SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    320 x-series, which is better value?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320 x-series, which is better value? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Found a sale on the x-series. The x-five comes with four 21 round mags, flared mag well, 5 inch barrel and fiber optic sights MOS ready for $700. The x-vtac is fde, night sights, three 17 round mags, no flared mag well, and 4.7 inch barrel for $690. I think those are all the diffences. I'd like to know what y'all think is the better value. This would simply be a range toy

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
To me, even if these guns were $500, I wouldn't own one. Shot the X5 P320 once, and it was nothing to write home about.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have much use for the mag well, or the MOS, but the second choice would be fine.

I shot through twice on a steel match a few nights ago using a stock P320 compact, but have been shooting with an x-carry frame prior. When I cleared at the bench, a grand master shooter was also clearing, and had a X5 that he liked quite a bit. I think he said he'd put an apex trigger in it, and felt it had a better reset. I tried it and liked the reset. He was using a Romeo 1, I think. At his level, he could take advantage of the bells and whistles, while for me it would be like icing on a cake I'll never eat.

For the, the plain-jain P320 works just fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
The VTAC sights were fine up close, but at distance shot low for me. Significantly low. I put a set of Ameriglo sights on and it was better. My XCarry is much more accurate than the VTAC. I have a full-size 320 that has an Xgrip and Grayguns Trigger which competes with the XCarry as my favorite 320.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the past few years I have acquired an older P320 FS 9mm, a P320 FS 45, a P320 FS RX 9mm, and most recently, a P320 X-5 Full Size. All now have the Sig voluntary trigger upgrade, and the X-5 came from the factory with the upgrade. The older P320 FS also has the PELT 2 trigger, GGI stainless guide rod, GGI adhesive grip tape over medium-size newer grip module, and Dawson FO front sight w/Dawson target rear sight. The other P320s remain stock.

For me, the X-5 "slab-sided" grip module just doesn't fit my hands well, and I prefer the older stock module with the grip tape, when I feel the need for more aggressive textering. The older P320 also has a better trigger feel and shoots more accurately for me, but that's just personal preference.

I also like the RX Full Size 9mm, which is the Cabela's package with two-tone (slide is finished in stainless color). I haven't spent my time shooting with the Romeo 1 on that one yet, but am beginning to work with it and do appreciate the dot sight system.

While I do like the option of running the X-5 slide assembly with the longer barrel, when swapped-out onto grip module from the older 9mm FS, I'm not sure it does much for me, at least not at my level of proficiency.

In the end, the P320 X-5 would be the first to go if I were to down-size in the P320 platform, as the "feel" of this pistol just doesn't work that well for me. It's likely just me, but that's my experience. Given the price-point of the X-5, it didn't add anything for me. If you have the option of shooting one before you buy, that would be a plus. As for the VTAC, I don't have any experience with that one.

YMMV, regards, Doug

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
If you are only going to use it as a range toy, I would go with the X-Five. I have two of them, and absolutely love them.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like the X-frame module or whatever the hell SIG calls them a heck of a lot more than the regular rounded over module grip shape. Svelte vs pudgy. Simple as that.

I've been toying with the notion of getting another 320C and buying the Carry X-module, then most recently the fellow I traded away my 320C to has texted me that he's no longer enamored with the gun and wants to get into something else (a 509 or some other such nonsense) and he pouted on whether I wanted the chance of getting my old 320C back, for relatively cheap he added.

I'm considering it.

I've handled both. I dislike the triggers on both. For a competition/range/target/something other than defense/offense kind of pistol those triggers are less than enamoring. I prefer the regular 320 trigger (pre/post/whatever iteration). But the X-modules are where it's at for me when it comes to the 320 platform's ergonomics.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
The best value is the traditional full sized model. Those 4x 21rd mags are $40+ each. I like the weighted mag well as it helps make a really flat shooter, but you could always take it off and sell it if desired.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I really like the feel of the 320 X5. Almost bought it a couple times now, but something is holding me back. Just picked up a M17 that feels about as good though so maybe that will be enough to scratch the 320 itch.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep reading about people having problems regulating the VTAC sights. Not sure if it’s true but if it weren’t for that I’d get the VTAC. What I’m running now is the full size RX with the full size X-frame (an X-carry frame will also work). I added A PELT2 flat trigger and it’s amazing!

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read on this forum that the early VTAC sights were machined incorrectly and SIG made a running change with the correction. I have been debating between the x-5 carry and the VTAC myself. I wish someone could comment on the VTAC that was from a current production run.

Posts: 10 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I sent my VTac back to Sig because it shot 6 inches low at 25 yards. They said there was no issue. If I used the lower set of sights it was on at distance. I didn’t want to have to switch sight pictures to shoot at different distances, so I switched to Ameriglo sights. My XCarry is the most accurate gun out of the box I have that isn’t a target gun.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post