SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver Love
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver Love Login/Join 
posted
Well, I did it again. The shop where I work took in a S&W 686 3 inch Tall edition. As I fondled it, I remembered how badly I wanted a 686 back in the day, the mid 80's. I asked the boss how much? He gave me a most excellent price. Since it appeared unfired, I bought it. I fired it today. It's everything I wanted in a revolver and more. Accurate, soft shooting, and hopefully, reliable. I was reluctant to use up ammo, but I do have several thousand rounds of 357 ammo stashed. The only drawback was, it's a 7 shooter. I kept tossing the spare round on reloading drills. I'll have to work on that.

Overally, I'm very happy with this purchase. More so than with my last several gun buys.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your 3" 686.

Revolvers and lever action rifles in the same caliber make excellent companions.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only drawback was, it's a 7 shooter. I kept tossing the spare round on reloading drills. I'll have to work on that.

I was accustom to bullseye matches. I'd eject mags/dump cylinder after firing 5 rounds.

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We need a photo of this gun, I think we would all agree.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is a serious Waiver violation.

We expect it will be remedied with all deliberate speed.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm working on it. Just signed up for a hosting site.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
As a certified Old Guy I of course shot almost nothing BUT revolvers for many years. Say the word "revolver"and my minds eye sees a 4" m-19 Smith.

To me certain revolvers just BALANCE in my hands better than other pistols. A 3" K or L frame to me is about perfect.

I luckily snagged one of the US Customs 3" 686's years back That one and mt 3" 66-2 are two of my favorites for plinking trips to the quarry wit wadcutters.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your find.
I bought my first one from a fellow forum member.

Had some Culina grips made for it.

I liked it so much I bought another one.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
Congrats on your find.
I bought my first one from a fellow forum member.

Had some Culina grips made for it.

I liked it so much I bought another one.

Those Colinas are beautiful and classy. Congratulations!

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best Girl is still My my RUGER Police Service Six SS 4" .357 Never ever fails. EVER
Can't post a pic.

Better A Gun in your ,than a Cop on the phone

Posts: 11 | Location: L.I.New York | Registered: October 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nevar242:

Can't post a pic.

Google postimage, upload a pic from your phone or tablet and copy the thumbnail for forums...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is going to make me sound like a horrible person, actually not really because it's a reciprocal deal. When my one buddy dies I get to buy his S&W 696 Customs Service. It has the three inch barrel. The handling of that barrel length is outstanding. If I go first he gets my 625 for the same price. We're both in our 50s, so....

And nice grab, by the way.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
My favorite wheel gun is my 1961 Colt Python. I picked her up 40 years ago for less than $200. She handles and shoots great.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have recently started back into revolvers..

S&W642
S&W 640-1 (no lock)
S&W 19 K Comp

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have recently started back into revolvers..

I am fairly young, comparatively speaking being my formative years were the 80s and most of my “guns in media” were HKs and wonder 9s from the likes of Miami Vice or Die Hard or Lethal Weapon etc.

That said I have always liked revolvers. The appearance, the mechanics the versatility etc. etc. they just scratch a certain itch for me. I mean I love anything with a trigger that propels a projectile but you would think somebody like me would never haven given wheel guns a second look but......

Here we are.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Since this thread was originally centered around a 3" Model 686, I thought I'd contribute with my somewhat unusual 3" 686-6.

3" 686's have the advantage, over the 2.5" guns, of having a full-length ejector rod. The 3" guns are a bit rarer than the 2.5" guns. Most 3" 686's are of the "plus" variety (7-rounds) and chambered in .357 Magnum.

My 3" 686-6 is a six-shooter and chambered in .38 Special. The product number is:164338

Even Roy Jinks at S&W was at a bit of a loss as far as info on these guns. I assume that they are probably production overruns on an export contract.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a nice used Ruger NM Blackhawk in 41 mag. Shoots way better than I do!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Wife and I inherited a few firearms when her father passed in August.
They may not be pretty, but they has a lot of sentimental revolver love.

Ruger Blackhawk 357mag dated from the 1970s...

S&W 1902, serial # dates it 1902-1903 from what I can find.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Cslinger, could you elaborate on those finger groove grips on the long barreled Ruger?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They are Badger grips, walnut IIRC. It’s been a long time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post