SIGforum
What are the good ammo for the Glock G44?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9360089274

August 01, 2020, 08:51 AM
What are the good ammo for the Glock G44?
Was at the FFL picking up the Beretta 92 LTT Centurion last week, my impulsive wallet decided to grab the G44 they had. So now, I just added a 3rd caliber to the collection. Roll Eyes

I am pleasantly surprised by Glock Gen 5 grip. Almost as sticky as the RTF2 but not as abrasive. I might get a Gen 5 G19 some time down the road, but that's another thread. For now, just want to ask G44 owners what are some the good ammo for this gun? Thanks.

Q

August 01, 2020, 09:10 AM
limblessbiff
Whatever ammo you can find currently
August 01, 2020, 09:15 AM
parabellum
I'd recommend any of the various CCI high velocity stuff, but it's not to be found rght now, I think.
August 01, 2020, 10:32 AM
Patrick-SP2022
Interesting you brought this up Q.
I had not heard much about the G44 here since its introduction.

I kind of have a nagging desire to pick one up but just haven't taken any action.

Please post your range report. Smile

August 01, 2020, 11:12 AM
hudr
I’m with Para. Any late model 22LR I buy starts with CCI Mini Mags. Then try other stuff as it comes along.
August 01, 2020, 11:31 AM
BennerP220
I concur, anything CCI.
August 01, 2020, 12:03 PM
captain127
My 2 cents:
As a general rule in any 22 avoid the cheap bulk pack stuff like the plague!
Bulk pack American made ammo is without a doubt the lowest quality 22 you can buy.
I agree best domestic option is cci, I wouldn’t even bother with Remington Winchester or federal.
I actually feel Mexican made aguila is better quality than federal Remington and Winchester!
I have recently been very happy with eley action ( bought a couple cases of the stuff from killough shooting sports, but I think they are now out of it and selling the newer versions-action and action plus)
I would spend a bit more money on something from Europe like eley lapua or sk before I would drop any cash on domestic ammo, unless you run into a deal on cci ( unlikely in this current panic)
If you find no other option but Winchester Remington or federal go ahead but don’t judge the gun based on these.
With the scarcity of 9mm ammo, I have been tempted to pick up a Glock 44 for a trainer for my center fire glocks.
August 01, 2020, 01:21 PM
Blume9mm
I was goin to say something negative which would have gotten me in trouble again with Para... but then I realized you are talking about a 22lr semi-auto pistol... which is pretty much always a gamble with most ammo... I've had pretty good luck with Federal Champion in bulk... but then CCI is always better... never ventured into the higher cost exotic stuff... but then I also have to say I have not bought any 22lr in a number of years....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
August 01, 2020, 02:09 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I was goin to say something negative which would have gotten me in trouble again with Para...
Cut it out. Stop saying that stuff. Stop referring to me when you post. Stop it. Let it go.

And stay out of Glock threads. What is your problem? Keep it up and you're going to find out just how harsh I can be.
August 01, 2020, 02:31 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I do not have a Glock 44 but have quite a few 22lr pistols. I always break them in with CCI mini mags. After about one thousand rounds I try the other stuff which is cheaper, like Federal Automatch.
August 01, 2020, 02:48 PM
LDD
Glock's primary concern with the G44 was reliability. That is part of the reason why models with later numbers, like the G48, debuted chronologically sooner than the G44.

I have a bunch of Federal Bulk-Cheap-Stuff (i.e. "value pack") ammunition and have never had a single issue shooting it out of my G44 over the hundreds of rounds that I've shot through mine. The only problem I did have was a single bad primer (but that was the ammo's fault, and not unheard of in .22 ammo). I've also shot Gemtech subsonic .22 out of my G44 with suppressor on, and didn't have any issues, cycling-wise.

Now, if only there was an easy way to get an MRDS onto the slide. Milling the G44 slide the way a centerfire Glock slide can be done is likely to cause your G44 slide to disassemble itself under fire Frown.

Though I have CCI mini-mags, I've never tried them in the G44, never needed to.

If I encountered a .22 that would only feed .22 mini mags, I might be more inclined to get rid of that gun than to keep feeding it mini-mags.

To me, .22lrs should be a cheap and cheerful platform. Not a believer in Princess .22s.
August 01, 2020, 02:49 PM
sasquatch28
Mini Mags are the top of the heap for me. That being said, if I can find plated high velocity 22lr, I will usually pick some up.

I have had recent good luck with the Aguila Super Extra, also.
August 01, 2020, 03:20 PM
GCE61
My neighbor bought one and we shoot it often.
The truncated bullets seem to jam nose-first into the chamber. Seems like the 36grn are that shape.
Other than that most everything else works fine.
August 01, 2020, 04:34 PM
grumpy1
Nice! Smile Please let us know your thoughts on shooting it. I have been considering a Glock 44 along with Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS. For now I am still doimg fine with my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new.

As far as ammo I have read that lower velocity subsonic 22LR ammo will probably be problematic. CCI, including SV, as mentioned is good to go along with Aguila Super Extra copper plated HV and even most bulk ammo including CCI Blazer and Remington Golden. Test article below says Federal Auto Match works very well in the Glock 44. Of course a good clean and lube will help being a 22. Glock also designed the Glock 44 to be fine with dry firing though for extreme dry firing a snap cap type device would be a good idea.

https://gear-report.com/glock-...l-3000-round-review/
August 01, 2020, 04:51 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
If I encountered a .22 that would only feed .22 mini mags, I might be more inclined to get rid of that gun than to keep feeding it mini-mags.

^^^^^^^^^
I agree, but for awhile the minimags were only a penny or two more per round. I stocked up while I had the chance. They are also a bit cleaner than Federal Automatch.
August 01, 2020, 05:04 PM
sjames
I’ve not had a single issue with my 44. I’ve used mini-mags, federal auto match, some older SV Rem surplus, and some Win bulk pack stuff in 555 round packs.

No problems

ETA: it’s just about the perfect companion to my Gen 5 19s.
August 01, 2020, 05:39 PM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So now, I just added a 3rd caliber to the collection. Roll Eyes

Your first .22LR?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
August 01, 2020, 05:52 PM
JBP55
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I concur, anything CCI.

What he said.
August 01, 2020, 08:05 PM
DaBigBR
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
I’ve not had a single issue with my 44. I’ve used mini-mags, federal auto match, some older SV Rem surplus, and some Win bulk pack stuff in 555 round packs.

No problems

Must be because the gun came from such a reputable source...

Glad it's working out for you. I have another one that I'm on the fence about listing vs just keeping...
August 01, 2020, 09:24 PM
swiss_seth
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:

No problems

This has been my experience too. The only time I ran into jams is when I didn't focus on loading each round toward the end of a full mag so the bullets are pointing up in the right position.

Hard to explain but once you load the mag for the 44 you will see what I mean. Thats my only gripe, the magazine could have been better in its execution up towards the feed lips ie front leading edge.

Other than that I really love this G44. really accurate and fun to shoot. I am actually taking it out tomorrow