SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK mark 23, is it something special?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK mark 23, is it something special? Login/Join 
posted
I have an opportunity to Buy one of these. It is said to have been made in about 2001. The price he is asking is about $2500. Seems like a high price to pay for a pistol unless it is something special. Is it something special?

Posts: 29 | Location: 9007 Stonebridge Dr | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Is it the whole kit? Or just the pistol?
These were designed as Offensive Handguns for Special Operations.
search it up on YouTube, it’s a pretty interesting story.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
These were designed as Offensive Handguns for Special Operations.
search it up on YouTube, it’s a pretty interesting story.

Forgotten Weapons has a video that covers the history.

https://www.forgottenweapons.c...3-socom-development/

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds a little high from what I remember, but as mentioned accessories can up the price. They are surprisingly larger in person as well, close to the size of Desert Eagle. Not something most will conceal, think range toy. They are absurdly accurate and built like a tank.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yes it is something special in terms of history and sheer build quality. It may be one of the most robust and accurate combat pistols ever. It’s also YUGE and a bit of a boondoggle as it was built to spec but ended up being a bit large for its primary user group SOCOM.

it’s a killer suppressor host.

It really was designed to be used offensively vs defensively.

It’s an interesting beast long since surpassed but is one hell of a gun.

Think plastic Desert Eagle’ish in size. Not quite that big but up there. Next to a full size P30 the P30 looks almost like an SK model.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I want one for all the reasons stated. But, a USP 45T is almost as good, smaller (you don't need a tripod to shoot it), is an excellent suppressor host, incredibly durable and reliable and substantially cheaper. You can also modify a USP to various configurations unlike a Mk 23 (mine is a V3). I do think 2500 is high. BUT, if you want it and can afford it, why not? Your great grandkids might be breaking it in - it is that over built and durable.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinkasaurusrex:
Is it something special?
No. Unless you like over-engineered firearms that spent the vast majority of their lives in arms rooms.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 1911 .45 and qualified with it in the US Navy. The HK USP45 is a fine shooter in comparison. It also feels bigger than the 1911. Part of it is certainly the double vs. single stack magazines.

All that being said, the Mk23 feels even bigger that the USP45.

Handle it first. It is a big pistol.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool guns. Think match grade 1911 accuracy, Glock reliability and DE size! As 90s tacti-cool as it comes.

Practical? Well, no other than the worlds best HD pistol maybe.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Unless it’s a first year KG or second year KH (‘96 or ‘97) like new to new in box with camo case, it’s probably not worth $2500. They are new all day long online for under 2K. I have 2 MARK 23’s and I will say that they are indeed amazing pistols and worth owning just for the history behind it IMHO. It’s probably the most tested handgun in terms of rigorous standards, in history. Meant to be an offensive pistol, capable of going up to 30,000 rounds of 45 super without breaking, all the while with match grade 1911 accuracy and to absolute hell and back reliability.

It’s a tank, but it’s surprisingly comfortable and points great in the hand. Recoil is very manageable despite the large slide. Not the fastest gun for rapid fire, though it is a tack driver and confidence inspiring during slow to medium paced strings. The slide finish was a special maritime coating early on that is more slick and shiny. The newer ones from the early 2000’s on I believe are all the HE finish, which is more matte satin. I like them both, but the older finish, although more desirable, scratches easily.

There is a great deal of old threads on hkpro.com that really dive into the Mark 23 and after reading nearly all of them, I appreciate it even more.

Here is one of mine. You just have to shoot one to really get the best idea of how much you may like it. I’ve seen many guns that look appealing enough, but after I shot them I was like “wow” and was hooked. This is one of those guns, at least to me.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Yeah. It’s a special gun for several reasons but not for $2500. I love ‘em though I paid considerably less. Insane accuracy but it’s a big package. Make sure your comfortable with the grip before you commit.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

I have had mine since 01. Nothing shoots like it. I have the USP45t and KAC suppressor too. Wonderful gun. Shoots great. But it is not the same experience as shooting the Mark 23 suppressed. It's hard to explain. You just have to do it. Not worth 2500.00 unless it comes with extra cool stuff or is a first year unfired pristine gun. Even then....that is high. I'd buy a shooter. Way more fun. Also, it's big. Get used to it. It wasn't designed for concealment nor competition. It wasn't really designed for all combat scenarios or so I've read. It really had one purpose. Anyone using it for more than that may well be dissatisfied. Can't beat it for batmobile cool though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Dammit Darth, I love that photo.

I bought my first MK23 for around $2k. the second was a complete impulse buy when I found one on a classifieds site for $1400. They seem to be, at the moment, between batches. so it doesn't surprise me someone's trying to get $2500 for one right now, but some patience and you can definitely have you one for a lot less.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Back when I had more dollars than sense, I've bought guns simply because of unusual design. (Not for anywhere near that kind of money.) If you have the money, you won't go into excessive debt and your kids won't go hungry, and you just plain like the gun, why not? Nobody, including myself, is fit to be your judge. Now just hope nobody else snagged it while you're messing around. Big Grin

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It's so big, that I remember it being describe as a crew served weapon. Eek

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Very cool guns. Think match grade 1911 accuracy, Glock reliability and DE size! As 90s tacti-cool as it comes.

You should apply for a job at one of them gun rags. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
It's so big, that I remember it being describe as a crew served weapon. Eek

Ohhh that is nothing but internet hyperbole. All you need is a decent sling and a bipod and you will be fine. Wink

In reality, in case it hasn't been mentioned, HUGE, but not super heavy all things considered. Honestly like was said above they would make a pretty dandy home defense, repel boarders type of gun, but honestly they shine as just a odd gun, with a storied history that happens to be fun and reliable to shoot.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

But he didn't mention "12 one shot stops with JMBs 45 ACP Hardball"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

But he didn't mention "12 one shot stops with JMBs 45 ACP Hardball"

I get it. You don't like HK. Have you owned a Mk 23? What didn't you like about it?

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
What didn't you like about it?

Not the person in question and I kinda dig the Mark 23 as an oddity if you will but I will tell you what I personally don’t like about it (never owned)

-I don’t like the safety and decocker and different controls
-I think a gun of this size even back in the day should have a larger capacity especially if intended as a primary or offensive military weapon.
-I think the cost is astronomical even for what you are getting
-I think the gun is larger then it ever needed to be.

All that said those are only criticisms. I like the Mark23. I would own one if I could print a couple grand. It’s a very cool gun. Maybe not practical, maybe designed by committee, maybe not well loved by the intended audience but it is still a very COOL PISTOLA