SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on the TLR-1 light and carrying one IWB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the TLR-1 light and carrying one IWB Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I’ll be moving to an administrative position in a few weeks and I plan to start carrying my Glock 19 with the tlr-1 at work. I carry the 19 off duty now and thought I’d continue carrying it with the light mounted. Has anyone carried IWB with a light? I’m worried about the extra bulk but like the idea of having a light with me all the time. Also, is there any reason I should not go with that light? I’ve heard nothing but good reviews but have never owned one.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
TLR-1 a no go from me. Too wide. Great for duty but I’d never carry IWB with one. I’d grab that Surefire XC1 instead. Designed for the 19 and way easier to lug around all day.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a G23 with a TLR-1 that I keep as my nightstand gun. I thought why not carry it as well? The problem is the TLR sticks out to G17 length, and is wider than the acutal pistol. The end result was too much bulk on a part of the pistol that made it difficult and uncomfotrable to conceal. The XC1 looks like it would solve most of those problems, I just didn't go that route.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used a G17 with TLR-1 as my duty gun for years. The TLR-1 is a fantastic light. I think I own a half dozen total, a combination of original models, S models, and HL models.

I frequently carry that G17 with TLR-1 IWB. I also sometimes IWB carry a G19 with TLR-1 or P320 Compact with TLR-1.

It's not as comfortable as carrying without the light, but I don't think it's that big of a hassle. A lot depends on your body shape and the holster you use. I use either a Comp-Tac CTAC, a Raven Phantom with offset IWB struts, or a JM Custom Kydex IWB #2.

I recently got an XC-1, and have started trying out one of my G19s with the XC-1. It's a bit more comfortable to carry than the TLR-1 due to its smaller size, but I'm still in testing phase and don't fully trust the light yet. (Reviews are kinda hit or miss regarding XC-1 reliability, with a number of people commenting on issues with the internal electronics being spotty during live fire, or developing parasitic battery drain.)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I carry my 32 with TLR-1 off duty IWB using a Bravo Concealment torsion holster. No issues.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a TLR1 on my P220 carry and P226 Legion SAO in a Blackpoint Tactical leather wing holster. I notice a little extra weight and bulk but not too bad. That 800 lumen TLR 1 HL is awesome. I just finished a 3 night low light instructor course with it and love this light. Wish I had this when working the street

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For IWB I'd go with XC1 or APLc.

I have carried IWB with the X300 but I don't have enough ass to keep it from pushing up while seated. Walking around it's fine, sitting it sucks.

Personally my G19 carry, Gen 4 has a XC1 on it all of the time. You don't notice any increased weight or size and in 1.5 years of carry, zero issues with it operationally.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post