SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lord Help Me: Sig 1911 Two-Tone Ultra-Compact Want
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord Help Me: Sig 1911 Two-Tone Ultra-Compact Want Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I once thought I had all the handguns I could need or want. Rimfire and centerfire revolvers: Check. Rimfire and centerfire auto-loaders: Check.

Turned out I was wrong. Go figure.

For the longest time I also thought I had no use for either the .45 ACP round nor 1911-pattern pistols.

Turned out I was wrong about that, too.

So now I find myself with a desire for a Sig 1911 Two-Tone Ultra-Compact in .45 ACP

My wife's gonna go spare.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Just Do It - I saw one at the range used and I snapped it up - It is a Dream to shoot - And maybe lift your cover garment a little.

Do It

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just when you think your are done something else catches your eye. Get it, You only live once and that's a good addition to your collection.

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
i have a couple Sig 1911's and the C3 is bout as prefect a 1911 there is...in my humble opinion, lol

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't necessarily condone sinning, if ya gonna sin...do it with a 1911. Cool

I was an early sinner. Got my first 1911 in 1972.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I want one too! With an ambi safety! Oh, in all black also! Smile Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

I want one too! With an ambi safety!
I'm asking this question out of curiosity, not being argumentative: what is the attraction of an ambi safety?

I have relatively little experience with 1911 types, it was the sidearm when I was USN, back in the 1950s, and I never had anything to do with that type until I acquired a P938 fairly recently. The P938 started life, as I believe all of them do, with an ambi safety, but the one that I bought from a member here had been modified to a single-sided safety, which was one of the attractions for me.

Is there something I should know about ambi safeties?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'm asking this question out of curiosity, not being argumentative: what is the attraction of an ambi safety?

I have relatively little experience with 1911 types, it was the sidearm when I was USN, back in the 1950s, and I never had anything to do with that type until I acquired a P938 fairly recently. The P938 started life, as I believe all of them do, with an ambi safety, but the one that I bought from a member here had been modified to a single-sided safety, which was one of the attractions for me.

My guess is that it has something to do with 18 DAI's April 23 post, where he notes:

"I am looking hard at the Colt Defender - especially the new Combat Elite version. But I would need to take a requal on 1911 pistols as it has been decades since I carried one. And I am a lefty, so there is a need for an ambi safety."

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
quote:
quote:

My guess is that it has something to do with 18 DAI's April 23 post, where he notes:

"I am looking hard at the Colt Defender - especially the new Combat Elite version. But I would need to take a requal on 1911 pistols as it has been decades since I carried one. And I am a lefty, so there is a need for an ambi safety."
Well, I certainly understand that, but let me re-phrase my question: For a personally owned pistol -- not one that needs to satisfy buth left-handed and right-handed users -- is there any advantage to an ambi safety, vs. a single-sided one that is on the correct side for the user?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks Merc50! Yes, I'm left handed and need an ambi. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a legitimate argument for the need to be prepared to operate a pistol either strong-hand or weak-hand, in a defensive situation.

I have a P938, which I carry on occasion. While I have considered removing the ambi safety (I am right handed), I have chosen to leave it as-is. I also practice with it weak-hand as well.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want one too! With an ambi safety! Oh, in all black also! Smile Thanks! Regards 18DAI

Does such a model from SIG exist?

I just check their web-site and did not see one listed.

Looks like your thread on "compact .45's" has inspired some wallet emptying activity!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Looks like your thread on "compact .45's" has inspired some wallet emptying activity!

Unfortunately, my wallet is already empty. I want it (I think), but I doubt I'll be acquiring one anytime soon Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Regarding V-Tail's question: I really enjoy shooting with both hands with everything I own. Always have. I think about 40% or so is weak side for me. Some days I shoot better lefty, too. I therefore like having an ambi on my 1911.

Regarding the OP: That's a good looking gun. Do it.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Do it! You won't be sorry.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

A necessity if you're left-handed and want to shoot 1911s. For right-handers a case can be made either way.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too may approaching a "Lord Help Me" decision to purchase a Sig 1911 Ultra-Compact, so any additional input on your actual experience and/or opinion of them would be most welcome.

Thank you!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several things that are certainties in life: death, taxes, and Sig Forum enablers. God Bless you all. Cool

Just go get the gun already. Smile

If Sig does not offer an ambi safety, would another manufacturers' safety work?

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Mine was a 42nd birthday present from my gf (she bought the gun) and kids (they bought the grips).

I carry it whenever I wear a suit.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I certainly understand that, but let me re-phrase my question: For a personally owned pistol -- not one that needs to satisfy buth left-handed and right-handed users -- is there any advantage to an ambi safety, vs. a single-sided one that is on the correct side for the user?

Because there is no single sided left hand safety made for the 1911 unless it is a dedicated left handed design 1911. The right handed lever, on the left side of the pistol, is needed because it is the side where the safety actually engages. The left handed lever, on the right side, is hung off the pin of the right handed lever that goes thru the frame of the pistol. This allows lefties to engage the safety with their left thumb without having to change their grip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paten,

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post