SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Python Refinish Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Python Refinish Advice Login/Join 
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted
I picked up this 1972 Colt Python for $750. It’s in rough shape. I do have the original wood grips. A cop ran the numbers to confirm it is legal.

My first thoughts are to have a smith check out the action and refinish it. Looks like stainless to me.

What kind of work should I have done to it and who do you recommend? Will it need to be plated or can the stainless be fixed?

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks polished stainless to me. That can be re-polished to like new mirror. $750, what steal. So, you stole it, but the cop said it was legal? Razz

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Looks polished stainless to me. That can be re-polished to like new mirror. $750, what steal. So, you stole it, but the cop said it was legal? Razz

Big Grin I probably won’t ever find a steal like this again.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Might be nickel.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I believe any silver Python is Nickel, no?

I have the younger brother to yours. 4" Nickel, if I remember right it was a late 50's build.

I say look for some info on the timing check to make sure it's safe to shoot... then shoot it. A lot.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That's a nice pistol in spite of it's condition. I'd contact either COLT or aftermarket CCR. I'll bet it'll come back as good as new and twice it's cost.

Pythons came in blued, nickel, satin stainless and polished stainless. My first impression was it might be really degraded nickel. Ask COLT to run the serial number.

IMO, that trigger shoe really isn't needed.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bright Ni Pythons look different.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s Bright Stainless.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send it to someone who knows Pythons.

Call Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating and Weaponry, Inc. He is considered one of the best refinishers in the country.

http://www.apwcogan.com/home

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbacker_99,

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's stainless, you can polish it yourself pretty easy with some elbow grease and flitz or collinite metal wax and some microfibers. If it's nickel send it to Ford's in Florida. Colt made very very few stainless Pythons. Can't help you on who to send it to for work.....Turnbull possibly?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Will Colt refinish it?

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Will Colt refinish it?

Colt is not taking any Python work right now.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
quote:
Will Colt refinish it?

Bastards Frown

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
quote:
Will Colt refinish it?

Bastards Frown

Current Colt shop might not be qualified enough to work on real classics like the Python. Eek

Q

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I sent a Trooper, from the 60s, to Colt for repair. It came back with the same problem. I think that they did not have the right part(s) nor expertise.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Crazy! I need to find someone highly qualified. Top men. Only the best will do.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
That’s Bright Stainless.

A ‘72 Python couldn’t be stainless.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
That’s Bright Stainless.

A ‘72 Python couldn’t be stainless.

You’re right. Quick research shows stainless wasn’t an option until 1982. Nickel it is.

I’m actually glad. I think having it plated might make it look mint. Probably more expensive than polishing stainless.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts

posted Hide Post
Apparently we have very different definitions of rough! I would leave it as is and shoot it ANY refinish even a very professional one will decrease the value of the gun

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think I agree... I'd leave her as she is to show her hard knocks... now since it is just chrome coated... I might consider having her striped and blued well. Shiny stainless or chrome on a gun does nothing for me... now dull (grey) I like a lot.

guy up the road from me has one for sale with a little bit more barrel for $3K!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post