SIGforum
Manufacture date of P229

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9380007974

February 17, 2021, 12:09 AM
TKE-AX611
Manufacture date of P229
I recently acquired a P229 in .357 Sig. I called Sig to inquire as to the date of manufacture. They said they couldn't help me since they don't have any info on pistols manufactured in Germany prior to 2005. I have the box the pistol came in but I can't decipher any of the numeric codes. They are as follows:
7 98681 27178 8
229C-357-B
S/N AL 480XX

Any ideas?

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
February 17, 2021, 12:43 AM
coloradohunter44
Look at the post at the top of sig pistols. You can search for your serial number in the P229 area and get close.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
February 17, 2021, 12:57 AM
TKE-AX611
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Look at the post at the top of sig pistols. You can search for your serial number in the P229 area and get close.

I did look before I posted, but the four "AL" S/N dates range from 95 to 08. A 13 year spread doesn't really seem that close... I was really hoping there was some info to be gleaned from the numbers listed under the bar code.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
February 17, 2021, 11:25 AM
airbubba
quote:
Originally posted by TKE-AX611:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

I did look before I posted, but the four "AL" S/N dates range from 95 to 08. A 13 year spread doesn't really seem that close... I was really hoping there was some info to be gleaned from the numbers listed under the bar code.

you have to interpolate, not every s/n will be listed.
February 17, 2021, 11:41 AM
Greymann
If you have the original grips check the date clock. That will help you to narrow it down a little.
The magazines have a date clock too.

February 17, 2021, 11:50 AM
stoic-one
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
If you have the original grips check the date clock. That will help you to narrow it down a little.
I'd go with the clock on the grips if you have the originals. If you have older dovetail magazines with witness holes on the back, they wont have a date clock on them.

I'm guessing this weapon doesn't have proof date letter codes on the chin of the slide?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
February 17, 2021, 09:36 PM
TKE-AX611
I didn't realize the grips had a date clock on them. Good to know - thanks!

My P229 actually had two different dates on the grips: Oct 2002 & Feb 2003.

I also have a P228 from Oct 1994.

I posted both of them on the serial number thread.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
February 17, 2021, 09:47 PM
TKE-AX611
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
I'd go with the clock on the grips if you have the originals. If you have older dovetail magazines with witness holes on the back, they wont have a date clock on them.

I'm guessing this weapon doesn't have proof date letter codes on the chin of the slide?

No proof codes on chin, nothing on the zipper back mags either.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
February 18, 2021, 03:11 PM
BuddyChryst
I was unaware that there were German made P229s. My impression (right or wrong) was that P229s were made in the US. At least the slides, frames could be otherwise.

Anyway, my best guess would be ‘01 +/- a year. It’s not definitive but if you look at the serials, the letters generally seem to indicate date, up to a point. Roughly, AC-‘93 AD-‘94, AE-‘95, etc. This seems to get lost around 2000, especially at AM. But based on this, my guess would be 2000-2002 for your AL.

This grips won’t tell you anything for sure either, but assuming they’re original to the pistol, the pistol wasn’t out of the factory before that date.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
February 18, 2021, 06:49 PM
TKE-AX611
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
I was unaware that there were German made P229s. My impression (right or wrong) was that P229s were made in the US. At least the slides, frames could be otherwise.

Anyway, my best guess would be ‘01 +/- a year. It’s not definitive but if you look at the serials, the letters generally seem to indicate date, up to a point. Roughly, AC-‘93 AD-‘94, AE-‘95, etc. This seems to get lost around 2000, especially at AM. But based on this, my guess would be 2000-2002 for your AL.

This grips won’t tell you anything for sure either, but assuming they’re original to the pistol, the pistol wasn’t out of the factory before that date.

The frame is marked "Frame Made in Germany". The person I bought the pistol from was the original owner. I have contacted him and he said the grips were never changed.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)
February 19, 2021, 01:25 PM
g26s239
My P229R 40 caliber was purchased in early October 2005 and it's serial number is AM series. My P229 Tutone 9mm was purchased circa March 2006 and is marked AL 45 XXX. So it might have been made later than the AM or just stuck in someone's storage for a while.
February 19, 2021, 02:55 PM
stoic-one
quote:
229C-357-B

So, one thing I guess I didn't notice was the "C", which may or may not help narrow this down. I mean it's obviously post Feb 2003...

Is this actually a P229 Compact?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
February 19, 2021, 09:58 PM
giz55792
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

Early 229 frames were German made, my non-railed 229 frame was made in Germany.
February 19, 2021, 10:14 PM
azmercedes
229C would be a 229 Carry 357 Sig in nitron?
Does it have a 3.5 barrel? Is the slide about even with the dust cover?