SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First time ever shooting a pistol (X5 Open) with RDS (Red Dot Sight) /// ** Update shoot with the X6 Skeleton ** (p.2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time ever shooting a pistol (X5 Open) with RDS (Red Dot Sight) /// ** Update shoot with the X6 Skeleton ** (p.2) Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
And I am quite pleased.

The gun: P226 X5E Open. This gun originally came with the big and bulky Xmount with the Aimpoint Micro sitting on top, which I disliked and got rid off. I previously shot 100 rounds using just the rudimentary fixed rear sight, and the result was less than underwhelming. Then, I had Robert Burke put on the Vortex Venom 3MOA mounted on the Armory Craft plate. The result is much more to my liking. The SAO trigger is set at 2 & 1/4 lbs. And, as expected of a Mastershop gun, it's nothing short of amazing.

The RDS: I'm glad I chose the 3MOA instead of the 6.5, as the 3MOA dot is big enough already. The only complaint about the Vortex Venom is that the adjustment "knobs" give me neither tactile nor audible clicks, which is a little annoying, when trying to dial in the POI.

Ammo: 200 rds of Geco 124Gr FMJ.

Shooting: The RDS makes shooting so much easier than with iron sights. Obviously, I have room to improve, but I'm very pleased with this RDS shooting. I'm seeing more fun in the future. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As well you should be pleased. Nice set-up with very good results. How much does the compensator reduce recoil?

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Sweet pistol. Nice shooting.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Nice set up there!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooting with a slide mounted RDS was a game changer for me. Beautiful gun!

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Slide mounted RDS are the wave of the future! I'm a convert.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you going to wear this one out and break it too??? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The site looks really good on the pistol and isn't too big and bulky like a lot of the red dots...….Nice shooting too.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Q ........ you are the man. If I am sucking up? So be it. Q always amazes me whether it be the P228 collection, advice or his vast knowledge. Not to forget you're generosity. Humor me please? Tell me what you do not know. Email me if you are more comfortable that way. I hope am not out of bounds. Just floored at my end. Thank you in advance, John. I would not be upset if you told me to go kick rocks or mind my own damned business.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Q That pistol needs to be in a movie Smile

Do you like the GECO ammo? I see it on sale once in a while...

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
As well you should be pleased. Nice set-up with very good results. How much does the compensator reduce recoil?

Can't tell exactly, since I don't shoot it without the comp. But, it's like shooting a .22.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Are you going to wear this one out and break it too??? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin .

Gonna be hard to crack the frame on this one. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:
Q ........ you are the man. If I am sucking up? So be it. Q always amazes me whether it be the P228 collection, advice or his vast knowledge. Not to forget you're generosity. Humor me please? Tell me what you do not know. Email me if you are more comfortable that way. I hope am not out of bounds. Just floored at my end. Thank you in advance, John. I would not be upset if you told me to go kick rocks or mind my own damned business.

Thanks, John. But, I really don't know anything about SIG's plastic guns. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Q That pistol needs to be in a movie Smile

Do you like the GECO ammo? I see it on sale once in a while...

Should have been in Resident Evil. Big Grin

I like Geco very much. Very clean and affordable, and goes bang every time. Buy them whenever I find them.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are happy and I know:

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

But for me that is one more ugly pistol.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the RDS. I started with the reverse two tone DA/SA P220 in 10mm, and after having the nitron blasted off, sent the pistol to Robert Burke. He milled the Slide and installed a trijicon RMR, and also an action job and I am getting 2 inch groups from 25 yards off a rest, and about 4 inch groups at 50 yards. These groups are similar to what I get with my browning buckmark with an RDS. Red Dots are amazing.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot one pistol with a red dot sight and found it disconcerting. Like with laser sights, the only thing worse than trying to hold iron sights on the bullseye, is trying to hold an illuminated dot steady, that's dancing all over the target.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Neat setup you’ve got there!

I have an OKO RDS that mounts on the built-in Weaver rail of my Beretta 87T. I mostly use iron sights at the range, but the RDS is great for dry fire. If you have a fault in your trigger pull, it’s so much easier to detect a twitch when the trigger breaks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – Those grips appear to be the very same Hogue G10 black-gray Gmascus checkered grips that I put on my 9mm X5 Comp.

Where did you get the nice grip screws? I’m still using the grungy slotted screws that held the original polymer grips in place. I bought a set of ordinary P226 hex socket grip screws, but the diameter of the screw heads is less than that of my slotted screws. Thanks, in advance.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it. This seems like a good rig.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^G-Mascus Black, actually.
Grip screws came like that on the gun.

Q

posted Hide Post
That pistol is a work of art.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
four seconds? 14 seconds? 4 minutes , how long did that damage take , per target?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice weapon and nice shooting!

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post