SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Son finally bought a Sig have question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son finally bought a Sig have question Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
My son finally bought a Sig (P226) in 40 S&W a few weeks ago at the Greensboro gun show. He mentioned to me something about he might be interested in buying a 357 Sig barrel for it. Was just wondering where the best place to purchase one would be. Also are they drop in or would they need a bit of tweaking?
Thanks in advance for any info.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
New factory barrels usually drop in, but sometimes they are a little tight and require a bit of “encouragement” and breaking in to get the slide in battery and to get over any cycling hesitation. Fitting is seldom needed, but not unheard-of.

Factory 357 SIG barrels seem to be in short supply these days, but I would check for availability (and compare prices) at Top Gun Supply and the SIG site to begin with.

Added: I just checked both sites and neither has 357 SIG P226 barrels in stock, nor does Numrich. It might be necessary to expand the search to eBay or elsewhere. Like many other good things that SIG seems to be distancing itself from, the company is evidently content to allow the 357 SIG cartridge to die a wasting death. I recommend that anyone who wants a factory barrel to get one from any source that has it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy the proper barrel from the Sig website or from any vendor on this site that sells them. They usually just drop in or need a very little filing.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
OEM 357sig barrels occasionally pop up on eBay..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Top Gun Supply. It was out of stock when I wanted it, but I signed up to be notified when they got one in. I got the email about a week later. Dropped right in and functions fine. I REALLY like .357 Sig out of the 226. Accurate, flat shooting, and recoil feels like a hot 9. It is however very, very loud. If ammo was more available it would be on my short list of favorite carry guns when clothing allows.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MGW is another place that carries them and will let you sign up to be notified when they have stock.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...gwi/prod/BBL-226-357

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Googled 357 sig barrel and came up with a site, EFK Firedragon and found them, are their barrels good to go or junk?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Firedragon barrel in a P6, and it took a bit of fitting. Definatly not "drop in". For what that's worth.

Once I got it in, it's been a good barrel.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Googled 357 sig barrel and came up with a site, EFK Firedragon and found them, are their barrels good to go or junk?

I’d much rather have Sig OEM and would be content to wait for one to come in stock.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:

I’d much rather have Sig OEM and would be content to wait for one to come in stock.

I believe sig dropped the 357 from their caliber options. I wouldn’t count on them offering a barrel.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My red box CPO 229r came with both barrels. Not sure if that was a thing a decade or so ago or the dealer just threw it in. Turns out it also fit my standard 229 just fine as well. Great caliber.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
The CPO 226 I bought about ten, ( roughly ) years ago came with both .40 and .357 barrels, also.

I would look toward TGS or perhaps SIG for the best/most likely to drop in barrel without any drama.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also got an EFK barrel for a P6 and mine popped right in, solid lock up but no fitting, great barrel, it’s my carry gun.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Typically Fire Dragons require no fitting, but tolerances for a specific gun or the rare instance of a off-spec example that leaves their shop will occasionally rear its ugly self. I've used them in Glocks without any fitting problems, and shot a friend of the shop's tricked out P229 that had a ported example from EFK. He said the barrel was a drop-in that required no fitting. Not a fan of slicing holes in slides, but his 'racer' did shoot extremely nice.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have an EFK Firedragon 9mm drop in barrel in my P226 that was originally a 40. No lock up issues or fitting needed.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My friend owns a shop. I was there over the weekend and I swear he has a .357 226 barrel in the case. I was looking for one for a 229. He’s closed today. I’ll shoot him a text if you are interested.
My email is in my profile.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357 Sig is a good; but now unappreciated caliber.
State Police agencies/Highway Patrol adopted them about 10 years ago (don't know if still in use.Texas Dept of Public Safety, Texas Rangers did)
Reason was they typically shoot at longer distances than city cops and flat shooting had better range and hit harder.

Barsto makes great Sig barrels for very little more money than Sig OEM They say their barrels are "semi=drop in" CYA time in case they do not! Might have to wait a couple of months; but will outshoot OEM. 226,229; and 239 9mm conversion barrels ( shoot 9mm out of 40 or 357 Sig with just a barrel change and 9mm mag, no other parts, Sold a bunch over the years.

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
almost, would NOT buy EFK or Jarvis: but KKM was supposed to start making Sig barrels, don't know if they ever started? Make great barrels for Glocks, including 9mm conversions and they are a little less than Barsto and not a long wait.

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post