SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question for the P229 fans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the P229 fans Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Do all P229 frames have the DAK cut out? Thanks.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Normally we would come to you with these questions

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Normally we would come to you with these questions

But, you know I'm just a one-trick pony. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the early P229 frames had the DAK window cut. If I'm not mistaken we have a DAK proponent member Wink who had the frame of an early one modified to convert to DAK...

...I'll be investigating this question on an early one later today.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I don't believe the early P229 frames had the DAK window cut. If I'm not mistaken we have a DAK proponent member Wink who had the frame of an early one modified to convert to DAK...

...I'll be investigating this question on an early one later today.

That makes sense that the early frames didn't have the DAK cut out, since there was no DAK at the time. I had 2 early ones NIB from 1994, but sold them without ever checking that.

Q

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As stated, the early ones (before 2004) didn’t have the cut, but a few frames possibly made before that date were evidently converted at the factory. Strangely enough, though, a friend bought a new “Scorpion” model a few years ago (~4-5?) and it’s not DAK convertible either.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Strangely enough, though, a friend bought a new “Scorpion” model a few years ago (~4-5?) and it’s not DAK convertible either.

Strange, I know. Checked my M11-A1 frame (which is really a P229), and it's not DAK compatible, either.

Q

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As stated, the early ones (before 2004) didn’t have the cut, but a few frames possibly made before that date were evidently converted at the factory. Strangely enough, though, a friend bought a new “Scorpion” model a few years ago (~4-5?) and it’s not DAK convertible either.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Strange, I know. Checked my M11-A1 frame (which is really a P229), and it's not DAK compatible, either.

I'm reaching back a year or two of memory, but I seem to recall that after there were some member reports of DAK being discontinued, or at least not promoted, that some of the P series frames no longer had the DAK frame cut out.

I'm at a loss to understand why SIG would discontinue this as one would think that it didn't adversely affect non-DAK guns and would likely cost time and money to reconfigure the tooling...but perhaps I'm missing some design or manufacturing nuance.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
How long ago did Sig stop producing the DAK pistols?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't contribute times/dates of these easily at the moment but several of my 229's don't have the frame cut.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't say for sure, now if it were a P220...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
Post 2004 frames should have the cutout.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
How long ago did Sig stop producing the DAK pistols?
They still produce them when ordered. I believe they stopped shipping them as a mainstay option the same time period when the P224 was axed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98:
Post 2004 frames should have the cutout.

As noted above, some don't.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't think there's rhyme or reason as to what SIG does.
My M11-A1 frame from 2012 has no cut out.
My stainless frame P228 from 2012 and 2013 has the cut out.

Q