SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 239 and 556. Sig's support is starting to concern me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 239 and 556. Sig's support is starting to concern me Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I will never understand why Sig ditches the 556. I still love mine, but obviously they didn’t sell well, or something.

initial release pricing of $2200 fell flat because Swiss prices, US quality. And AR's were half that. Pricing dropped to as low as $899 for 556 Classics via Buds.....finally competitive with AR's. Quality suffered in getting the pricing that low. As AR's fell even further, the 556XI was goofy and overpriced and never supported with the modularity that was promised so there was zero reason to buy in.

I love my 556's...I have two in 5.56, one in 7.62x39, a WCA 551, two Swiss 553's, a Swiss 551 and have two JDI guns on order, a 550P and 751 SAPR with 16" barrel.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Photoman:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ask Smith and Wesson how much support they have for the 1076. Or 5906. Or 4046.

Ask Ruger how much support they have have for the P86, P89, P90, etc.

Ask Colt how much support they currently have for the Python, Trooper MKIII, or Diamondback.

To get angry at SIG because they don't keep a full line up of items on discontinued pistols is silly.

Those guns haven't been made in years.

I think it's reasonable to be angry that SIG no longer sells magazines for a new pistol I bought from them THIS YEAR.

All of those guns were made in a time when gun companies kept HUGE inventories at their locations. It was a different time. Now, it is not uncommon for companies to keep very little stock on hand. It is not uncommon for companies to make the vendor that produces the parts keep them on hand, so they may be ordered at the whim of the company, and the supplier often has to sit on this stuff if they want the contract.

This keeps the companies bottom line fresh, and they don't have to show on the books that they are sitting on a lot of stuff. If the P89, 5906, or any other pistol were dropped today, it would look very much the same as what you see from SIG. And it isn't just the gun industry that is doing this to their vendors. It is the corporate way, and has been since the mid 2000s. If you aren't setting on stock, you don't have a bunch of money tied up in stock. If you make the vendor sit on the product, you can get what you need from the vendor, set up on 90 day net, and turn out the product and sell it with money you haven't invested in the parts yet.

FYI- Smith and Wesson sold off millions in parts many years ago to Numrich because of the stock they had on hand. A large state police agency that still issued the 4006 at times had to check with Numrich for replacement parts because Smith didn't stock anything for out of production guns. Smith later purchased parts back from Numrich, and provided them to the agency.

No one sits on any kind of stock these days.

I get the anger. I do. But, that is not the corporate world we live in these days. Companies aren't going to sit on parts, or magazines in the warehouse. I hope that that someone steps up and produces accessories/parts/magazines for the P239. While it was never my cup of tea, because it is not a gun that performs well at speed, some people bought them and like them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, if you want guaranteed product support for life, your choices are 1911, Glock, AR15, 700 series bolt actions, and probably some others.

IE, you can make those weapons with essentially zero OEM components.

With that being said, most firearm owners never come remotely close to wearing a weapon out. Because to do so, you have to much more in ammo than the weapon cost.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"No one sits on any kind of stock these days."
I think this completely misses the point. What Sig needs to do is not sit on stock for years. I don't expect that. What Sig and every other vendor needs to do is be honest about the end of life and offer a chance while the supply lines are active for owners to get spares as they choose. The opposite of what actually happens. In many industries its completely normal for the supplier to say Product X will be going out of production on a certain date that you can order parts till another date and then that's it. If Sig had said to me we are killing the 556 but you within the next 90 days you can order any spares you want, and they made them available. I would be totally happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I think this completely misses the point. What Sig needs to do is not sit on stock for years. I don't expect that. What Sig and every other vendor needs to do is be honest about the end of life and offer a chance while the supply lines are active for owners to get spares as they choose. The opposite of what actually happens. In many industries its completely normal for the supplier to say Product X will be going out of production on a certain date that you can order parts till another date and then that's it. If Sig had said to me we are killing the 556 but you within the next 90 days you can order any spares you want, and they made them available. I would be totally happy.

I agree. that is a win win for SIG and the customers

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I agree. that is a win win for SIG and the customers

Totally agree. I would have spent some serious $$$ to make sure my 556s and 552 would be up and running for more than a generation. SIG woudlh ave got some extra dollars kepts me and others happys and satisifed their customer base.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK provided support for the P7 series for something like 10 years after the models' discontinuation date. They made it known that that was the time frame to get things done or else when they announced the retirement of the platform.

But that was in another decade.

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I just checked Ruger’s website and you can still get parts and magazines for the Ruger MK I and
MK II not to mention the MK III. Ruger stopped production of the MK I in 1981 and the MK II in 2004. I’m sure there is a fair amount of compatiability between the generations. But, the MK I magazines and the MK II magazines are NOT interchangeable yet they are still in production.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Res ipsa loquitur

posted June 21, 2018 11:26 AM Hide Post
I just checked Ruger’s website and you can still get parts and magazines for the Ruger MK I and
MK II not to mention the MK III. Ruger stopped production of the MK I in 1981 and the MK II in 2004. I’m sure there is a fair amount of compatiability between the generations. But, the MK I magazines and the MK II magazines are NOT interchangeable yet they are still in production.

Precisely why I haven't purchased in a Sig in many years. Frankly they have nothing in their current catalog I'd take over my P220, P229 or P239. Though I have continued to purchase Ruger products. I have a thing for stainless Mark II .22's and GP100's.

Thank You,

Mark
Bikers For Christ M/M

The Bible: Read, Apply, Repeat

Posts: 474 | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

How's their website stock and inventory on the P89?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

How's their website stock and inventory on the P89?

Slim. You can still get magazines and few other items that are useless. But, magazines are still in production or they at least have a large inventory despite discontinuing the P89 in 2007 - a little better than nothing for the P239 the same year it is discontinued.
http://http://shopruger.com/searchprods.aspshopruger.com/searchprods.asp.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Do I have any real worries with my two, yes two, 239T pistols? I got them at different times. The second very recently. The original 225 was impossible to find so I settle for the 239. Now a new 225a is out and the 239 are no longer. Phooey

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 239 has started stove piping. City armorer says get a new mag. Can do for $ 100+. Can buy a ProMag extended 8 or 10 shoot magazine for $38. It will be for range use only. Are they decent products.

Will the 10 Shot mag show a gap between it's finger grip and the grip bottom ? Many thanks.

I fully agree that sig should have at least carried magazines for awhile ! Pretty low !

Posts: 8 | Location: Auburn, Al | Registered: February 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never met a promag that was not crap. There may be one, but I doubt it. just don't do it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I lost a screw that holds the top rail on my duty 556. The Sig rep wasn't for sure that they had any. That sucks.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
They made the guns, and they got prime $$$ for (most) of them. I like the guns, really do, but will no longer spend my dollars in support of management which demonstrated this short term thinking. It is not uncommon to expect support which lasts at least a bit longer.

IMO they did not act wisely with their customer base.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They REALLY should have in stock some small parts like magazines on guns that are so recent. I find it pretty strange they abandoned them completely and so quickly......remember, they do make a profit when they sell parts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Heads up for our 239 9mm fans.

https://www.tacticalassaultgea...ine-9mm-8-round.html

I have ordered from the site before with no issues.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post