SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19X alternative, FN 509
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19X alternative, FN 509 Login/Join 
posted
I was reading up on the new Glock 19X at the same time i was holding my FN 509. The 509 has slide that is about the same as a 19 and has 17 plus 1 capacity. It also has a super ergonomic grip. I will probably purchase the new 19X but the 509 may be a great choice

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Sorry but given FN very long poor history with the FNP and FNX pistols. I would not want to be a beta tester for the 509 with my own money.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My boss bought a 509 6 months ago and handed it to me saying “ here test and shoot this for me”
It’s been a decent reliable gun feels better than my FNS but i still prefer my G19.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think a better alternative would be an M&P 2.0 full size. Same capacity. The barrel is a .25" longer, which for this size gun is either irrelevant or a slight positive. While it doesn't have the breadth of third party support of Glock (no one does), it will be vastly better than FN. And it's ergonomics are better than the Glock's.

You could also throw the P320 Carry into that mix also.

While the FN isn't a bad gun, I don't think it had anything to recommend it over other players in a now crowded market, where the other players have better developed product lines.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I’m with you on the 2.0 M&P. I really like the 9c 2.0

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Like FN rifles, pistols not so much.

If I wasn't into Glocks and HKs, I'd try an M&P 2.0 9MM Compact.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think a better alternative would be an M&P 2.0 full size. Same capacity. The barrel is a .25" longer, which for this size gun is either irrelevant or a slight positive. While it doesn't have the breadth of third party support of Glock (no one does), it will be vastly better than FN. And it's ergonomics are better than the Glock's.

You could also throw the P320 Carry into that mix also.

While the FN isn't a bad gun, I don't think it had anything to recommend it over other players in a now crowded market, where the other players have better developed product lines.

The 2.0's are sleepers. I bought the full size and the compact. I put the apex hard sear in them and the triggers are fantastic. I also love the grip texture

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Experience with late FNS9C was mixed. Far better alternatives to the unproven 509 - has yet to have its voluntary improvement after all - include G19, M&P M2.0 in 4" or 4.25", several of the PPQ-M2 series, and even the similar Canik.

As Larry V has indicated, swap the sear in M&P M2.0 with Apex two-dot sear and one has a great, rather inexpensive, pistol. PPQ-M2 as-is is close.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I was interested in a FN pistol until I read about their customer service... or lack there of.

The P320 accidental discharge issue was a bit embarrassing, but the way Sig has handled their voluntary upgrade gives me confidence that they stand behind their guns.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my 509, great ergos. Handles well in rapid fire- Bill drills. Can’t wait to see a compact or sub.

The M&P compact 2.0 has a problem. The magazine has a huge gap at the front leaving exposed about 1/4 to 1/2” of space and I think it just looks plain shitty. Called them and they said as long as they shoot it’s in spec. I think it’s mis cut or something on the machinery is off. Some guns look flush and well fit, others not so much. I will buy one when I find a decent fit.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Some guns look flush and well fit, others not so much. I will buy one when I find a decent fit.

You must hate Glocks then.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned with firearm function and weapon - human interface than "looks".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have a 509 with about 500 rds thru it with no issues, It fits my hand better than a G19 and my trigger finger does not rub on the trigger guard.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy purchased a FNP awhile back and wishes he hadn't. Very difficult to find holsters, magazines, and night sights. Not sure if it still is an issue but I would want to check before I purchased one.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Love my 509, great ergos. Handles well in rapid fire- Bill drills. Can’t wait to see a compact or sub.

The M&P compact 2.0 has a problem. The magazine has a huge gap at the front leaving exposed about 1/4 to 1/2” of space and I think it just looks plain shitty. Called them and they said as long as they shoot it’s in spec. I think it’s mis cut or something on the machinery is off. Some guns look flush and well fit, others not so much. I will buy one when I find a decent fit.

WOW, I just looked at my 2.0 it's maybe 1/8" Glocks have more if I ever care to look at that. My hand is always wrapped around it and I never look at that. Not something I will ever loose sleep over let alone give a second thought.