SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Gen 4 to Gen 3 recoil spring conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Gen 4 to Gen 3 recoil spring conversion Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I have two Glock 21 Gen 4s, one of which I am leaving stock, and the other of which I want to convert to a .45 Super.

The problem is, finding higher power Gen 4 springs in the weight I want is difficult. Gen 3 springs are easy to come by.

Has anyone used a RECOIL ASSEMBLY ADAPTER RING FOR GEN4 GLOCKS that allows the use of Gen 3 spring.

Or have used the Jager Gen 4 Captured Hardened Steel Guide Rods.

Any thought or opinions, or alternatives, would be appreciated.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I have two Glock 21 Gen 4s, one of which I am leaving stock, and the other of which I want to convert to a .45 Super.

The problem is, finding higher power Gen 4 springs in the weight I want is difficult. Gen 3 springs are easy to come by.

Has anyone used a RECOIL ASSEMBLY ADAPTER RING FOR GEN4 GLOCKS that allows the use of Gen 3 spring.

Or have used the Jager Gen 4 Captured Hardened Steel Guide Rods.

Any thought or opinions, or alternatives, would be appreciated.

I have a Jager RSA for my Gen 4 G20
Good piece of kit.

To convert the Gen 4 to use the Gen 3 un-captured RSA I would recommend finding an adapter with a "spring pocket" machined into the "spring side" of the adapter.
I have one that does not have the pocket and it is a pain with heavier springs.

This the one I should have bought...
https://www.blacklistind.com/p...t/guide-rod-adapter/
Not sure if it takes ISMI or Wolff springs.
You'll want to verify.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Any reliability issues with the Jager?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Any reliability issues with the Jager?

No.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the ring adapter on my gen4 glock19 to use a gen3 style spring setup. No issues. On takedown it can obviously fall out but that’s not really an issue.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an adapter that I bought from Lonewolf. I bought a 24# recoil spring and a tungsten recoil rod and the adapter. So far , it's been 100% in my Glock 21. Underwood 120 grain external hollow point supposed to be going at 1600fps. It definitely has more recoil than a +p. I'm not fond of recoil but this is certainly acceptable in my Glock 21.
It really makes steel swing and ring !! Big Grin

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Btw.... In most of my reading, folks suggest not using Glock's factory barrel for 45 Super. They say that the chamber is not fully supported. I'm no expert buy I went ahead and bought an aftermarket barrel. When it arrived, I compared them and the Glock chamber is not as supported as my aftermarket barrel.
Do I need it ?? Who knows ?? mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Btw.... In most of my reading, folks suggest not using Glock's factory barrel for 45 Super. They say that the chamber is not fully supported. I'm no expert buy I went ahead and bought an aftermarket barrel. When it arrived, I compared them and the Glock chamber is not as supported as my aftermarket barrel.
Do I need it ?? Who knows ?? mike

The 45 Super case was designed for use in standard, unramped Colt barrels. These barrels do not have a lot of case support. This is the same style Colt uses in their 10mm Delta pistols; you'll see a lot of references to not using super hot 10mm loads in those versus 1911's with ramped barrels. With that in mind your standard Glock barrel would probably be ok, as long as you are using Super brass. But the extra margin of safety your new barrel affords isn't a bad thing Smile

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My plan is to buy a KKM barrel. My goal is to shoot hard cast bullets and the glock barrel is not ideal for that. It also offers better case support.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
For reference, the .460 Rowland kit I ordered ships with a 24# spring and an adapter for gen3 to gen4.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suarez makes a recoil kit, I have it in two of their slides, works really well.

I haven't tested them in an OEM slide, that might be a good thing to do and at least report back whether the slide cycles or not.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post