SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Possible issue with Smith and Wesson model 638.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible issue with Smith and Wesson model 638. Login/Join 
posted
I am an FFL holder and received a brand new Smith & Wesson Model 638 with lasergrip. When I received it I pulled it out of box to verify serial numbers and the cylinder was open so I went to close it and it wouldn't close. If you rotate the cylinder a little bit it will close, but if you open it back up and rotate the cylinder a little then go to close it again it won't close unless its in a perfect spot for it to close.

I personally own many J-frame revolvers and have never seen this issue (642, 360PD, SP101, etc) they will close wherever the cylinder is then it might have to rotate a little to get it to lock in position for the bullets to line up with the barrel.

I have owned my j-frames for years and can't imagine this would be some sort of new found feature Smith has added to their new models, but before I call my distributor and tell them to take this broken gun back I want to ask the masses what they think.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds messed up to me...I've never owned a DA revolver that behaved like that. Can you tell what is preventing it from closing?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't... it doesn't seem like anything is in the way. It's like something internal is only allowing it to close in certain positions.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ejector rod loose ?? Except if that were the case i don't think it would close in ANY position.
Sadly, the Smith and Wesson we grew up with is gone. Lots of guns coming out of there with problems

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ejector rod doesn't seem like the problem. I'll just send it back and let them figure it out. Just wasn't sure if there was some simple safety feature or lock or something I'd never seen before. I didn't think there would be, but I also don't like looking like an idiot when I tell them something is wrong with this gun and they get it back and call me an idiot Smile

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the cylinder stop isn't depressing, so you have to line it up just right to close.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
And they claim they still test fire the guns before shipping. I wonder how that one got test fired? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Historically they fire three rounds at the factory. Might only be two with a 5 shot J frame but it is possible the cylinder closed just fine when it was test fired. It’s not like they fire multiple cylinders full through each firearm.

Posts: 91 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My 638 does not suffer from that issue...but my example is eighteen years old.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have a 1995 era 640-1 and I've never seen this issue. Does this model have the forward crane lockup?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My advice, assuming that you're planning on selling this one at retail: call the distributor and send it back. If they have another available then great, twist their arm (a bit) and get it replaced. But these days they're more likely to be out of stock again. The way I see this, it's best to return it and walk away. Less headache for you, less costly as well. Easier to have your billing revised than to deal with a gun that won't show well until you go through the hassle of sending it to S&W for repair. Meanwhile you'll have no product to sell for however long it takes S&W to fix the issue and you'll still have payment due on an invoice for the gun.

If the gun is for yourself, then it's up to you on whether you like the idea of already sending a new gun back to its mothership to fix something that never should've left the factory in the first place.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a 640 no-dash that is butter smooth from end to end mechanically. I've handled several brand new Smith revolvers I wouldn't pay my good money for.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
My advice, assuming that you're planning on selling this one at retail: call the distributor and send it back. If they have another available then great, twist their arm (a bit) and get it replaced. But these days they're more likely to be out of stock again. The way I see this, it's best to return it and walk away. Less headache for you, less costly as well. Easier to have your billing revised than to deal with a gun that won't show well until you go through the hassle of sending it to S&W for repair. Meanwhile you'll have no product to sell for however long it takes S&W to fix the issue and you'll still have payment due on an invoice for the gun.

If the gun is for yourself, then it's up to you on whether you like the idea of already sending a new gun back to its mothership to fix something that never should've left the factory in the first place.

distributor's don't like returns,

best would be to send it back to Smith,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
distributor's don't like returns,

best would be to send it back to Smith,

I don't know what distributors you've work with but we've not had any problems with getting them to take back defective guns.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with distributor yesterday and they said they would send a call tag to send it back. I’ve only ever had issues with 2 guns I’ve received from distributors over the years and they’ve always been good at taking care of it.

I could send to smith and have them fix it, but it’s really not worth the headache... I can live without that issue. There will be more of them in the future