SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seecamp.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seecamp. Login/Join 
posted
.32ACP, California edition.

I decided to buy a NIB Seecamp and came across a "California Edition" .32acp at LGS. Comes with one magazine.

$599+tax.

So, then I began to look for JHP .32acp ammo.

Hah. This is where the fun begins...

But, I do have two snap caps.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Winchester Silvertip 60 gn is the preferred load.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Winchester Silvertip 60 gn is the preferred load.

Problem I'm having now is finding JHP ammo in .32acp.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know the OAL of the silvertip load?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Does anybody know the OAL of the silvertip load?

For .32acp, I'm guessing 25.00mm.

I have to measure OAL of .380acp for my little Kahr P380. JHP works best.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
You can probably find the Silvertip OAL on the Seecamp forum. There are a lot of ammo threads, and there was a small keychain OAL gauge for checking .32ACP rounds that you could buy at one time. The Seecamp website recommends these, if you can find them:

Winchester Silvertip 60gr. HP
Federal Premium Hydra Shok 65gr. JHP
Speer Gold Dot 60gr. GDHP
PMC Bronze 60gr. JHP

I've owned 4 Seecamps in .32 ACP, and I mostly shot Hornady Custom 60gr XTP. I know others did as well with no issues.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Seecamp Web site:
http://seecamp.com/ammunition.htm

Ammo of ANY type is a problem. Asking around isn't going to help much. In those rare instances where an item is available on-line, it sells out within an hour.

Others here may have a solution for your problem. Good luck.

BTW, I have had three Seecamps, one oldie in .25 and two .32's. I've always liked them and found them reliable.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
.910" (or less) is the optimal overall length. When Larry Seecamp still owned the company he highly recommended the Gold Dot over the Silvertip. Silvertip had been the recommended round since the early 1980s but production was unreliable (bullet set back?). For target I used WINCHSTER Q4255 71GR.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I have an LWS380 (.380 ACP version) and it's very dependable IF I stick to the factory recommended ammunition (Winchester Silvertips and Federal Hydrashoks). These pistols are built to very exacting standards/tolerances. If you experiment with different types of ammunition, the pressure curve(s) can and do cause damage in addition to creating function reliability issues. I made the mistake of experimenting (trying out Winchester PDX and "Talon" offerings), and learned the hard way that it was wrong. Larry helped me out, but I'd ruined a couple of magazines in the process. Stick with the factory recommended ammo and you'll be okay.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My default carry load in my .32 is Speer Gold dot. My second magazine is Underwood .32 which has proven reliable in the seecamp / has the right OAL. With Speer 60 grn Gold Dot 100% reliable, though I have also put ball Fiocchi and S&B through without a hang up at the range. As mentioned, check OAL as main indicator to see if there is NA issue or not. Good luck on the ammo hunt.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I have an LWS380 (.380 ACP version)[/IMG]

I apologize for the thread drift. You are the only person that I have run across that has an informed opinion about the Seecamp 380. I have the Seecamp in 32 and have always wondered ...how snappy is the recoil of the 380 ?

Sorry for the intrusion. mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snappy......that’s a good word for the Seecamp 380.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
quote:

I apologize for the thread drift. You are the only person that I have run across that has an informed opinion about the Seecamp 380. I have the Seecamp in 32 and have always wondered ...how snappy is the recoil of the 380 ?

I have both a 32 & 380 and I am not recoil shy one bit. The 380 Seecamp is the only gun I own where the recoil beats the crap out of me. The only other gun I’ve shot that scared me was an 11oz scandium j frame with full power 357 mags. Having the choice I choose to carry the 32.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1990's original 32 runs fine on Gold Dots. My ill fated recent production 380 threw the slide off downrange more than once with two mags of Gold Dots. Needless to say it got sent back.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How snappy you ask? I've owned both, but only own the .32 now. That's how snappy it is.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your responses are very helpful....thanks for your time. Mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a see camp .32 back about 20 years ago, when you were on a couple year waiting list and most advertised for sale were running double the MSRP.
One of my fellow gun club members at the time had a kitchen table ffl. He ordered six at a time, and when they came in he would bring them to our weekly club match, sell for list price but you had to have the cash right then.
This was before all the micro 380’s came out and it was considered the ultimate pocket pistol.
I reloaded for 32 and developed a short oal ball load for practice, and back then finding 50 round boxes of silver tips was easy.
Honestly with pure objectivity today, the much less expensive feed everything micro 380’s are a much better choice ( my Ruger lcp 2 has been flawless ) and they even have sights !
One thing I didn’t care for with the seecamp, even at 7 yards accuracy was tough a dessert plate size group was about all that could be expected.
Right now a good number of shops I go to 32 is often found on the shelf so maybe having a 32 isn’t a bad idea!

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
quote:

How snappy you ask? I've owned both, but only own the .32 now. That's how snappy it is.

"Snappy"? Yes, but considering the size this .380 ACP is, why wouldn't it be? On the other hand, the all steel Seecamp is less "snappy" than the S&W Model 342 (titanium) that I previously carried as a backup and which I found to be actually painful to qualify with, even when using standard pressure .38 Special loads. Everyone's hands are different and maybe so too with their method of gripping a small pistol. For me, the LWS380 is far more controllable and far less punishing to the operator to shoot than an ultra-light J-frame S&W, with the added benefits of being flatter, easier to conceal, and having a seven round magazine capacity instead of five found in the revolver. Every choice carries advantages and disadvantages.

As to the advantages offered by the Ruger LCP series pistols: They are far less expensive, lighter (though a bit bigger than the Seecamp), and will certainly work well with a greater variety of ammunition offerings than the all stainless steel Seecamp.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I got a see camp .32 back about 20 years ago, when you were on a couple year waiting list and most advertised for sale were running double the MSRP.
One of my fellow gun club members at the time had a kitchen table ffl. He ordered six at a time, and when they came in he would bring them to our weekly club match, sell for list price but you had to have the cash right then.
This was before all the micro 380’s came out and it was considered the ultimate pocket pistol.
I reloaded for 32 and developed a short oal ball load for practice, and back then finding 50 round boxes of silver tips was easy.
Honestly with pure objectivity today, the much less expensive feed everything micro 380’s are a much better choice ( my Ruger lcp 2 has been flawless ) and they even have sights !
One thing I didn’t care for with the seecamp, even at 7 yards accuracy was tough a dessert plate size group was about all that could be expected.
Right now a good number of shops I go to 32 is often found on the shelf so maybe having a 32 isn’t a bad idea!

I bought mine in the mid 90's,

friend was on the waiting list and when he got the call, he was offered 5, so he had them shipped to us,

I bought one of them and carry it often,

I have an ample supply of .32 Silvertips, ,

never had a problem with accuracy, or it not having sights,

it was designed to do a job, and it does that job very well,

think about it this way, that dessert plate is well inside the size of a person's chest or stomach area, and roughly head sized,

that it what it was designed to do,

on the range if I take my time I can cut that in half,, group wise, but in real world dessert plate is fine,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

And where in Arizona are those shops with .32acp ammo?