SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig M11 Rare?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig M11 Rare? Login/Join 
posted
Reading a novel by David Baldacci titled "No Mans Land". There is mentioned in the story that the U.S.Air Force ordered M11's but ended not taking fifty of them. Sig had the idea to add a letter on the rollmark on the slide and since A and A1 were already taken they added a B. So the story goes that these fifty M11B's go for $4,000.00 each. Any truth to this. In a previous book I read by the same author a female Army sniper pressed her eye to the rifle scope before shooting. So not so sure.

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't claim to have independent expertise in this area, but did find this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...-sauer-m11-b-pistol/

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
I don't claim to have independent expertise in this area, but did find this article:

That article is good, except for one glaringly embarrassing explanation in the second picture regarding the breech block.

Btw, the last NIB M11B went for $3500. And used one went for $1800.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
12131 is an authority on these his advice is golden.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
As I recall the original price for these M11Bs was all over the map depending on the LGS that got one. I read accounts from two different people, one who paid around $700 and another who paid around $800. Neither these buyers or their LGS's really knew what they had. They thought they were just P228s with additional markings. However, as the story about these pistols got onto the internet, the prices rose to around $1500 with the secondary market hitting upwards to $3500 as 12131 mentioned.

The story is true as I heard it except for the reason for choosing a "B" suffix. I believe the first M11Bs were out in 2011 and the M11-A1 came out in 2012. Up until the M11B, any previous military M11s I had seen that had escaped into the wild of the civilian market had the "M11" and "U.S." marked over.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I want to believe...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Up until the M11B, any previous military M11s I had seen that had escaped into the wild of the civilian market had the "M11" and "U.S." marked over.

The military M11s out in the wild that precede the M11Bs all have their "US" "M11" marks intact, from all the examples I've seen. So, not sure which military M11s you're talking about that had "US "M11" marked over. Do you have (did you save) any pics?

The only ones that had "US" "M11" marked/etched over are some P228Rs, but they were never known to be officially adopted by any military branches/divisions.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Up until the M11B, any previous military M11s I had seen that had escaped into the wild of the civilian market had the "M11" and "U.S." marked over.

The military M11s out in the wild that precede the M11Bs all have their "US" "M11" marks intact, from all the examples I've seen. So, not sure which military M11s you're talking about that had "US "M11" marked over. Do you have (did you save) any pics?

The only ones that had "US" "M11" marked/etched over are some P228Rs, but they were never known to be officially adopted by any military branches/divisions.

Yes, you are correct and I was being imprecise. It was the P228Rs I was talking about. As I recall now, I have seen only one P228 M11 and the markings were intact. That was one for sale on GB by a dealer in Houston or Conroe several years ago.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There were a few CPO M11 pistols that are in the wild.

Either CPO and "mix-mastered", or possible (I recall a single unit as
wgsigs mentioned) CPO M11 with all it's parts.

So, one might find an M11 marked frame, and the later frames with rails as 12131 mentioned with the stippled/obliterated "M11" roll-mark.

And then the USAF M11B.

That is about the extent of the M11 roll-marked P228s.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I recall now, I have seen only one P228 M11 and the markings were intact. That was one for sale on GB by a dealer in Houston or Conroe several years ago.

Yes, that's was the CPO one.

Then, there are others.

This one was posted in the "factoids" thread, page 13, by member bigwagon:

This one is found on another board:

And, from another board:

And, these two are from the RIA back in Dec 2015:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
... or The Woodlands. Big Grin

Thanks 12131. Now I've seen more than one M11 P228 with the markings intact. I wonder what the background stories are with these pistols and how they escaped into civilian life. Could they have all been CPOs? The "M11" and "US" markings are different on the last two sequential guns from all of the rest the M11s pictured. I wonder what that is about? And they don't have the short trigger either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wgsigs,

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That article is good, except for one glaringly embarrassing explanation in the second picture regarding the breech block.

They seem to be holding their values quite well.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:
quote:

They seem to be holding their values quite well.

Quite. I have the original receipt from the previous owner of one of my M11Bs, who bought it directly from the SIG Pro Shop at SIG Sauer Academy for $900.

Q