SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New pistola for USBP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New pistola for USBP Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Is the 47 a longer-barrel version of the rotary-barrel 46?
I highly doubt it, I think it's a G45 with a G17 slide, albeit with the ubiquitous hole in the bottom of slide, ala G34 / G48, when the dustcover end before the muzzle. Because you need a hole there, for some reason.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Is the 47 a longer-barrel version of the rotary-barrel 46?
I highly doubt it, I think it's a G45 with a G17 slide, albeit with the ubiquitous hole in the bottom of slide, ala G34 / G48, when the dustcover end before the muzzle. Because you need a hole there, for some reason.

The hole is for the front sight tool.

I noticed the long base pads too. I believe that's a result of a survey that was done and that's what agents wanted. So since the front half moon is gone, the basepad has to be long af!

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because you need a hole there, for some reason.

It’s for a tactical on the fly front sight change. Can you imagine losing a front sight in a firefight and not being able to change it? Terrifying thought. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, G47. MOS slide.

Most importantly; going to 9mm vice 40 (I think some of the BP officers were issued 357 Sig too?).

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ok. I don't get it. Didn't they just recreate the G17? (Pic snagged from another website)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Ok. I don't get it. Didn't they just recreate the G17? (Pic snagged from another website)

A G17 Gen5 MOS would have been just fine. Basically the same anyways.

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redrider1596:
The hole is for the front sight tool.
Learn something everyday! Thanks! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Then USBP wouldn't feel special.

FBI got G19M, Army M17/18-P320, so they needed some love. Big Grin

Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Then USBP wouldn't feel special.

FBI got G19M, Army M17/18-P320, so they needed some love. Big Grin

Well either way I'm glad it's a Glock. I've hated the p2000 since the academy and ive used glocks for uspsa for almost 7 or 8 years so I'm happy. Lots of guys wanted the 320 and some even wanted the CZ p10....sorry guys!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatopescado:
We are going Glock and 9mm. Not sure which one yet.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/n...ntract-duty-handguns

This is outstanding! Congratulations. I hope it's the G45 or G17/G19 in the Gen 5. I really feel like Glock has learned from their Gen 4 mistakes. The Gen 5s have been exceptional handguns on our range.

Will you let us know what model and duty load when and if you can?

I'm personally hoping for 124-grain HST +P!

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well either way I'm glad it's a Glock. I've hated the p2000 since the academy and ive used glocks for uspsa for almost 7 or 8 years so I'm happy. Lots of guys wanted the 320 and some even wanted the CZ p10....sorry guys!
Yeah, it's a solid choice - not that the other options are bad, but it's hard to argue against using Glocks. CZ are reportedly great but I don't see any large US agency adopting them.

posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a 17 gen5 mos with a short dust cover. Why?

Now it can take that G19 MOS slide, making it a G19/G45 MOS version. I presume that the 47 slide could be mounted on the G19, but it remains to be confirmed. Modularity of components between those guns probably gives five available configurations. Gives you more options and interchangeable parts allow for flexibility in support. Some logistic advantages too - say, an optic on G17 slide fails but you want a full capacity frame; you drop your G19 slide with zeroed optic on it and are ready to go vs having to mount and zero a new optic. Just my thoughts, no official knowledge.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I really hope the G47's slide is compatible with the Gen 5 G19.

They I can pair a G47 with my G19, and have a G47, G45, G19, and G19L as options.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I'm with Para. The 47? What in the high holy hell is this?

At least I'm not alone!

I mean, I haven't dropped trou over the newest Glocks, but I didn't think I was that out of touch....

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatopescado:
We use the H&K P2000 right now.

Some of the guys I talked to, said the new Glock may be just that, a new Glock, not just a modified exhisting model. We should find out pretty quick.

Do you like the P2000?

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question keeps coming up - why the Glock 47 instead of a 17 MOS ?

The answer is it got Glock an $85 million contract for 60,000 pistols and associated support gear and services.

Why / how did it get Glock the CBP contract?

The ability to swap the slides of the G19 and G47 and vice versa meets the modularity requirement of the CBP Statement Of Work (SOW).

You can read the SOW here: CBP Statement Of Work

quote:
2.0 SCOPE
2.3 The family of firearms shall include three variations of sizes, with an emphasis on modularity.

2 PISTOL #1
This pistol shall be designated as a “full size”, and shall include a full size frame and full size slide combination.

4.2.1 Height: shall not exceed 6.00 inches.
4.2.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
4.2.3 Length: shall not exceed 8.10”
4.2.4 Weight: shall not exceed 32 ounces
4.2.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 4.20” and 5.10”
4.2.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm.

4.3 PISTOL #2
This pistol shall be designated as a “mid-size”, and shall include a mid-size frame and mid-size slide combination.

4.3.1 Height: shall be between 4.75” and 5.60”
4.3.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
4.3.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.50”
4.3.4 Weight: shall not exceed 30 ounces
4.3.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.50” and 4.50”
4.3.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #1 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm. Shall accept full size magazines (Pistol #1) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

4.4 PISTOL #3
This pistol shall be designated as a “compact”, and shall include a compact frame and compact slide combination.

4.4.1 Height: shall be between 4.00” and 4.90”
4.4.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
4.4.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.00”
4.4.4 Weight: shall not exceed 28 ounces
4.4.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.00” and 3.80”
4.4.6 Modularity: Compatibility with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm is preferred but not required. Shall accept full size and mid-size magazines (Pistol #1 and Pistol #2) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

Like the proverbial Camel, the G47 is a horse designed by committee. It is part of a system of guns including the G19 MOS Gen 5 and the G26 Gen 5. I personally have no desire to own a G47 as I am hoping for a G45 MOS to be released at NRAAM but the G47 will work just fine for those it is intended for.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
I really feel like Glock has learned from their Gen 4 mistakes.

What's wrong with the Gen 4?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my thought, too. Finger grooves, maybe?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
The ability to swap the slides of the G19 and G47 and vice versa meets the modularity requirement of the CBP Statement Of Work (SOW).

Sweet. I was just about to buy a G45, but now I'm going to hold off for a G47 and have even more options.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
I really feel like Glock has learned from their Gen 4 mistakes.

What's wrong with the Gen 4?
Lots of ppl hated the BTF - mine do it from time to time with cheap range ammo, but never with more hot stuff.

The G45 slings brass 15+ feet at 3 o'clock all day long, zero exceptions. It's really remarkable how consistent it is.