correct answer is “it depends.” It depends on if the shooting was intentional or accidental, whether the intended target got shot or an innocent bystander did. Criminally, it makes a difference whether you get a reasonable prosecutor or an anti ccw/gun prosecutor. The jury you draw is also a critical factor. If it was an accidental shooting, or if an unintentional bystander got hit, then the risks go up. Civilly, the fact that the pistol was modified from factory original WILL BE admissible. Some money grubbing coin operated whore, er, I mean “expert,” will come up with an opinion that the modification somehow impacted the shooting. Will it be reasonable? Probably not, unless it was an accidental shooting or negligent discharge. But, you will have to have an expert on your side to refute the claim. Ultimately the issue becomes one of weight of evidence, not the admissibility of it, therefore, it would be up to the jury to decide. This poses another variable, a Texas or Florida jury would view the evidence much differently than a NY or California jury. After trying nearly 50 cases to jury. Erdict, I have seen results that have taught me to never trust the common sense of the community at large. These are the people that will judge you criminally or civilly if you shoot someone.

After every shooting that I have litigated or investigated as a LEO, the weapon is seized and sent to the lab for testing. The report will indicate what the trigger pull is, and may indicate if it has been altered from factory specs or equipment. Unless other jurisdictions are different, anyone who is in the camp of “they will never know” is wrong. In a civil case, the other side will have access to inspect and test your firearm. Your modifications will be found and exploited by your opponentif possible.

Most agencies have a policy against modifying firearms for a reason. Why interject an unnecessary variable in an otherwise ridiculously complicated, emotional, and expensive process? Because one could never know or even reasonably foresee the variables involved in a theoretical shooting, my advice is always to leave the weapon in factory condition. If modifications are made by the factory (ie AEP) then there is not likely to be a problem. If you drop in some super wiz bang flavor of the month trigger, then you are incurring risk. Whether the risk ultimately manifests itself in harm depends on how the variables play out. No armchair firearms expert or internet lawyer can tell you the outcome. If a lawyer tells you they know how it will play out, then you need a new lawyer. Is it reasonable that a trigger job makes the weapon more accurate? Sure, but that wont be the only evidence that gets before the jury. Knowing what I know (and admittedly, its one guy’ opinion, as educated as it may be) all my carry guns are bone stock.

One real life example about the ridiculousness of what may occur in court: I was defending an officer in a civil case in federal court in a fatal shooting case in which the officer was accused of excessive force. A white officer shot a black teenager with his personally owned, but agency approved AR that he was qualified on. The rifle had an integral flashlight in the forearm. This simple change from factory specs had to be addressed by our expert. Obviously, putting a flashlight on the rifle was to improve visibility, and was not an evil thing “that goes up” but became an issue anyway. The plaintiff’s lawyer also kept referring to the otherwise stock AR as a “machine gun.” The moral of the story is that lawyers will exploit any potential issue in favor of their clients and prosecutors may do the same if it is in favor of their case.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice. Do what you will, but don’t operate under any illusions that the “I shoot better with my whiz bang trigger” argument is guaranteed to carry the day. If your factory trigger is not serviceable and you cannot shoot it well enough to carry, then, in one guy’s opinion, you need more practice or a different gun.

While there are certainly many valid points here, I also see a mixing of issues from the “police world” into the “civilian defender world” in many sources. There are many actions that a police officer may take, or may be obligated to take by virtue of the office, that a civilian defender would not, should not, or cannot perform due to law and circumstance.

A classic example is duty to act. Holding a suspect at gun point may be mandated by the department for the circumstances of the event, but the civilian defender has no such obligation. This activity became the justification to limit departmental liability by modifying gun triggers to be long and of increased weight. The reasoning was to reduce negligent discharges by officers at suspects. This notion crossed over into the citizen defender world.

The notion of carrying a completely stock gun because of organizational mandates makes no sense for a civilian defender. Certainly, carrying a “bone stock” Glock makes little sense due to the plastic sights. Changing them, unless the gun came with factory steel or night sights, is an improvement. Durability is an issue too. I low crawled through a field in Wyoming and wore down one side of my G19’s rear sight by approximately 10 degrees.

All mods should be justified and articulable in court. There are ways to address this, but I won’t go into them on a public forum open to felons. Too many people think only of the ridiculous accusation and not the response. It is possible that the prosecution will go to ridiculous extremes, but there is no guarantee they will go after the civilian defender via their gun mods. Regardless, the cost of such trials inflates badly.

In summary, think carefully about any mods done to a gun. Think of ways to articulate the reasoning. What you know prior to the event is admissible in court; documenting the information makes presentation to the court easier. This allows you to lawfully influence a jury chosen for their ignorance on law, self-defense, guns, etc toward the civilian defender’s side of the case. It is never easy since where the prosecutor goes will be unknown. Consider the “why” and think things through rather than just follow along blindly.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
There are so many things at play there. We've had almost no defensive shootings here that weren't OIS. No one ever asked about the gun or any potential work that was done. It certainly can be, though. Cops and lawyers are just people and you never know what you'll get from an investigation/prosecution. Many prosecutions have used some pretty silly shit during trial. I remember one in the northeast where the prosecutor used the name of the Mossberg Persuader during closing in a stereotypical movie Nazi voice.

I stick to policy on my carry guns, but our policy allows for trigger work that doesn't take the pull under 5#. I encourage folks who ask me about it to follow as that would be defensible.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
There are so many things at play there. We've had almost no defensive shootings here that weren't OIS. No one ever asked about the gun or any potential work that was done. It certainly can be, though. Cops and lawyers are just people and you never know what you'll get from an investigation/prosecution. Many prosecutions have used some pretty silly shit during trial. I remember one in the northeast where the prosecutor used the name of the Mossberg Persuader during closing in a stereotypical movie Nazi voice.

I stick to policy on my carry guns, but our policy allows for trigger work that doesn't take the pull under 5#. I encourage folks who ask me about it to follow as that would be defensible.

But, that is simply not true. That is a organizational policy and is different than what applies to the civilian defender. As I asked before: Is a Wilson Combat 1911 trigger set to 3.5-4# out of spec since Springfield Armory mandates a 5-6# pull as their specification? Is a WC 1911 no longer viable for civilian defense because of trigger and feature differences? This is the argument you are making and it is absurd with a little bit of thinking.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsasser05:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:

But, that is simply not true. That is a organizational policy and is different than what applies to the civilian defender. As I asked before: Is a Wilson Combat 1911 trigger set to 3.5-4# out of spec since Springfield Armory mandates a 5-6# pull as their specification? Is a WC 1911 no longer viable for civilian defense because of trigger and feature differences? This is the argument you are making and it is absurd with a little bit of thinking.

I'm not making any argument whatsoever. I'm presenting my not at all minimal experience. Miss me with your troll shit.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
To quote Jones from another thread...
quote:
The problem isn't for many about modifying a pistol. It's where you live.

As the saying goes - good shoot is a good shoot.

If you live in a liberal, gun-hating state where just the fact you own a gun automatically makes you evil - yeah any modification could be used against you.
You know, the places where the fact you carry hollow points makes you a blood-thirsty muderer...

However, I know where I live, it’s a moot point.
Almost all of my completion and carry guns have been modified - and I have zero concerns about it.

Now, I can see liability if the mods are unsafe (1lb trigger on a carry gun, toting around the Fitz Special Glock we saw on GB a few years ago Big Grin , etc) and you have a ND that hurts someone.

Absent that, I think it simply comes down to where you live.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you start playing this game, where do you stop? The prosecuting attorney might also say "the New York City Police Department, one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the world, requires their sidearms to have trigger pull of 12lbs. The defendant's gun was only 7 pounds, almost half what they require for safety's sake, he was clearly reckless and a danger to the public at large!"

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
As a former prosecutor and now as an attorney that defends police officers in civil cases alleging excessive force (including shootings)and who advises police agencies on liability issues, it is my opinion that anyone who says the answer is definitively one way or another is mistaken. The only correct answer is “it depends.” It depends on if the shooting was intentional or accidental, whether the intended target got shot or an innocent bystander did. Criminally, it makes a difference whether you get a reasonable prosecutor or an anti ccw/gun prosecutor. The jury you draw is also a critical factor. If it was an accidental shooting, or if an unintentional bystander got hit, then the risks go up. Civilly, the fact that the pistol was modified from factory original WILL BE admissible. Some money grubbing coin operated whore, er, I mean “expert,” will come up with an opinion that the modification somehow impacted the shooting. Will it be reasonable? Probably not, unless it was an accidental shooting or negligent discharge. But, you will have to have an expert on your side to refute the claim. Ultimately the issue becomes one of weight of evidence, not the admissibility of it, therefore, it would be up to the jury to decide. This poses another variable, a Texas or Florida jury would view the evidence much differently than a NY or California jury. After trying nearly 50 cases to jury. Erdict, I have seen results that have taught me to never trust the common sense of the community at large. These are the people that will judge you criminally or civilly if you shoot someone.

Best answer and advice!!!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not making any argument whatsoever. I'm presenting my not at all minimal experience. Miss me with your troll shit.

Nope, that would be you since you cannot keep your emotions in check and you posted something like that.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Anyone can argue nearly anything

True statement there.
The prosecutor in the Harold Fish shooting (AZ) was a prime example.
The slimeball prosecutor actually stated in court: “ He carried a gun that was MORE powerful than what the police carry!” because Mr. Fish carried a 10mm on his hikes in the woods.

That was one of the cases I was thinking about, too.

posted Hide Post
JDSigManiac said it best it all depends. You change one little detail in a shooting and you can have different outcomes.

One could argue a +2 mag extension shows you wanted to shoot more rounds at someone.

If you want to argue facts you see the judge.
If you want to argue emotions see a jury.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
People are complicating this. Keep all facts of a shoot the EXACT same with only one variable. In one case it was a 12 pound trigger and in another it was a 4 pound trigger. Talking about accidentally shooting someone is a totally different circumstance. Well duh, if you shoot an innocent bystander, you’re fucked. Who cares what your trigger weight is? But, but, I had a 20 pound trigger, I should be forgiven!!!! Lol no. Just like a 3 pound trigger won’t get you any more fucked.

Does anyone remember the trigger weight of the George Zimmerman case coming up?

Can trigger weight be used? Sure. So can the clothes you wore that day. Any posters or pictures in your home. Animal heads that are mounted. What kind of car you drive. Any nicknames you have. What other types of guns/calibers you own....the list goes on forever. Can it matter? To a small degree maybe. It’s one of an infinite number of variables that will come into play. To act like it’s a big deal or will be determinative is silly imo. I hope you don’t wear cargo pants or Gun shirts or drink black rifle coffee or have any powerful calibers or....I hope my point is obvious.

Folks can make this a bigger deal than it is, but keep all other facts the same and show me how it matters.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post