SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I Love Purdy Guns, Even If They're Almost Useless...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Love Purdy Guns, Even If They're Almost Useless... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Finally got to make some pics of it, not with my Nikon kit but with a little Sony P&S, but they still look decent.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4577 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are beauties, and feel so good in the hand, even my big mits.

I don't have a .380, but a .22 version. It is so much fun to shoot.

And while the .380 isn't the latest whiz-bang round, and seems anemic in a world of +P+ 9mm or .357 ammo, it is still a decent round in a nice, handy, smallish pistol.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Great score! I'm always looking for one of them as well. I shoulda, woulda, coulda many times....next time I say!

Go shoot it and report back!

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice score and good trade, no reason to keep stuff that you can't use, converting it to that pistol is a great idea.

I've had that happen a few times at the used case, so I try and walk by it now without looking, last few times I ended up with a 686 no dash no lock 357 Smith, then a 29-3 44 Mag Smith, a Ruger 44 mag Biasley Blackhawk, P245, P226, used guns are the way to go...

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range and figured I’d post a simple report... simple because there’s really not much to tell.

I shot 3 boxes of FMJ through it, including Blazer Brass, Geco, and Fiocchi, plus 1 box of my daily carry ammo, Hornady’s Critical Defense. It digested all of them perfectly and without a single hiccup of any kind! I had removed the red bullseye by the end of the first magazine, so that gives you an idea of accuracy and POA-POI! Distance to target was 25’, and the target the range provided was a 50-yard smallbore rifle target, so it wasn’t a big one to start with! Big Grin

Is it a “keeper”? Danged straight it is!!! So, sorry Q, but I don’t anticipate trading this one any time soon! Wink

Oh, and regarding recoil.... definitely more than a .22, but waaay less than a P230/232 or Walther PPK/S produces, so it qualifies as a soft shooter and MAYBE good for a beginner. I say maybe because this being an original Model 84 (no letter suffix), it doesn’t have a decocker so you have to thumb down the hammer manually if you want to carry with one in the chamber like I normally do. That may not be the best option for a beginner; an F or FS model would be preferable...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4577 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
your piece is definitely in great condition..CS has has the 'excellent' condition ones for $50 more but id prefer to handpick my own

Mine was priced at $375.00, so it sounds like it still would have been a better deal all around. But hey, at least there's more of them out there; that's good to know! Big Grin

Edit to add: Oh, and unlike my Sig P239, parts and magazines are STILL plentiful, despite this being a 39 year old gun, so Sig can go suck an egg!!! LOL

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Those are beauties, and feel so good in the hand, even my big mits.

I don't have a .380, but a .22 version. It is so much fun to shoot.

I'm thinking I'll probably want one of those before too terribly long! As much as I like this one already, I can see a .22 version in my not-too-distant future. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
And while the .380 isn't the latest whiz-bang round, and seems anemic in a world of +P+ 9mm or .357 ammo, it is still a decent round in a nice, handy, smallish pistol.

That is very true! What many fail to think about is the .380ACP or 9mm kurz if you will, has served many police departments and armed forces around the world for decades, and it did the job adequately... and that was with FMJ ball ammo!

In today's world with the latest bullet technology, the little round does not fall far behind the 9mm parabellum in overall effectiveness, and that is what counts! Penetration tests using Hornady's FTX projectile in their Critical Defense loads are within the range required by the FBI labs for penetration distances, both in bare gelatin and when covering is used. Expansion and weight retention is also excellent, which are critical factors in determining whether a bullet will perform or not (without having to shoot live humans to test it further).

So yes, they're not the most powerful at all, but they're not near as pathetic as they used to be, back when they still served police forces around the world! Do I feel undergunned with a .380? Obviously not. Would I want something bigger and badder if possible? Naturally. But when the situation calls for something I have that's chambered in .380, I will not hesitate to carry it.

Bill R.
North Alabama

posted Hide Post
Beretta medium frame love!

Mine is a “well loved” model 81 Israeli import, but when it comes to a really great soft shooting centerfire pistol, it’s top notch.

It’s tough to “justify” a .32 of this size and weight, but when it comes to actually shooting, it’s an amazing pistol.

Bill R.

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
but when it comes to actually shooting, it’s an amazing pistol.

FWLIW, that's justification enough for me.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
<<snip>>
Mine is a “well loved” model 81 Israeli import, but when it comes to a really great soft shooting centerfire pistol, it’s top notch.

It’s tough to “justify” a .32 of this size and weight, but when it comes to actually shooting, it’s an amazing pistol.

Bill R.

From one Bill R. to another... if I came across a nice one in .32ACP (7.65mm), I'd probably want it too, despite the caliber! Big Grin

To offset the extremely slick front and backstrap of the grip, I added thin traction tape from Ace Hardware (same thing as skateboard tape), and now it is a whole world better to hold onto! Still gonna switch out to Beretta checkered wood grips when I can get a pair though... the ones with the medallions in them. I want it to remain purdy while being more functional! Wink

Bill R.
North Alabama