SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you keep .22lr mags loaded?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you keep .22lr mags loaded? Login/Join 
Picture of JBird679
posted
First, I am a "mag whore" in that I have 10+ mags for my most-used pistols, and I keep them loaded so that when I get to the range they are ready to go. I don't make range trips as often as I'd like, so when I'm there I do not like to spend time loading or reloading mags.

A few years back I had a bad experience with a few GSG-522 rifle mags busting open at the seams after I left them loaded for some time. Clearly that's a cheap gun and cheap mags, but since that happened I have not kept any .22lr pistol or rifle mags loaded except the Ruger 10/22 mags as I feel they're higher quality.

Lately I've been shooting my .22 pistols more often (Ruger SR22 and Walter PPQ, both excellent btw), and I find loading at the range really annoying. I do sometimes load them at home while packing them in the range bag, but that doesn't help if I get a free hour and make a last minute decision to make a quick range trip.

So... do you keep your .22lr pistol and/or rifle mags loaded when not in use? Why or why not? Have you ever had any issues?

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep them loaded.
Haven't noticed a problem.

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I load mine the night before I plan a range visit.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I keep mine loaded. For my Walter P22. Never had an issue.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nope. Don't regard it as a defensive weapon, so no need to keep loaded.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine .22LR mags are any different than CF mags. There is more stress on the mag springs when loading/unloading than in static storage mode.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been a guy 5,10,15 mags for my 22lr pistols type of guy. I like to be able to load a whole box of 50 at one sitting. Well, 2 or even 3 boxes at one sitting. I currently have 15 p226 22lr, 15 Smith and Wesson victory, 10 Beretta 87t, 10 Smith 41, 6 sig trailside. All are kept loaded.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Exactly the same here.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same. .22LR is recreational ammo to me. Shoot for shits and giggles. The only mags I keep loaded are 9mm and 5.56. But one of these days, I will keep .308 mags loaded Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timbermart:
I keep them loaded.
Haven't noticed a problem.
Yup. Not because it's a 'defensive weapon', it's because I hate loading at the range. I go there to shoot, then go home. So I load 22LR mags and training mags for other weapons beforehand - often days or weeks before - then leave them that way.

Often after shooting, I will load them with ammo as I store weapons / magazines / stuff after that trip. I usually stage my range bag at the same time, so next time around it's simply a need to check I have the correct training magazines in the bag, put the correct weapons in, and then go. Everything else is already set up - re-stocked - stapler, targets, tools, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I keep my range 22LR pistols magazines loaded for the range.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Yes; I have several of the Ruger 25-rounders loaded up and stashed in the bag of my 10/22 Takedown. Haven’t noticed any problems yet.

The Takedown in its provided backpack style case just lends itself to being ready-to-go.

My other .22’s I don’t keep loaded.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I recently found a half dozen loaded Ruger 10-.22 mags that were untouched for over 15 years. They shot perfectly.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ditto.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post