SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 / P229 ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 / P229 ?? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
Can someone please clarify the difference between the 228 and the 229 ??

I've been told that the 229 is basically a stronger frame to handle the larger .40 caliber rounds. Is this true ?? Is there more ??

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
229 slide is milled stainless and the 228 slide is forged carbon steel. And yes, I believe that was done to handle .357 SIG and .40 SW loads without having to go to a stiffer spring. Frames are basically the same, I believe, except for the mag wells on the older 229's.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P228 used (as already posted) folded carbon steel. It also has a breech block pinned in. The breech block includes and internal extractor. The P228 has full height slide serrations. It was only chambered in 9mm.

The P229 is milled from stainless, with an external extractor and offered in .40/.357 and 9mm. The Classic P229 has half/height serrations, but it seems they've moved to full height with all models after releasing the M11-A1. The P229 will be a touch heavier, more resistant to oxidation, and slightly less felt recoil.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Close. The major difference is in the slide. The P228 slide was made from bent (folded) carbon steel with a pinned-in breech block. As stated, the P229 slide is one piece milled from stainless steel. The frames are basically the same except that the magazine well was enlarged for the 357/40s. Initially, the P229 9mm mag well was the same as the P228, but SIG decided to standardize on the larger mag well and introduced the P229-1 9mm magazine which is slightly fatter. The P229-1 magazine will not fit in a P228.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post