SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on Sig CPO guns?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Sig CPO guns? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I would not buy a CPO P320. Its a maturing platform and who knows if they made the proper machining and fixes to fix the drop safety among other issues.

CPO P226? Yes all day.

Do you own a P320?

I own a number of them in 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig, in subcompact, compact/carry, and full size.

Fix the drop safety? Not an issue at all. The pistols work. They function well. They're reliable. Parts are plentiful. Numerous options exist for them. They're modular and work as advertised. They're affordable. They're "drop-safe."

Presently Sig supplies the M17 and M18 versions to the US military. The pistols are carried defensively, shot in competition, and carried in law enforcement as well as the military.

The "drop-safe" issue is a non-issue. It has been for several years now.

A Sig CPO 320 is going to be every bit as good as a new pistol, and it will be had at an excellent price. The last two P320's I bought were CPO pistols, one of which I've been shooting at matches. No worries at all. The P320's have managed whatever ammunition I've fed them, in a variety of magazines and magazine extensions, including Armscor mags and ETS mags. I've run them with factory springs and various 1911 springs, and thousands of reloads. I've run them on curved and straight factory triggers, as well as aftermarket triggers, guide rods, grip modules, and springs. They work. I have no reservations carrying them.

Why would you?

Do you own a CPO P320 and have you had "drop safe" issues with this P320...or are you speculating based on something you read on the internet?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CPO is a M11A1 that was graded excellent condition. Best pistol I own. Came with a standard sear and lever.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
There are no problems with CPO guns, same with CPO P320's.

I've bought CPO's for 15 years and they've always been great guns.

Including also used SIG Classics I've never had any problem with anything SIG....

This last December bought a CPO P229 9mm that was offered "as new" and it completely appears to new, barrel/slide/frame don't seem to have wear.

It was $519 too which for a new P229 I thought was a good deal.

I have heard armory fresh stuff that was never issued from PD's sometimes goes into CPO stock.

Over time I have gotten SIG P5, P220 9mm EU, P225, P226, P228, 3 * P229(2 .40's and a 9mm), 9mm SP2022, 9mm P250SC, 9mm P290RS, P238.

Of all of those I only got rid of 2 of the P229s(so the 3rd is the "new" CPO P229) and the two P229's I sold were to friends who liked them so much they bought them off me.

Plus they weren't 9mm were all my others are except the P238.

TLDR Summary : CPO's can be a great way to get a cheaper SIG, especially if you plan on using it anyway, 1 year warranty too so don't be afraid to use it hard Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CPOs are GREAT to go, typically. Whenever I've come across one at any of our competition (we usually don't carry them ourselves), they've looked like new. Ironically the only instance where I found any possible issue with one was in our own shop. Our buyer at the time went off his usual program and bought 7 or 8 CPO SP2022s; considering what we were selling them for they were probably one heck of a deal from SIG. One of the guns had some obvious slide wear that had to have been overlooked. It sold anyways, without hesitation on the buyer's part.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
CPOs are GREAT to go, typically. Whenever I've come across one at any of our competition (we usually don't carry them ourselves), they've looked like new. Ironically the only instance where I found any possible issue with one was in our own shop. Our buyer at the time went off his usual program and bought 7 or 8 CPO SP2022s; considering what we were selling them for they were probably one heck of a deal from SIG. One of the guns had some obvious slide wear that had to have been overlooked. It sold anyways, without hesitation on the buyer's part.

SIG CPO's come in different grades, I have only recently started seeing "as new" or "new old stock" ones, often you see them listed VG(Very Good Condition) or EXC (Excellent) etc

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:

SIG CPO's come in different grades, I have only recently started seeing "as new" or "new old stock" ones, often you see them listed VG(Very Good Condition) or EXC (Excellent) etc

I have never seen SIG CPO's graded.
This sounds like local gun shop meddling.
SIG CPO is one thing, one grade.
And SIG stakes their rep on it.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:

That's a new one on me. Never seen such labeling for CPO SIGs. The Part Number label actually says that? For example, UDE229R-9-NOS?

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:

Nope, they are graded from factory.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Nope, they are graded from factory.

Gonna need some examples or I call BS on this.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gonna need some examples or I call BS on this.

BS? Have you owned any CPO SIGs? If so, what does the Part Number label say?

Q

NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Hey Q : I am the OP that started this discussion. Have my P320 at home now and appears brand new in every way. Or refinished so well you can't tell otherwise.
The larger label on top left side of box, on the box side, states "UD320SC-9-B1"in BOLD large letters. IN really tiny, had to get my glasses writing under that printed on same label "P320sc used excellent condition"
Also there is another label on bottom right on box side that states "320 sc 9mm 3.6 bl NS LN C " With my sir # printed under that.
The first label on the box was perfectly applied. Like the box was pre-made that way. The second label ( with the Serial # ) was slapped on slightly crooked. (???) So are these guns "graded"?

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
UD = Used
B = Black
1 = Excellent condition

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
For guns with more than 10 rounds, there is the "E" right after "UD".

Q

NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q! as always, you are an endless fountain of useful information. Big Grin

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
SIGWALLY, the first label is for sure from factory. The second one likely is from distributor or dealer.

Here is one I used to own.

Q

posted Hide Post
So, given that there's different grades (something I hadn't been aware of since I've never bought a CPO gun), does that mean there's different pricing levels as well? Or is more the case of the luck of the draw on what the dealer (and subsequently the end consumer) gets?

Of the CPO SP2022s we sold that I posted about earlier, I just assumed that they were purchased from SIG under the same SKU/part number, and that we paid the same for each one. Plus this buy occurred somewhere close to seven or eight years ago, so my recollection is rather fuzzy on the details.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Q, The CPO box I just received is red cardboard. Nicely done with foam cutouts. The top left label is the same size and location, but the second line of type is REALLY tiny. The bottom right label is as I described. I am very impressed overall. I saved about $150.00 or so over a NIB one. I am a happy camper.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ CPOs have come in a variety of boxes. The very early ones weren't even red, just whatever SIG had on hand at the time. Then, came the red plastic cases. Now, they are the red cardboard boxes like yours.

Q

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Correction : Q I think honestly have only seen B1 "Excellent" and not like new without checking my most recent CPO's box

They say the NRA grade "Excellent, Very Good, Good" from my history with them

You will find anything that's not a 9mm or .45 ACP SIG CPO cheaper for the same condition.

In the last month I've seen P226 9mm CPO's go from $599 in multiple places to $649 barely anywhere and now I don't see any for $600's.

Gunbroker had some buy now P226 CPO's 9mm "like new" I saw also for 599- 649 but they're gone too now

Many places get CPO's and I never can tell if there is any reason they have different prices.

i.e. I've seen the same gun/grade/caliber for a different price somewhere else.

I check gun.deals and wikiarms.com for pricing, and general googling and www.gunbroker.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Q; I have always been very impressed with the amount of knowledge you have on Sig firearms. I consider myself a reasonably knowledgable individual on Sig also, but you seem to possess that extra bit of information that sets you apart. For instance not only knowing about the CPO grading system but also what each individual code actually means.
So my question is this: Are there printed books, websites, clubs ,periodicals ,or other forums that you access, that the rest of us can gain the type of knowledge that you possess? Please take this as the compliment I mean it to be. I hope you never tire doing this for us, in many cases you are the "sharp edge of the sword" when it comes to the fine details we all cherish. Thank you Sir.