SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning Hi Power Thread and Pic Request
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Hi Power Thread and Pic Request Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted
Yeah, I don't have one yet and I'm a fool for waiting not only for the damned thing to be discontinued but for the Great Gun Buying Panic of 20-21 when the prices are higher than a Baptist lady's hairdo in 1988. Despite all that, I am looking around for one and leaning towards a Mark III. Knowing this site though, and the deep knowledge base that's here, I'd love to see what you guys have done with your own Hi Powers.

I searched the forum but didn't really find any dedicated thread to this excellent and historical pistol (apologies if I missed it), so may I rather sheepishly and presumptuously refer to this as an official Hi Power thread? Thank you for your indulgence and please post your pics up!

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Unmolested 1971 C-Series Hi-Power

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of choices when it comes to Hi Powers-
Here is a post war West German police trade in, a 80’s Sport model, and a MkIII:

For everyday use, my favorite is a MkIII that has updated springs (and a SFS kit- but that is personal pref)

For some quick info on the models, pros and cons, and history check out Stephan Camp’s Hi Powers and Handguns site and BH Spring Solutions. The MkIII with the optimized springs is a pleasure to shoot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ruber,

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
1992 FM Detective hand stippled, some Cylinder & Slide parts installed. Re-blued and fitted with Craig Spegel grips.

1990 FN Browning Hi-Power MKIII (forged frame) and a slide rescued from the Jack First parts bin generated from bulk buys of law enforcement confiscations, I stippled, hand fitted the slide to frame, and installed some Cylinder & Slide parts. Frame hand polished, slide re-blued, shown here with Spegel grips and below with a set of Sarge's (The Finer Grain) prototype smooth bubinga grips.

I did all the work except bluing on both guns. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This was a rescue damaged in a flood.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
My first, a .40 that went straight to Don Williams for conversion to 9mm:

No. 2, a 9mm to .30 Luger conversion (Another worked on by Don):

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pictures yet, but I have a Capitan tangent sight model. It's still in the safe, NIB. I picked up an two-toned Arcus 94 SA model to satisfy my HP shooting crave.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
If I knew how to post photos, I would. (Don't bother tying to tell me). Mine is a '73 version, slightly molested in that the previous owner had the original sights changed out for Bomars.

One day, I'd love to send it to Jodi Gritus. She's done some beautiful work with Hi Powers.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My C-series w tangent sights

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Capitan model manufactured in 1994.This one is NIB.

Posts: 868 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Novak's worked over BHP:

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That one above is what mine looks like. Only thing I’ve done was have the mag safety removed ‘cause I hate hate hate those things. Made in Belgium assembled in Portugal. Why is that?

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruber:
For some quick info on the models, pros and cons, and history check out Stephan Camp’s Hi Powers and Handguns site and BH Spring Solutions. The MkIII with the optimized springs is a pleasure to shoot.

I actually ordered it shortly after he passed away (so sad), and read up on them. I am leaning towards a Mk III simply because of the better ergonomics and frankly, the older ones from the 50's and 60's are getting stupid expensive.

BTW, love all the images, some great BHP's here!

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have two right now: one WW2 and one post '68 (?) with the spur hammer. Both have been given the 'poor man's' trigger job by removing the magazine safety parts. A simple way to improve the trigger pull without getting carried away.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've wanted one for about 50 years after reading the book Serpico... but will probably pass since I have better looking and functioning pistols.

Nothing wrong with them as far as I know but just not high enough on my list now... but thanks for the pictures.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my favorite pistol. 1989 BHP with super sweet trigger. Fine folks at CCR gave it the Dusk treatment, after I had the slide fitted with night sights by Novak. And I just replaced the external extractor.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

that's not a Tangent sight,

I'll try to get some pics up later,

69 late serial number T series,
late 50's (likely 1958) that has had one magazine thru it, probably in 1958 (I have the box of ammo with 13 rounds missing)

an Inglis, FTR'ed at Enfield in 63 (and refinished since sadly)

and a MKIII top end with a 41 AE barrel ,
I have a few mags and some ammo with that as well, and a set of dies

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Indeed...when I saw a pic above that did have a BHP w tangent sights I realized I mis-spoke..just the regular adjustable sights...

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

that's not a Tangent sight,

I'll try to get some pics up later,

69 late serial number T series,
late 50's (likely 1958) that has had one magazine thru it, probably in 1958 (I have the box of ammo with 13 rounds missing)

an Inglis, FTR'ed at Enfield in 63 (and refinished since sadly)

and a MKIII top end with a 41 AE barrel ,
I have a few mags and some ammo with that as well, and a set of dies

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one of mine I have a photo of right now. Israeli surplus mix up, with an older slide on a T Series frame.
Great shooter though, and one of the nicer BHP triggers I’ve found.

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post