SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How's your Glock 42
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's your Glock 42 Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've rented a G42 on 2 occasions and shot another one (so a total of three different guns) had no failures, and have found the gun to be very pleasant to shoot and quite accurate.

Been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on the gun though before buying and have noticed people talking about a lot of failures. One video by Jerry Miculek showed repeated (and I mean repeated) failures for the gun to go into battery.

How has your G42 been in the reliability department? Any qualms? What ammo have you used and has that affected reliability? Magazine issues?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
One video by Jerry Miculek showed repeated (and I mean repeated) failures for the gun to go into battery.

Was he wearing his Smith & Wesson shirt in the video? Wink Smile

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My first 42 had significant failures to load. It was sent back to the factory and it works fine now. My wife uses it.

I bought a second one for a song last year and only shot it once. It is even more unreliable than the first. I have yet to return it to Glock.

I used handloaded JHP and FMJ, CorBon JHP, Winchester silvertip and Ranger, and Federal HST. None of them loaded reliably.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have a firing pin that is free floating when the slide is locked back?

Miculek pointed that out but I don't know what sort of design feature that would be. He diagnosed the repeated failures to chamber to the extractor being off in some way.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I've had about 1,000 rounds through it with not a single failure of any kind. Great, soft shooting, accurate .380!

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many G42s have been produced in the three or so years since its introduction?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd say that's a tad high, bendable, but you get my point. So many G42s have been produced, if there were a widespread issue like that, it would be well known.

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I had a 42 for a while. It was rock solid for me, and fed / fired everything I had. It was pleasant to shoot with its minimal recoil. The main reason I bought it was for my wife....however she had numerous failures to eject with it. She never could make it a through a full mag without a failure. No doubt it was her grip or "limp wristing", but it was a no go for her. Please understand, I'm not blaming the gun, as I could run it without issues. All of the problems we had were shooter induced.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
All of the problems we had were shooter induced.
As are my failures with the G43 and my new G42. Those issues and the early known issues with the G42 are contained in this thread.

So far, I really like my G42. The issues with premature slide-lock, I've already experienced in the G43 and I believe I know how to rectify it in the G42. I have some parts inbound to me right now and once I get the pistol set up, I'm going to really wring it out. If it proves reliable, I'm going to carry this thing.

posted Hide Post
User-induced failures are a bit reassuring, since both I and Deplorable Dixie shot 3 different G42s both two handed, dominant hand only and support hand only and neither of us had any failures.

Have the 01/02 magazines I've seen referenced corrected errors?

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but I must admit that the G42 is the first pistol I have wanted to purchase in a long time. I want a nice 380 that isn't the size of a postage stamp. I'm willing to go with one simply on Glock's reputation, and like Para is pointing out, the internet isn't all afire of late with complaints.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The G42 really surprised me with just how accurate it could really be. Cool little pistola Smile

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love my 42's. Had one previously that had a couple failures, but the ones I have now are perfect thus far. If yours is a May 2016 build or later it should have all updates including the new connector that averages about 4-5# versus the earlier ones that could go above 9#. Shot a GSSF match with one back in the fall and came in second out of 24 so I know it's more than accurate enough. With a Talon rubber grip it's the bees knees. Totes really well in a pocket holster too.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
User-induced failures are a bit reassuring, since both I and Deplorable Dixie shot 3 different G42s both two handed, dominant hand only and support hand only and neither of us had any failures.

Have the 01/02 magazines I've seen referenced corrected errors?

Latest mags are 03. They are made just a bit different to not allow premature slide locks by keeping the top round from migrating too far forward and causing the slide stop to engage. Glock forum has some great threads and pics on this.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some issues with mine when I first got it. I couldn't get through a mag without a FTF or FTE of some kind. First I was using Freedom Munitions new manuf. rounds. Nothing but problems. Next went to Blazer and while the problems weren't as frequent, they still happened with some regularity. I decided to try one more thing before contacting Glock. I locked the slide back and left it in the safe for 2 weeks. Got it out after that and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Guess it just needed the recoil spring to break in a bit.
I've added Talon Grips and the updated connector/trigger housing, courtesy of a Glock armorer at a GSSF match. Shoots like a dream....

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I have had one failure to extract. That was in the first magazine fired. Never an issue again. It shoots everything with ease. Reloaded, factory, hp, fmj... it doesn't matter. I have found it to be an excellent, reliable, and accurate off-duty/back up gun. So easy to shoot with a small amount of recoil. My wife enjoys shooting it as well. With 6+1 in the gun and one or two extra mags don't really feel out-gunned.

Get one and shoot the Hades out of it.

P.S. I am not a big Glock guy either.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Still haven't shot one. Fear of liking it drives me. Despite the fact I just got a P232SL to go with all the OTHER 380s I don't shoot much, I really don't want a VALID reason to start buying cases of .380...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the first production G42 and had nothing but problems. I had to send it back to Glock and it is a rock solid performer now. IIRC, Glock knew about these issues. My 43 however, is top notch from the get go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought one for the wife, stock put a TLR6 on it, shoots like a dream. So, I ended up buying myself one, full stipple job, 3.5 ghost trigger, polished internals, DeFoor sights plain rear with tritium front, tack driving baby carry.

Unrelated to either pistol, I bought a couple strike +2 extensions, they wouldn't run in either pistol, the don't come with a longer spring, which would probably solve the problem. Pierce +1 are a must.

Posts: 71 | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post