SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Moving a Serial Number?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving a Serial Number? Login/Join 
posted
I bought a Kahr cw9 about a month ago with the intention of doing a grip chop so it would accept pm/cm9 sized magazines. I didn’t realize (or notice when I picked it up) that the serial number location has been moved to the lower grip area on a metal plate pressed into the grip. Anyone have any ideas of a way around this? Am I just going to have to buy a used example and go from there? I emailed Kahr cs a week ago but haven’t heard anything back, which doesn’t really surprise me given what I’ve heard about that department.

Posts: 124 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My serial number is under the dust cover. I wonder when/why they moved it. Probably to prevent this very modification. I suspect you want a cm9 grip with a cw9 slide. I don't imagine "relocation" of a serial number is in the cards since you first have to remove it. If Kahr hasn't responded, that's probably your answer.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Interesting. My serial number is under the dust cover. I wonder when/why they moved it. Probably to prevent this very modification. I suspect you want a cm9 grip with a cw9 slide. I don't imagine "relocation" of a serial number is in the cards since you first have to remove it. If Kahr hasn't responded, that's probably your answer.

Yep I want the short cm9 grip with the longer cw9 barrel. After looking at their website the best I can figure is they moved the sn location to accommodate the rail on the new S series and just moved the sn on all models to the grip for simplicity.

Posts: 124 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Call/write ATF and ask. Maybe, if you inscribe the serial number elsewhere first, then it would never be without its precious ID. Maybe. But check first, and get it in writing.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post