SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Legion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legion Login/Join 
posted
Hey everyone I have a question for you guys: what are your thoughts on the Legion variation? I have a desert P238 and a M18 and I am wondering if the getting a Legion P226 or P320 is worth the extra cash?

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas! | Registered: February 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Legion pistols. There is nothing wrong with them, in that I'd say don't get one, but it really depends on your budget and your intent.

I wouldn't pay the retail price for a new Legion P220, P226, or P229 personally. To me, the disparity between a stock pistol and the Legion is too great, and they're overpriced. Others may disagree. I prefer to buy used, in new condition, and I generally pay considerably less for handguns than new.

The PVD finish on the legions isn't very durable in my experience, especially if you'll be doing a lot of holster presentations. It's thin and doesn't stand up well. It looks nice; the Legion pistols look great. Finish for me isn't just about the aesthetics; it's protective too, sometimes makes cleaning easier, etc. A more expensive pistol shouldn't have a less durable finish.

The P320 legion is a great bargain: you can't put together the components and features in a P320, for that price and in my opinion, is the best deal going in a P320. That said, it's not lightweight and it's not compact, so if you're buying for concealed carry, probably not the best choice. If you're going to go shoot steel or otherwise compete, and you want the option of an optic, and you'll be carrying with an external holster on a good belt, then it's a great choice.

The P320 Legion has a tungsten-infused polymer grip, making it feel more like a metal pistol; it's heavier than other P320 grip modules. The barrel is slightly longer, the slight a little different, and a different recoil rod and uncaptured spring (lets you use different weights to tune the firearm to your hand loads). The mag well attachment adds a little weight. The trigger works just fine; I'm more of a fan of the Grayguns triggers, which are in all my competition P320's, but the P320 has a very good trigger and the current option works.

Back to the classic Sigs in the Legion format; you won't go wrong with one, but it's really up to you, your budget, and your purpose. I have a P229 Legion with a very nice trigger, and a P226 Legion purchased about the same time in which the trigger feels gritty. Not offensively so, but not what I'd expect in the Legion, either. I'm not impressed.

Sig has the "Legion Club," which is supposed to be an exclusive "club" that allows "members" to purchase special gear; all overblown and overpriced, it's a very transparent and patronizing way to massage the ego of those that that can be convinced to pay the extra. If someone is shallow enough to feel that belonging to the "club" is somehow special and justifies the cost, more power to them. I couldn't give a shit and though I'm a "member," I don't own any special legion stuff.

They do give you a "coin" if you buy new...but won't sell you one if you buy a used legion. Apparently if you buy used, you're not worthy.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for an actual answer to my question. I get excited and want to buy stuff that looks cool, I think it's the Marine in me lol. I had the 226 Legion in my hands a few times and it just feels like a badass gun.

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas! | Registered: February 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is. You won't go wrong with a 226 Legion. I like mine; just describing it warts and all. I'm just cheap and a bit choosy.

My 226 Legion is .357 Sig, with a .40 barrel, and I have a 9mm barrel for it, too. It will fire 9mm, though I'd never carry it that way. I've fed 9mm out of a .40 magazine and it functioned fine, though it was just an experiment to see if it would work.

The P226 is a fine firearm all around, Legion or not.

Having said that, I've never been a big fan of double action/single action pistols, though I've carried them for a lot of years, and own quite a few.

If you're going to carry, I'd say the P226 would be a great choice. If you're going to compete or use it for the range, the P320 Legion is an outstanding choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...orum_scope=430601935

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Legion models seem to be more marketing than anything else. I would buy a used Legion if I had a real interest in one, to get around the increased price.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good responses so far. I have both old & new versions of a 226 and a 220, including an SAO Legion. My latest purchase is a LEO trade-in 220; a basic Nitron model in very good condition. With the addition of new grips and SRT, as well as some new springs, it now has favorite child status. I see no need to buy the 220 Legion in DA/SA. I do own that SAO Legion in 220 and I really like it, but I opted for the Legion simply to get the SAO.

All that said, a Legion offers a lot for the money if buying new. And if buying used, it’s wise to acknowledge that you’ll likely spend $150 or more to replace grips, add SRT, freshen springs, etc.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by echofiveniner:
Thank you for an actual answer to my question. I get excited and want to buy stuff that looks cool, I think it's the Marine in me lol. I had the 226 Legion in my hands a few times and it just feels like a badass gun.

You will find a wide variety of opinions anywhere... even here on SF. I have several SIGs and while I love my 1911’s, my absolute favorite for fit, feel, and function is my 226 Legion... hands down! While I got mine new, it was mainly due to them being very new to market at the time and I got a great deal from an on-line retailer.

All that said, because of my infatuation with it, I built one on my favorite carry-friendly frame. It may not have the “cool factor” the factory legion has but with the gray gun enhancement it’s a bad ass as well. Frankenlegion on the right...

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I bought a used P226 legion in 357 Sig from a fellow forum member late last year....

I really like it... for me it just feels good. Oh and on top of that shoots like a dream...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ everything sns3guppy posted above. I tried a P229 Legion a Sig demo day and lusted for one until I got turned onto CZ.

As far as hammer-fired guns go, check out CZ - something from their Shadow line if you can afford it. One of their Cajunized regular guns for price points below that. Also check out the Beretta LTT editions.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only "Legion" that impresses me to date is the P320 X5 Legion, and that's primarily due to its tungsten-infused grip module over what the now discontinued original 320 X5 received. Feels like a totally different gun unlike the other Legion variations for other SIG models. Even though there are tweaks beyond physical appearance in the other Legions, those guns still seem like it's all about 98% marketing and not nearly enough about any tangible content to justify paying for the Legion "upgrade". It also didn't help that the actual Legion Gray PVD finish was spectacularly bad on quite a lot of the early guns, worse in application and durability than the standard Nitron finish that SIG had been doing for ages.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
The only "Legion" that impresses me to date is the P320 X5 Legion, and that's primarily due to its tungsten-infused grip module over what the now discontinued original 320 X5 received. Feels like a totally different gun unlike the other Legion variations for other SIG models. Even though there are tweaks beyond physical appearance in the other Legions, those guns still seem like it's all about 98% marketing and not nearly enough about any tangible content to justify paying for the Legion "upgrade". It also didn't help that the actual Legion Gray PVD finish was spectacularly bad on quite a lot of the early guns, worse in application and durability than the standard Nitron finish that SIG had been doing for ages.

I have been told very similar stuff by other people, seems to be the case. I love that X5 looks bad ass but I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Have you heard anything about this: https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/...-9mm-pistol-rmr-cut/ ? Wondering if Zev is doing a good 320.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:

The finish thing is true...many reports of poor experiences. I've been lucky. I bought a P226 the first year Legions came out. I have well over 30,000 rounds through it and thousands and thousands of presentations from the holster. It's remarkable how good the finish looks. I lucked out.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has definitely given me some food for thought. I am going to continue shooting my M18 and P238 while I decide. Rock on!