SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you know what failure is? Have you seen one?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know what failure is? Have you seen one? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
No, not a stoppage. No matter how reliable you believe your handgun is, you need to know how to clear a stoppage. Most of the time, these are user induced, sometimes they're equipment induced, but they are temporary and not going to permanently end the function of the firearm.

Have you ever witnessed a failure? I've seen a few happen, and when I worked for a gun shop, had a variety brought in.

Many, many are related to overpressure handloads, or bad commercial reloads, or the odd factory ammo double load, or an unknown squib. The rest, are outright breakage of parts of the gun.

What have you personally experienced?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Does watching your Ruger 1911 launch the front sight into space count? Mine was on its FOURTH front sight in less than a year when I decided it was time to move one. Roll Eyes

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'd file that under annoyance, but it doesn't really take a gun out of a fight. a bullseye competition, sure. Which is not to say I'd like my front sight falling off. There are solutions for that.

No, I'm talking about things that make the gun into only something you can either hit someone with or throw at them.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Sig P320 - I broke the trigger bar, originally thought it was a spring. Till I took the gun apart. Completely useless at that point. Round count was about 4K.

Now, this may be a rare occurrence. I've been know to run stuff hard. Unfortunately this killed the P320 for me. Probably just a mental thing I can't get past.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
One of the first ones I saw in person was a cracked frame rail on a P229 in .40. It was a Marshal in for some practice, and they came out and asked one of us to shoot their gun because it was going low to the left. One mag, then a field strip to find the rail about 1/2 cracked through enough that the slide could rotate slightly.

Arc.

Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I was at a shooting range with my cousin, and we got to see this guy's revolver in the next lane explode. It was some kind of big N-frame Smith, probably a .44, but I can't remember. It split the whole edge of the cylinder and launched the top strap into the ceiling. It was very impressive! No one was hurt in the accident.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once exploded a Taurus 85 with +P.
And a Mini 14. In case of the Mini 14, blew off the extractor and the gas went down the magazine, blowing off the base plate. Once the extractor was replaced, the gun ran fine. Magazine was destroyed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger SP101 .357 blow the entire barrel off the gun. I think that counts.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
One of my fellow officers brought her Glock 19 into the armory. She indicated the trigger did not always reset, and she'd been carrying it that way for months. I found that the left rear frame rail had broken completely off, which allowed enough play between slide and frame, that the firing pin skipped over the trigger bar and failed to reset. I had Glock replace the frame. She knew something was wrong,knew her gun wouldn't always fire, and still carried it that way for months?!?!?!

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I had a Ruger SP101 .357 blow the entire barrel off the gun. I think that counts.

guy I used to work for had that happen with a Super Black Hawk,

another friend had a reloading error, as in got some powder mixed up,
found out when he kaboomed a Smith 29, then a year later, kaboomed an AR,, got the AR fixed, then kaboomed it again when his son was shooting it in a high power match
(found out he had mixed 2400 and 748 by accident)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have seen several Keltec pistols lock up beyond field expedient repair.

I have had a revolver lock up tight due to crap under ejected star.

I watched a Para Ord seamingly spontaneously self disassemble itself. No idea what happened.

That’s about it for fight ending type stuff.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the pistol was called a BP9? Made by Bersa.
Nice looking pistol and was easy to carry. At around 600 round count, the trigger went dead. Wouldn't reset at all.
Sent it back to Bersa and they sent me a new one. Immediately sold it when I got it.
Glad it happened at the range and not in a self defense situation.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

found out when he kaboomed a Smith 29, then a year later, kaboomed an AR,, got the AR fixed, then kaboomed it again when his son was shooting it in a high power match

On the range, we had a patron shooting their handloads pile up 3 bullets in a .44 before they realized nothing was hitting the backstop. I don't remember the brand of the pistol, but the frame was fine.

Arc.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

On the range, we had a patron shooting their handloads pile up 3 bullets in a .44 before they realized nothing was hitting the backstop. I don't remember the brand of the pistol, but the frame was fine.

this one split the cyl and bent the top strap,

he was lucky, in all 3 no one was hurt,

several suggested he give up reloading for a bit, or toss all his powder and start fresh,

he shot at the last position during a high power match,
I had position 19, right next to him, a couple matches,

I'll admit I was a bit nervous ,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had a Wildey .45win mag shatter the bolt cage under the slide.

Sent it back and they repaired for free no questions asked.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how about when some putty head puts the guide rod recoil spring in backwards,

and the slide locks back on the fifth fired round?

tight !, I mean real tight, rubber mallet tight

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Mine was the cracked frame on my newly acquired Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless, circa 1918.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...630049934#1630049934

Locking Lugs by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I got an LCP and first round I shot the slide shot down range about 5 feet. Sheared the takedown pin.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Locked my 1895 Marlin up tighter than a bulls ass by being cute about ejecting shells at the end of a hunt. Spent a good twenty minutes under a Coleman lantern with a leatherman ( no mars despite my ham handed efferts ).

Now I run that lever like I hate it, never another problem.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had the firing pin spring on a SMLE shatter into about 15 pieces on the range one day. Couldn't figure out why first I was getting light strikes, and then why the gun wouldn't cock and strike at all. The spring was 100 years old when it let go, so I don't suppose it owed me much. Fixed it with a new one from Brownells and the gun is right as rain.

I've also had a revolver lock up from insufficient crimp on some .44 mag loads, but I just tapped the bullets back in, and it went back to proper operation.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post