SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question... From not a Glock Guy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question... From not a Glock Guy Login/Join 
posted
All,

As with many of you, I am a die hard SIG fan and own many.

However, I also own 2 Glocks, a Gen 3 Glock 19 and a Gen 4 Glock 17.

Unlike my SIGs, I have few mags for these. I believe I only have 4 factory mags for each.

I want to grab some more and had a question about the PMAG for Glock.

I have read that early on, most people did not put much faith in them and only used them for training/range sessions.

I have also read they do not like steel cased and aluminum cased ammo as the extra friction from those metals on the polymer may cause them to malfunction, especially when dirty.

Current information is that some are now using them for serious work (duty, CCW) given that they have to be inspected more often due to a lack of steel liner.

I need some more mags and the best price I can find for factory mags is $24.99 each plus tax and shipping (if a minimum amount is not ordered).

Would you trust any of the PMAG (or Korean mags for that matter) for real work? Do you have personal or eye-witness examples of failures that would not allow you to personally carry these mags and relegate them to training only mags?

I would like to get 6 more for each platform and factory mags are a little out of reach for me at $24.99 (as of today).

Thanks for the input...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
I use Magpul PMAGs in my daily carry Glock 19. I have a separate set that are used as range mags. The range mags (a set of four) have a few thousand rounds through them. They are ejected onto the dirt/mud whatever at my outdoor range. I have not had any malfunctions. I take them apart once or twice a year to clean them.

Posts: 259 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I've been using them in my G19 for 2+ years.

They work without a hiccup and aluminum cases don't seem to be an issue. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds using the mags in 10 and 15 capacities and they function like you expect.

I EDC them in my G19. They are very good to use for CCW work with the necessary faith you want in your CCW gear.

The price is excellent and there's no reason not to grab as many as you can afford or find. Loaded or unloaded, they work just fine.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LGS current price is $11.99 each plus tax for the 19 and $12.99 each for the 17.

Looked at them yesterday while picking up another 15 Gen 3 Windowed PMAGS.

They had "happy sticks" as well, but I did not look at the price.

They had a shit-ton of the Glock PMAGS.

So far, they sound good to go. All of the bad reviews I read were from Like 2015 or 16, just after their release.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
While my agency issues us (3) mags for our G22s, I have 6 mags for my G19 and 6 mags for my G23. I purchased the mags through Natchez for about $20 ea. I have different base pads on the 3 practice mags. My carry mags are factory. None of my factory mags have any issues. I'm also a Sig guy, but have to deal with Glock. My philosophy is to get all factory Glock mags.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've run the Pmags quite a bit, without any difficulty at all. I've had no feeding or ejection problems, no issues with locking in place, or excess wear. I don't shoot steel case ammunition, but I can't imagine what difference that would possibly make to the magazine, vs. brass or aluminum.

I don't carry Pmags; I use factory magazines only, for carry. I wouldn't have a lot of heart burn about them, given that they've performed without fault, but when it comes to ammunition feeding devices, I can't imagine not carrying the factory magazine because I have complete faith in those.

My factory magazines all have vickers base plates, with the exception of competition magazines, which use taran tactical baseplates. The Pmags use their own baseplate which is a bit thicker and has a little bit of a gripping bevel on each side to make extraction quick and positive, if needed.

I'm not a big believer in dirty magazines, but at the range they get dropped constantly during magazine changes and do wind up with sand and dust. It hasn't prevented function thus far, though I do clean mags. I've run the Pmags in the G26, G19, G17, and G34, and they've yet to give me pause.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm in no way an expert. I've been thinking of adding a Gen5 G26 but I hear the Pmags are hit or miss in those?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys... Thank you.

New/Slightly different question? If you had no other choice but to use the PMAGs, how much heartburn would it give you?

A little more on my situation...

If shit were to go sideways, I would strap on my 226. I have dozens of factory and Mec-Gar mags for that.

However, I know that again, if shit were to go sideways, Glocks are plentiful and parts are widely available. I may not carry it, but I may give it to my wife or neighbor, along with mags, ammo and a holster. I would do this because shooting a Glock is a lot easier for non-gun people to shoot well out of the box (vs. DA/SA guns).

The "Boz"

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My job has about 40 PMAG 17 rounders for training. Most are about two years old. Each mag probably has 15k on them????? Perhaps a bit more. We have had little or no problems out of them. They have not been cleaned since we got them. A few guys have had guns that don't seem to fair well with them. But, I don't know if it's a gun/magazine problem, or if it is shooter induced problems.

However, if you are not getting a smoking deal on them (I bought several at $80 per 10), I would stick to factory Glock mags for $25 each.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
New/Slightly different question? If you had no other choice but to use the PMAGs, how much heartburn would it give you?

None, PMAG is a quality company, have many AR PMAG's as well, have some PMAGS for the G34, they work fine.

Price wise if they are close I"m buying Glock, however wouldn't hesitate either way.

Posts: 23446 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mine have been flawless.
When I bought them they were about 1/2 the price of Glock.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have several Pmags that I have used in a competition environment. They work great. Better than the ETS mags.

Please do not confuse PMags (Magpul) with ProMags.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost exclusively use steel cased ammo. My Magpul Glock mags malfunction with them on a regular basis. With brass or nickel plated cases I would have zero concerns. You can mitigate that by some dry lube but I just use metal lined (Glock and KCI) mags with no issue.

Glock mags are cheap though. If I only shot brass cased ammo I would use either Magpul or OEM with confidence.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All... Thanks.

Pedropcola... Are the Korean KCI mags as bad as the internet warriors make them out to be? They do have a metal liner, yes?

I do not have any steel case ammo in my inventory currently, so that is not a concern of mine. I will keep my aluminum cased stuff out of this gun as my SIGs love it.

Probably going to pick up some PMAGs (I have and have run 200+ PMAGs of all gens for my ARs, so I know they are quality).

I would also be open to the KCI if there are not too many horror stories you guys have.

The "Boz"

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Please do not confuse PMags (Magpul) with ProMags.

For emphasis, as I almost ran into this.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I use pmags for the range and they have worked with zero malfunctions. I still use factory magazines for carry because of the way the baseplate fits when loaded, but if I had to use one in a serious situation I would not be uneasy about it.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... definitely PMAGs and not PRO MAGs.

On the pegs right next to the AR PMAGS, in the same PMAG factory display bag as the AR mags. Same lettering, same black and silver design as the Gen 3 AR PMAGs.

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
We started using them for range mags a while ago, and have had no problems so far. We allow them for duty use, both the 17 and 21 round versions, and we have not had any issues. Granted, all with brass case ammunition.

I’ve run a ton of rounds through the 21 round mags at training and range days, and have yet to see an issue.

I feel good with them. And definitely fine as a citizen for personal use.

That said, as an agency, if you can get factory mags for not much more, I would maybe go that way if only for the.... what is it they say, “the optics” of the thing.

Up here it’s getting to the point that if we try to hug the thug, but accidentally use the wrong arm gestures (“damn it Officer, you need to apologize and offer the cookie before you start the hugging!”) we get hemmed up.

I’m guessing they would looooove to see us caught using “eeeeeeevvvvillll extra high capacity non standard, extra killy mayhem dispensers”.

Sorry. Did I digress? I’ve had no problems with the PMags.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I have used Magpul Glock 19 15 round mags in a few (lets say a dozen or so) Glock 19s and in three Shadow Systems MR918 pistols for some time now - 100% reliability.

I have used the Magpul Glock 26 12 round mags in three different Gen 3 26s, a Gen 4 26, and a Gen 5 (early version) 26 - again 100% reliability. My buddy who owns the Gen 5 26 only uses the Magpul 12 round mags in his gun - he prefers the pinky extension on them.

Just my small sample, but I am O.K. with them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI you can get glock mags for about $22. While that is about twice the pmag cost I think I will stick to the OEM for carry. For range/training, why not run a pmag, ETS or others though.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post