SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone make "super extra" quiet hearing muffs ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make "super extra" quiet hearing muffs ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have a pair of non-electronic hearing protector muffs, that are rated a 33 db reduction. If I double up with plugs, sometimes that's not quite enough.

Does anyone make any external muff hearing protection that has more then 33 db of noise reduction ? If not, is there any way I could modify the ones I have to be even quieter ? Like replacing the open cell foam on the interior with closed cell foam, or something along those lines ?

I hope I'm asking the right question, I'm not up on sound physics, except I know that the decibel metric is logarithmic in nature.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I think I remember reading that 33 was (or was about) the theoretical max.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
34db is about the highest rating for muffs

There are plugs that get into the 39db range

However if you are doubled up with good products and say it still is not enough, I have to believe the issue is not with the actual sound, but the concussion that is effecting you

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, Who makes a good electronic muff that is reasonable in price and not need the ear plugs with them.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Are you using the plugs correctly? I often see people using ear plugs who do not know how to properly prep and insert them into the ear canal.

If I may, I'll leave this here for any whom it might help.
https://youtu.be/8vHP8K3BsrA

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Are you using the plugs correctly? I often see people using ear plugs who do not know how to properly prep and insert them into the ear canal.

If I may, I'll leave this here for any whom it might help.

Wow, dsiets, thanks for that!

This is like the shoelace tying thing I discovered a few years ago: All this time I've been doing it wrongly.

This is timely, because I just ordered a pair of Walker Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs. That "how to" may mean the difference between success and failure.

To the OP:

I'm going to agree with a previous poster. If you're doubling-up, and assuming the muffs are at least passably good and you're getting at least some additional reduction from the plugs, I'd say sound level on your eardrums might not be the problem.

That being said: Here are URLs to three recent threads on the subject of electronic ears:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7450089824
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...660031124#9660031124
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...350094814#5350094814

Pretty much recognized as "the best" is the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X. Any of the MSA Sordins are probably superior.

Probably next rung down on the ladder is Peltor and Pro Ears? I have a pair of Peltor TacticalPros and they work pretty well. Inside, if anybody's shooting anything BIG: Not enough. I have to double-plug. And they don't work at all with long guns. (Interfere with cheek weld.)

Economy low-pro muffs that work "ok" are the Howard Leight Impact Sport. With those, though, I almost always have to double-plug, even outdoors. And they still interfere with my cheek weld.

I'm going to give a pair of those Walker's I mentioned above a try for long gun. Should be here Tuesday and I'm going to try to get some trigger time in next week. (Been retired a month and still haven't found time for the range? What's up with that?)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the OP should do. If 30+ dB muffs over 30+ dB plugs is not good enough, there is not much more to do short of wearing a helmet.

Electronic ear protection for SHOOTING is not noise cancelling. All it does is let you hear conversation with the sound transmission cutting off automatically as the impulsive noise goes above 85 dB. Then you get the listed protection, but no more. Some of the cheap ones are a little slow on the uptake. Half a gunshot sounds odd.

I see a lot of references to the Sordin Pro X. I do not consider their 18 dB NRR adequate for high volume shooting, even though it may be a good compromise for the "Operator". I am well aware of the post by Trevor whereby he cherry picks frequency ranges to get a higher number that he says is more applicable to gunshots. OK, he can massage the Pro X to get a value of 38.7. If I apply the same formula to my 30 dB NRR Peltors, I get a Trevor Rating of 45. More is better no matter how you arrive at it.

I have a pair of Howard Leight Pro electronics. They are quieter than the usual Sport model but not very comfortable to wear.

Usually I just wear good passive muffs and/or foam plugs. I have heard it all anyhow, and can just concentrate on shooting.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Are you using a muzzle brake? Try switching to a flash hider? Shooting indoors? Switch to outside. Shooting outside under an enclosure? Shoot in the open air.
Other than that: are suppressors legal, in your area? Try one but put aside about a grand beforehand because you will not ever want to shoot without one, after. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
No none of that. This problem is not for ME shooting, it's for all the other young fellas shooting their tacttcool rifles in the booth next to me at an indoor range. I have to wait till someone is reloading their high power rifle before I can shoot my little 9mm pistol groups. I would say I have the same problem with other guys shooting their big bore and magnum revolvers as well. But, a previous poster mentioned concussion waves. That might be the problem right there. Will those waves still damage your hearing, even if they're bothering you still doubled up ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

...If I may, I'll leave this here for any whom it might help.

This was VERY helpful!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a cheap pair of electronic ear muffs at Harbor Freight and am impressed. I paid $20.00 for them and they work really good. You still hear a low thump noise but the "bang" sound is nil. My son wore them and a guy 2 lanes over, in an indoor range, was shooting a 308 rifle and my son said he could barely hear it.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .300 win mag with a Holland muzzle brake. I use the Leight with some foam ear plugs when I check my zero and it does a great job. I have noticed that my safety glasses cause an issue with the seal and I get some sonic leakage so to speak. I also like the sure fire plugs when I am hunting.

Posts: 141 | Location: Fort Myers, FL , USA | Registered: March 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have these Howard Leight mufflers from Amazon and with rubber ear plugs I bought for .58 C each from Amazon together they block out a lot of the noise

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...ywords=howard+leight

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sunkist
posted Hide Post
Fit is possibly more important than NR rating. I bought a non electric set of muffs off a chainsaw display rack and they clamp down giving me a complete seal. You will often find muffs that leave a slight gap where the muff brushes up to your jaw hinge. That effectively negates the rating. When I have these muffs on you have to either tap me on the shoulder or make eye contact.

"In The Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King."

Posts: 161 | Location: North Central Minnesota | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I wish I had looked into this years ago. The tinnitus is deafening.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post