SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lord Help Me: Sig 1911 Two-Tone Ultra-Compact Want
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord Help Me: Sig 1911 Two-Tone Ultra-Compact Want Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I too may approaching a "Lord Help Me" decision to purchase a Sig 1911 Ultra-Compact, so any additional input on your actual experience and/or opinion of them would be most welcome.

Thank you!

I have fired ("run" to be tacticool) right at 1700 rounds of FMJ 230 grain from junk to quality stuff and 75 rounds of Federal HST 230 grain +P.. Never an issue with no failure to load, fire or extract. Accuracy to 15 yards has been POI is POA.

When I first took it to the range, I was getting some ejected brass to the head. I called Sig and they sent a shipping label. I included a note that I also noted my brass was getting dinged on ejection, but I was not reloading so not concerned about that. Quick turnaround , and returned with notes from the gunsmith stating they adjusted the extractor, polished the feed ramp and lowered, flared and polished the ejection port. I'm 100% satisfied with this gun.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

I want one too! With an ambi safety!
I'm asking this question out of curiosity, not being argumentative: what is the attraction of an ambi safety?

I have relatively little experience with 1911 types, it was the sidearm when I was USN, back in the 1950s, and I never had anything to do with that type until I acquired a P938 fairly recently. The P938 started life, as I believe all of them do, with an ambi safety, but the one that I bought from a member here had been modified to a single-sided safety, which was one of the attractions for me.

Is there something I should know about ambi safeties?

I tend to avoid 1911s with ambidextrous safeties if at all possible. IMO, they literally double the chance that the safety can be unintentionally snagged off SAFE when carrying. Also, in the case with my Colt Special Combat, which has enlarged ambidextrous safeties, the right side safety can sometimes contact my the knuckle on my right hand under recoil and cause it to engage the safety unless I keep my thumb firmly on the left side safety, which I normally do anyway.

For a CCW 1911, I wouldn't consider anything but a single side safety with a very distinct and crisp thumb safety. I want to hear and feel the "SNAP!" when going from SAFE to FIRE and vice versa. If the safety is the least bit sloppy or indistinct, I am immediately turned off.

The Dan Wesson Vigil Commander I recently purchased has what I consider to be the perfect thumb safety. VERY crisp and audible detent that lets you know when going hot and safe. While at the store, they had one of the new STI STACCATO - P pistols in stock. Beautiful gun except it had mushy ambi safeties. Absolute deal breaker for me. The new Wilson EDC X9 looks awesome, but I wouldn't consider one unless I had a chance to check out the thumb safety personally.

To me, the feel of the thumb safety is just as important as the trigger on a 1911. I guess that makes me a thumb safety snob. Eek

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to the 'inspiration' of the OP and other's in this thread, I picked up an Ultra-Compact in Nitron today.

A gun dealer (Hagues / no affiliation to them) on GB has them. It is new-old-stock (vintage 2013), with three mags, SIG night sights, owner's manual and the registration card packaged in a SIG cardboard box.

I did not have the willpower to resist at $625 shipped.

I am looking forward to getting it out to the range soon - hopefully this weekend!

Rob

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post