SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Desert Sand finish?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Desert Sand finish? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
Has anyone had any experience with the Desert Sand finish on the Gen-4 Glocks.

I have a chance to pick one up, and I was wondering how they wear?

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Understand that it's not a factory slide finish. It's just Cerakote/Duracote that was added by a distributor, retailer, or previous owner. It will show wear with use and holstering. But underneath, it still has the standard Glock finish, so the slide remains protected even if the coloring is worn.

The durability of these types of coloree coatings varies, based on what coating was used and how well it was applied.

I have a Full FDE G21 Gen 4, which was a limited run made by Lipseys (one of the major gun distributors) a few years ago. They bought FDE-framed Glocks from the factory, then had the slides Duracoted to match. The Duracote job is very well done, but it's still less durable than the standard Glock finish. It hasn't seen much holstering, but the Durakote FDE finish is already thinning on the corners of the slide.

The only Glocks to come from the factory with a non-black slide finish are the brand new G19Xs with their tan nPVD finish.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
What I have noticed:
MOST of the time, if the serial number plate is bare metal, the frame was injection molded that color. If the s/n plate is the same color as the frame, it was done aftermarket.

Was it Lipsey’s that I saw that got different colored frames straight from Glock?
Or Great Southwest?
And most other distributors had them cerakoted aftermarket?

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Correct. There have been various colors of frames available from the factory, including a few shades of green, FDE, and gray. But no factory colored slides, until the G19X.

Any Glock can have its slide or frame coated to be a different color. The tip about looking to see whether the serial number plate is shiny or coated is a good way to tell if the colored frame is factory or just coated.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
The sand color ones were acusport exclusives. They would send black guns to a cerakote finisher, who would paint them.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I have a G43 in the sand coating, the slide is holding up very well, there is some black showing on the frame where my Kydex is tight on the trigger guard.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I went with a Gen 5 G19 instead of the sand Gen 4, and the traditional black finish.

Thanks for the replies.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post