SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New from Wilson Combat
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New from Wilson Combat Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice pistol, but that's a lot of money

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Just so we're clear on what $2900 in guns looks like....

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
Just so we're clear on what $2900 in guns looks like....

here's what $2900 + $2900 in guns looks like...

To each his own.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I allow myself one gun a year. This year I went with an HK SP5K. Next year I was going to go with a 9mm 1991. I was thinking about the Dan Wesson Chaos but this might scratch the itch. Luckily I have plenty of time to save my money.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we can all agree that WC makes finely tuned high quality firearms.

A few things come immediately to mind.

First and foremost one has to acknowledge the Hudson H9 https://www.hudsonmfg.com that was just shown at the shot show, and has been polarizing.

At $1500 it seems like a bargain compared to the Wilson!

Secondly, WC already makes a single stack 9mm called the EDC 9, that retails for a full $1000 MORE! So what gives with their pricing?

And thirdly, IT IS ABOUT DAMN TIME that manufacturers are brave enough to bring to market "1911" inspired pistols WITHOUT a ridiculous, antiquated, vestigial, redundant, GRIP SAFETY!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:

And thirdly, IT IS ABOUT DAMN TIME that manufacturers are brave enough to bring to market "1911" inspired pistols WITHOUT a ridiculous, antiquated, vestigial, redundant, GRIP SAFETY!

Granted it's wide body 2011 and not 1911's but SVI and Phoenix Trinity both make grips where the grip safety is inoperable and fixed in place. I'll post a pic of the back side of my gun. It's pretty slick. Not sure when SVI started doing it, but it's been some years. The PT grip is newer.

Edit to add:

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for the picture!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I'm still waiting for a semi-custom 1911 company to put out a top shelf 938 style carry gun.

I'm standing in line right behind you.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I've been intrigued by this pistol myself. I can't help but wonder where one gets a good holster for a handgun such as this.....or a mag holster for that matter.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 886 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder what one of the big name manunfacturers (SIG, S&W, Colt, Ruger, Springfield, etc.) could sell this for, as a non-custom, non-hand fitted, mass produced pistol? I wonder if they could sell enough of them to make money? I'm not a 1911 guy, but this is a nice package, and would still be if mass produced.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A custom holster-maker, when you send him the gun to work with.

quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
I've been intrigued by this pistol myself. I can't help but wonder where one gets a good holster for a handgun such as this.....or a mag holster for that matter.

posted Hide Post
They have said it will fit the same holster as the single stack EDC and probably most other holsters for 4" 1911 mutants.

The magazine has the same tube as a Walther PPQ and will therefore fit its pouches... or most other double column metal 9mm mag pouches.

Posts: 3283 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Before yesterday, these were unknown models to me... But I do have one of my wide body 5" 40's off being fit with with a 4.25" 9mm top end. It should be back in a couple of weeks. Hope it turns out as nice as these two offerings.

I picked up my version last week...

Holsters are problematic, more so because I am wanting to carry it with a light. I found a guy that makes one for the TRP with an APL light... it should work for this one and give me the flexibility should I want to carry it with the 5" 40 cal top end on it.

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The grip profile on this pistol is extremely nice. Wish I could hold one. Anyone think the grip safety is pinned or welded to deactivate? It doesnt look functional.

Good question. I ran the video again and paused it to look at the grip. I don't know.
Larry did say this was a T&E pistol.
I agree that I wish I could hold one. Perhaps Top Gun Supply will get one in and I can go hold it.

The grip safety looks similar to Bruce Gray's hard tail conversion.

It does not have a grip safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
This will not do a helluva lot that a Glock 19 will not do.

It is a very cool 1911 though, 7075 means they care.

Yep, all the rest of the gun makers should just close up shop because there isn't a handgun made or ever will be made that can do anything a Glock 19 can't do. Big Grin

Μολὼν λαβέ

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
Nice looking piece. It seems to me that it would appeal to the type of person where a Timex would get the job done, but only a Rolex will do.

I hear people all the time say why buy a Sig when a Hi-Point, Taurus, (insert cheap shitty gun here) can get the job done.

Really, if you've never treated yourself to a Wilson Combat pistol, sell of 5-6 of your plastic guns and get yourself a Wilson.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
Nice looking piece. It seems to me that it would appeal to the type of person where a Timex would get the job done, but only a Rolex will do.

I hear people all the time say why buy a Sig when a Hi-Point, Taurus, (insert cheap shitty gun here) can get the job done.

Really, if you've never treated yourself to a Wilson Combat pistol, sell of 5-6 of your plastic guns and get yourself a Wilson.

I agree 100% with this. Wilson makes one fine pistol. I own 2 of them and nothing in the safe compares to them in my opinion. The quality is second to none!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
This thread on the 1911 forum is packed with info on this gun. WilsonCombatRep answers many questions and gives insight on this pistol. It's worth reading only if you scan through and read his replies. Post #40 in the thread is of particular interest to Sig fans. Cool

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=754186

Μολὼν λαβέ

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Thanks for the link. One REALLY interesting tidbit I got out of that.

From the Wilson rep
quote:

Keep in mind we designed this gun to built on our brand new 5 axis CNC machines. They are built to an extremely high tolerance on a machine built for the task-so there is somewhat less fitting, prep, blending etc than there is with one of our 1911 builds..likewise the parts are all made for this one gun-the X9-they don't have to be compatible with the aftermarket "World of 1911's" so we can build them to tighter tolerances and less handwork. Of course there is no beavertail-one less part to fit BUT a very expensive backstrap takes its place, along with very precisely made grips. The extractor is another part-we designed it to drop in without fitting. To do this, everything must be perfect-breechface, extractor cut and part.

The barrel still has to be fit and timed and linked but again, we build the slides and the barrel to particular tolerance so they are very close.

The top end takes down completely without tools (no paperclip). Bottom with just a 1/8" punch. Thre is a way to take the whole gun apart without tools if you were stranded on a desert island but I am not going there

The finest quality production handgun ever built, the SIG 210, was kind of the inspiration in some ways for this gun. Extreme precision. Tight tolerances. Elegant design. Less handwork, but only after a huge outlay in tooling and machinery (and engineering expenses!)..

So this is not as much of a hand fitted custom gun as the "regular" Wilsons. So this ties into what I said before. A mass producer could crank out a lot of these, and get down the price. This is NOT Wilson's business model, so I would never expect them to do it. But some of the brands I mentioned previously very well could. I just don't know if there'd be a big market for an all metal SAO carry gun, which, even if mass produced, would be a lot more expensive ($1000+-) than the now ubiquitous poly-striker guns.

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
^

A mass producer could crank out a lot of these, and get down the price. This is NOT Wilson's business model, so I would never expect them to do it. But some of the brands I mentioned previously very well could. I just don't know if there'd be a big market for an all metal SAO carry gun, which, even if mass produced, would be a lot more expensive ($1000+-) than the now ubiquitous poly-striker guns.

Exactly why it will ever be mass produced. The masses want cheap, disposable crap. For that reason, the masses will never have any Wilson Combat product. Not because they can't "afford" it. $3,000 is not $3 million. Anyone who works for a living can save up $3K. It is a choice not to have it because Glock and M&P do the same thing for 1/6th the price. They(Glock etc) don't look, feel or shoot as well as a Wilson, but the end result is the same, bullets on targets or in bad guys.

My 3 favorite guns are 1911's, Sig P series(P226, P229 etc) and Beretta 92's. I'll likely never buy another polymer gun in my life. I've had them all and don't like any of them. The day metal guns stop being made is the day I will have bought my last new pistol.

Μολὼν λαβέ