SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Python Refinish Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Python Refinish Advice Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a King Cobra I sent back to Colt to reblue and service and was pleased with results, price, and turn around. Thats my suggestion.

Posts: 340 | Registered: January 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never used them but have seen posts on other forums from a lot of folks who have. The majority were positive.

https://www.fordsguns.com

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a 6" blued Python and it has some small pitting at the end of the barrel and on the sides of the cylinder where it was left in a holster for some time....

it looks ugly but shoots like a dream

Enjoy your new grail gun

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, fall 2016 was the end of Colt Python refinishing/rework. (I was in the cue and then I wasn't via email and conversation with Colt). 12131 is right. It's likely that Colt will never do that quality of revolver work again because those capable master gunsmiths retired. Doesn't appear to be a "B" team.

I'm still debating about who to go to for a damaged Python barrel replacement and reblue. (No choice on this one, it's beyond merely ugly). Some of the shops that people speak highly of are kinda expensive and I have a son heading to college in the fall...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I have not dealt with Ford's personally but the reputation is there.

https://www.fordsguns.com/the-python-project

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
You should post pictures of your Python along with it's serial number over on the Colt forum and ask for suggestions/recommendations there.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t quite look like Nickel in the pictures. Post a good close up of some of the stamping. It looks like chrome to me, it has a slight blueish tint. It may have been refinished.

Either way, it looks really good. I wouldn’t spend the money on a refinish.

Try gently polishing with a micro fiber rag and Mother’s Billet Polish. It’s the least abrasive metal polish out there, you will be surprised at what it looks like. Very light touch. You don’t know how thick the finish is.

Either way, great deal on that gun.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
From the photos you posted it does not look like the Nickel Colt used back then.

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
From the photos you posted it does not look like the Nickel Colt used back then.

Do you think you guys could whip this thing in to good shape? Cost?

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I would say nickel because it looks just like a S&W 586 I have. Discolored because of (I guess) the rubber grips, and frosty in other spots. You can gently polish it out by hand. Though it might come back. Assuming it's nickel. Mine did a little.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From talking to guys at Colt Forum I found Frank Glenn, in Arizona.

I will have him work on my Colt 357 and OMM, once I have the cash on hand.

I've spoken with him on the phone and have high confidence in him also.

Frank Glenn custom gunsmithing

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I did both there and here. That pistol was a basement flood victim. It shoots perfectly, but it's way past cosmetics.
Even the purists agreed it needs a new barrel.

quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
You should post pictures of your Python along with it's serial number over on the Colt forum and ask for suggestions/recommendations there.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Go to www.customshopinc.com. They are who the Colt Custom Shop currently recommends. They do amazing work. I almost picked up a Python that needed a little love to send to them but I ended up buying a SIG MCX instead. If the gun shop still has the Python in a couple months and they're willing to come off the price a bit more then I still may take on the project. From talking to the guys at custom shop INC. I'm confident they would do a great job.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Someone nickled a blue gun.

Polish it up and just shoot it.

My Colt factory nickled gun, you can see where the copper layer actually warms the color a bit.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
From talking to guys at Colt Forum I found Frank Glenn, in Arizona.

I will have him work on my Colt 357 and OMM, once I have the cash on hand.

I've spoken with him on the phone and have high confidence in him also.

Frank Glenn custom gunsmithing

Frank Glenn is an excellent choice. He's a former Olympics champion shooter and former AZ DPS armorer. When he retired he opened his shop to build 1911 pistols. He's a master at whatever he does.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Beautiful score OP. No matter how you plan to refinish it, I bet its a great shooter. FYI, go easy on the Magnum loads though.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a bright stainless finish, but it's so rough it looks "brushed". Pythons also came with "brushed" stainless finishes in the late 80s/90s. I'd have it finely bead blasted to make it look like a "brushed" finish...or just leave it alone...it's a great find either way.

Second thought, it could be a brushed finish that someone tried to polish to "bright"...hard to say from pics, but it's stainless.

I'd ask Colt how it started out and then see if they could bead blast it, if that's your choice. Even if it started out "bright", it'll never look right that way again.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
At $750 into the Python, I would get it refinished if that is the way you want to go. You will always get you money back and if it cost you $300 or so to refinish, you will get that back also.

They aren't making them so you will be alright down the road. I bought this one new in 1987 and it has never been fired. Yours would look the same when it gets the bright stainless treatment and in my opinion, it is the best looking gun out there

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Please, before you spend any real money, get yourself some Mother's polish and a soft rag/towel and give it a try.

here's my 586 under the grips.

There were several spots on the frame and cylinder that looked the same way. I polished them out. I never bothered with under the grips.

I haven't shot the gun in several years, in taking that pic I saw a new spot on the frame.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the action for proper lock up? Your gun might be a mess on the outside, but mint on the inside.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post