SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How's your Glock 42
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's your Glock 42 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I brought a G42 when they first came out. It did not like my 380 reload, all of my other 380s wee blow back actions and the loads were a little weak for the G42. The gun worked fine with good factory ammo. Once the gun had a few hundred round through it. I could use my reloads but next time I reloaded I increased the power level just to prevent any problems.
An armorer at a GSSF Match last year replaced the connector and other internal parts with the update ones and the trigger pull improved a lot.

Posts: 55 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Get one and shoot the Hades out of it.

P.S. I am not a big Glock guy either.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good to read. How would you guys rate this for a newer pistol shooter?
Been pondering for a while on something for my wife. She would need something slim & small to be able to carry.
How do you rate the ease in racking the slide? This is one of the main things I need to keep in mind for her.
Debating between the 42 & 43, but think the smaller package of the 42 would be a lot easier for her to carry.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Been pondering for a while on something for my wife. She would need something slim & small to be able to carry.
How do you rate the ease in racking the slide? This is one of the main things I need to keep in mind for her.
Debating between the 42 & 43, but think the smaller package of the 42 would be a lot easier for her to carry.

Best advice, take her to your LGS and let her shoot both of them. She is the only one that can tell,you if they fit.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I love my 42's. Had one previously that had a couple failures, but the ones I have now are perfect thus far. If yours is a May 2016 build or later it should have all updates including the new connector that averages about 4-5# versus the earlier ones that could go above 9#. Shot a GSSF match with one back in the fall and came in second out of 24 so I know it's more than accurate enough. With a Talon rubber grip it's the bees knees. Totes really well in a pocket holster too.

Good to know. I was shocked when I heard in several review videos that the triggers were measuring over 9#. Of the 3 separate guns I shot, none had anything other than what I'd call a normal 5ish # Glock trigger, so I was curious. Guess those videos were all much older.

My concerns are allayed. My own experience(s) with the gun are more the current norm than the horror stories from, I guess, when they first hit the market.

I'll pick one up in the near future.

Now...off to buy some .380....

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have one that I bought new in March 2016. I put a Vickers slide stop on it, Pierce mag extensions and Talon grips. I have the 03 Mags. I would say that the first 100 rounds had quite a few stove pipes and some Failure to Feed problems. Now, after approximately 350 rounds there are no more failures. While it shouldn't be necessary to have to break in the spring, that seems to be the case with the 42. Fun to shoot, great CCW in the summer.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very happy with mine....purchased late 2015, it's run 100% from the get-go. I have the 02 mags and I know Glock will replace them, but I've never had an issue after 400+ rds. I carry mine as pocket carry only, and I've never had a problem with suit pants or khakis. Only mods were TFO sights and Pearce mag extensions, then I discovered the Pachmayr grip sleeve. Perfect gun for my needs even if it is a 380.

Posts: 175 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Get one and shoot the Hades out of it.

P.S. I am not a big Glock guy either.

As someone who loves classic SIG pistols, Glocks (in 9mm, 10mm, and probably 357SIG once I fire a 31/32/33), I love this imagery. And the irony of one who runs SIGforum saying "come to the dark side" is not lost.

I don't see why one would try a G42 over a G43, though. I will definitely have to shoot both, though.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. The Emperor has always given me nightmares....

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
I don't see why one would try a G42 over a G43, though. I will definitely have to shoot both, though.

I bought my G42 when they first came out, shot it and carried it until the G43 came out and figured I would dump it and "upgrade" to 9mm. Then I handled a G43 after my hands were so used to the 42, and honestly, I saw no need to switch. It's a bigger pistol, and for what I've got for Glocks, if I'm going to get something bigger than a G42 in 9mm, it's going to be a G26. I haven't shot a G43, but the G42 is about as sweet a shooter as I can imagine in a .380. It's more pleasant to shoot than my 1908 Colt Pocket Hammerless and comes in a smaller package overall.

Speaking directly to the questions posed by the OP, again, I bought mine right when they came out. It hasn't hiccuped once at the range while shooting. No failures to feed, eject, or lock open on empty, and that includes the half dozen or so friends I've let shoot it. HOWEVER, if the trigger has been pulled on an empty chamber, and the slide is racked, most of the time the trigger fails to reset. Imagine admin loading the pistol and having a loaded chamber, but the trigger is still back. I've found that if I ride the slide lock lever, it prevents this from happening and the trigger resets correctly. If I admin load with the trigger forward, it's fine. I called Glock about it and the fella was very apologetic and said it was a known issue and the pistol needed a frame update. They emailed me a shipping label, but some life stuff happened and I never sent them the gun. All my mags are -1 or unmarked with a revision. Again, zero hiccups actually shooting, the trigger has reset perfectly every time when a live round is what's cycling the slide. But it made me wary enough to stick it in the safe until I get around to dealing with it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 42 just needed a couple hundred rounds of love applied. It's working great now.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Best advice, take her to your LGS and let her shoot both of them. She is the only one that can tell,you if they fit.

That's the plan.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it works out.

I took my daughter to the local range and let her shoot my 43 and a rental 42. After about 50 rounds each, she was in to research, she said that she liked the 42. Hope you have as much fun as I did.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a G42, Kahr P380 and a Ruger LCP2. Of the three the comfortable feeling accurate G42 eats any .380 ammo that goes "bang".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
No issues here with my G42 with defense and different FMJ cheap ammo, the wife did limp wrist it a couple of times, yet she shoots my G41, G26 & G17 just fine.

I shot the G43, will stick with my G26 for EDC. Kind of of diminishing returns for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike729,

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I mess up? I thought this was the Sig forum not love the plastic thingy! Said with a smile but I really like my p238 and from brand new no FTF or FTE using steel cased and brass cased and cheap and pricey ammo.

paul

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”

Marriage is a “keystone of our social order,” Justice Kennedy said, adding that the plaintiffs in the case were seeking “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.”

Posts: 30 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Great. Start a thread on your trusty pistol. We're discussing Glocks in this one.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdub229r:
Bought one for the wife, stock put a TLR6 on it, shoots like a dream. So, I ended up buying myself one, full stipple job, 3.5 ghost trigger, polished internals, DeFoor sights plain rear with tritium front, tack driving baby carry.

Unrelated to either pistol, I bought a couple strike +2 extensions, they wouldn't run in either pistol, the don't come with a longer spring, which would probably solve the problem. Pierce +1 are a must.

How are the Pearce +1 adapter mags working for you? I just looked; they're $9.95 each. I'd like another round or two in my 42...just in case. Thanks!

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bought one almost exactly a year ago. Added fiber optic sights, Talon grip tape and an extended slide release.

Honestly I don't recall a single failure to fire, feed or eject with all the different ammo I ran through it. Liked shooting it so much I bought a set of dies and the conversion kit for my Dillon 550 and reload for it.

Even my reloads shoot fine.

Few months back I checked my round count and I was at 700+ rds. I may be at 850 or so now.

It has been VERY reliable. Super small and thin. Easy to conceal and comfy to carry.

The ONLY GLOCK I own, and will probably EVER own. Never been a GLOCK fan, but this little gun fills a niche like nothing else.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Well, now my early model, previously trouble free, has developed the habit of jamming with the cartridge nose up at 45 degrees halfway in the chamber. It's shucking out the empty just fine. This happened 3 times today in 50 rounds with Blazer Brass .380 fmj.

I guess I will have to send it back for the "updates". On my dime.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post