SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 239 and 556. Sig's support is starting to concern me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 239 and 556. Sig's support is starting to concern me Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
In the instance of the 239. I get it!! they don't need to have 2 single stack nines in their line up and I am sure the 225a1 is outselling it. But why couldn't Sig make a large run of magazines and notify their customers that there would be an end to the support. They could have supported their customers and made a profit while doing so.

Do they still support the 556 with parts and service? why own a product that will become an expensive paper weight if it breaks.

Anyone feel the same way about this?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Me, thats why I sold my 556...and my MCX's.

Its not soley a Sig problem, eventually, everyone does it, just usually not as quickly. In regards to the P239, it had a good run, I would've kept it over the 225 but its not like some of Sig other ventures where it was only around for 5 years and then dropped.

To get around that problem completely you'll need to invest in a more universal platform like an AR, 1911, AK, Glock etc...where other companies make the same gun or at least replacement parts.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I know last fall I contacted Sig about some small parts for my 556 ( popsicle sight part and screw) and no problem and no charge. The rep. I spoke with said they always have parts on hand for warranty and repairs. Try calling for what you need.

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
SIG NH is rather brutal in this. There's a long line of decaying carcasses that once made up the company's firearms lineup, many of which were conceived and came to market in the last 10-12 years. The 522 rimfire guns, always an excellent seller for us. The first gen MPX and MCX. The P224, P250 (despite some commonality with the P320). Lesser sales success SSG-3000 and SIG50 bolt guns. Of course the aforementioned 556 family. Probably others that I've forgotten. If SIG's bean counters see that something isn't moving, it will be put out to pasture post haste. As said above, other companies do the same; Ruger is also notable in commiting this practice. All this does is leave once loyal customers to twist in the wind. And too often swearing off ever buying another firearm made by them.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The reason I walked away from a very good price on a 556XI... Whenever you have a chance to spend time with Sigs reps on their traveling show in your area, pose the question, how do you support products that you’ve obsoleted? Response will be a combination of crickets and who farted?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 NEW P239 pistols last year both with 2017 production dates. Very concerning SIG does not inventory a magazine six months later? What does it take to stock a few parts? Magazines, Parts Kits, and Barrels. They still show P250 mags? If a car manufacturer did this it would be all over the news.

P220 ELITE SAO 10MM + P220 SAS GEN 2 45 ACP
P226 MK-25 9MM [2]
P227 45 ACP
M11-A1 9MM [2]
P229 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P229 SAS GEN 2 357 + P229 CARRY SAS 357 + P229 ELITE 40 S&W
P239 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P239 SAS GEN 2 357
P290 9MM
1911 TACOPS 45ACP

Posts: 82 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: October 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ask Smith and Wesson how much support they have for the 1076. Or 5906. Or 4046.

Ask Ruger how much support they have have for the P86, P89, P90, etc.

Ask Colt how much support they currently have for the Python, Trooper MKIII, or Diamondback.

To get angry at SIG because they don't keep a full line up of items on discontinued pistols is silly.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Me, thats why I sold my 556...and my MCX's.

Its not soley a Sig problem, eventually, everyone does it, just usually not as quickly. In regards to the P239, it had a good run, I would've kept it over the 225 but its not like some of Sig other ventures where it was only around for 5 years and then dropped.

To get around that problem completely you'll need to invest in a more universal platform like an AR, 1911, AK, Glock etc...where other companies make the same gun or at least replacement parts.
Pretty much this.

Jones tells it like it is, but SIG moves pretty fast when it comes to dropping stuff, changing gears, and moving on.

While I have some exotics (SCARs / HKs), I have parts for those and the rest is AR15s / Glocks and soon to add more Beretta 92 handguns. Things where there will be parts for a long long time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The 556 deal kind of irked me a bit. I was about to get one. As many ARs and AR pattern rifles there are, the 556 would have had a good niche had they gotten it going with reliability. Now the have circus or virtus or whatever. Bleh.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have a 556xi that I love it feels good to shoot. I only have a few thousand rounds fired so far and zero problems. I was able to pick the stock adapter to use M4 stocks makes the weapon even better. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Ronin. I'm disappointed in Sig but i'm not surprised. I love my 239. I love my Sig551a1. I suspect the 2022 will be gone soon as well. Happily after the 556 debacle I collected a bunch of spring kits, mags and spare parts for all of my Sigs. CDNN has some spare parts for many of the sig offerings. hopefully I can keep them up and running for a long time.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with gw3971. I suspect the 2022 will go next. And I will say the unthinkable: The full size P220 may now be a slow seller in a polymer world.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Two years ago, upper management stated clearly that the 2022 was going to be in their line up for many years to come. It is their "entry" level pistol into the market. They even were talking a revamp/relaunch of the pistol.

That was two years, and seven marketing directors ago. Who knows now.

As to the P220/P226/P229 goes, they will be around for years and years to come. There are just way too many of them out there not to be supported. And due to the numbers, as well as the numbers currently being produced, support will go on for many years to come, one way or the other. If the company were to abandon the 226, aftermarket will provide enough to fill everyones needs for years to come.

When an aftermarket parts company looks at the viability of a product line, the first thing they look at is "how many units are out there, how many units are currently being sold". If the numbers are great enough to undertake the cost of R&D, if the need is there, they launch the project.

I can think of a couple companies that would happily step up to support the P220/P226/P229 platforms.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
If I want to keep an old gun -- I have a S&W Mdl 910, a P239, and a Colt 1903 .32 ACP from 1926 -- I have to be prepared to scrounge parts. That's the tenor of this email thread -- none of these guns is supported by its manufacturer any more. The P239 is just the latest to fall off the table, albeit sooner than one would have expected.

This is just something we have to accept, I guess. The moral of the story is to not use an old (unsupported) gun for daily carry, competition, etc., unless you can live with an interruption in availability while you figure out where to get parts. (Plenty of people carry P239s, S&W 3913's, etc., and are aware of this).

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If a gun is around a long time, there will be good 3rd party support for it. The problem with Sig is that they move on so quickly that no third party supports them either because there simply aren’t enough out in the wild.

I will never understand why Sig ditches the 556. I still love mine, but obviously they didn’t sell well, or something.

I have not bought another Sig rifle after the 556 debacle and will not.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my most negative issue about sig. I truly don't care that they drop a product. It happens. all the time for every type and nature of product. Sales are king. But you need to setup to support those suckers that brought your now discontinued product. It doesn't have to be anything super. Make consumables in enough volume that people can buy them (you know like the spare parts kits and magazines). Have adequate spares to meet your warranty obligations (they FLUNK this, shame on them). Imagine for the moment if your Ford truck needed warranty repairs and they said no we can't get parts. Its really not that hard. But they do not care. That's the big problem.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Ask Colt how much support they currently have for the Python, Trooper MKIII, or Diamondback.

To get angry at SIG because they don't keep a full line up of items on discontinued pistols is silly.

Yes and no. I don’t expect them to keep parts for years but SIG seems to have a habbit of dropping support out of nowhere for a platform when they should at least show some ongoing support. I think HK and the P7 line shows how you can support a platform for a while without killing off your customer base. SIG’s lack of support for the 556/522 and the P239 is aggravating and not justified this early in the game in my opinion.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 1976 IIRC trooper MkIII that I took to colt in 2011. They re-blued it royal blue, replaced some trigger parts and did an action job. It took 6 months but the only thing I paid for was the action job and royal blue. The royal blue if I remember them saying was sent to Doug Turnbull.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Those guns haven't been made in years.

I think it's reasonable to be angry that SIG no longer sells magazines for a new pistol I bought from them THIS YEAR.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Add the 716, at least variants of it to the list. CDNN has been blowing out barrels, BCG, bolts and other small parts recently.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post