SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P938 User opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P938 User opinions Login/Join 
posted
Anybody here own this pistol for a while? Opinions?

Since day one I had issues with mine.
FTE and FTF failure rate was around 30% of fired ammo on day one.
I send it for service. Two springs were replaced and some polishing done. All took under 3 weeks took it to the range and at around 90 rounds I get a FTF but the slide is completely jammed. Zero movement.
I look at the side and slide Lock lever is out like I would be trying to take the gun apart.

I have zero personal defense trust with this gun and I'm not sure what to do next.
I don't want to sell it to somebody in a state like this and I have a feeling Sig will reply that it's all good.

On top of that my M400 Ti that I bought just few days after the P938 has a twisted handguard and I can't set irons as there's not enough room for adjustment.
I'm extremely disappointed with the quality/quality control.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a used P938 from a member here. The pistol had been to Robert Burke, The SIG Armorer.

To date, I have only had time to take the pistol to one range session, firing handholded ammunition -- 147 gr bullets with a fairly light powder load. Everything worked just as expected, maybe a bit better than expected. I am happy with the pistol.

I have also fired a P938 belonging to another member of this forum. I believe that it is totally stock, and as far as I know, the owner has never had a problem of any kind with it.

We both did an A-B test with both pistols, same ammunition in each. We agreed that mine, with the Robert Burke work, had a slightly smoother and lighter trigger. I say "slightly" -- it was enough to notice if you were looking for it, but definitely not a huge difference. I would be happy with either one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 P938' my first I've had for about 4 yrs and I liked it so much I bought another brand new one for a good price at a show. The 2nd one has a 22 LR conversion kit but the little I have fired it before the 22 kit was flawless. My first P 938 is my EDC gun when I go off. It's only had a couple hundred rounds through it but I can't remember ever having a stoppage. I know I trust it. I'd be on the phone with Sig and get this resolved. Is there a live round where it locked up? I've always gotten good service when I called Sig's CS.

I wish you the best getting this resolved.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased my P938 in 2013 and have fired 690 rounds through it of mixed ammo and all fired without a single hitch.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by danSIG:
Anybody here own this pistol for a while? Opinions?

Since day one I had issues with mine.
FTE and FTF failure rate was around 30% of fired ammo on day one.
I send it for service. Two springs were replaced and some polishing done. All took under 3 weeks took it to the range and at around 90 rounds I get a FTF but the slide is completely jammed. Zero movement.
I look at the side and slide Lock lever is out like I would be trying to take the gun apart.

I have zero personal defense trust with this gun and I'm not sure what to do next.
I don't want to sell it to somebody in a state like this and I have a feeling Sig will reply that it's all good.

On top of that my M400 Ti that I bought just few days after the P938 has a twisted handguard and I can't set irons as there's not enough room for adjustment.
I'm extremely disappointed with the quality/quality control.

I have had two P938's (Still have the second one). Bought my first one back when the original MSH was giving folks problems and there were other parts that were beind redesigned and fielded. It was hit or miss of you got a gun with the redesigned parts or one that was 100% out fo the box or one that had issues.

After the second trip back from SIG repair, I put 100 error free rounds through it and sold it. I loved the gun so much as it was prefect for me.. so easy to conceal, loved shooting it, very accurate etc.. for me it was the perfect CC gun.. except I could not trust it..

At the time I sold it I knew SIG had identified the faulty parts and so I figured I would wait a few months and buy another one when they were fielding the new parts. After 8 months I bought the one I own now.

I did have to send it in again for 3 issues at different times: 7 round mag drop, Broke extractor, and hammer getting stuck in the intercept notch. I assumed this one did not receive all the upgraded parts (Except the MSH..it was the later design). I didn't need it as I had my Defender for cc and was willing to wait for SIG to get it right.

It has been about 1200 rounds since the last repair and no issues at all. 900 Range and 300 Federal HST 147gr SP.

So basically I liked the gun so much I was willing to wait give it a second try no matter how many times I had to send it in and for me it was worth it..

Absolutely love it and now trust it.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I have two. Both have had Robert Burke’s magic done to them. I can tell you there is a difference. Before his work the triggers had a noticeably gritty feel. After they’re smooth with no take up. The ones I have were 2012 vintage and we had no issues with either, although I must say they have very stout recoil springs that take 300 or so rounds to loosen up. I wouldn’t be surprised that a new one had some feeding issues, but nothing a few hundred rounds down range wouldn’t cure.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a 938 Extreme for about 4 years now and it's worked fine me with numerous factory and reloads. The only issue I had was my grip screws became loose and I lost one. I quick call to SIG and they sent me a couple for free.

The mag.springs are tough buggers though and UpLula is your friend.

Posts: 116 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers all.
I guess I am unlucky but I decided to send it back again.
That slide release lever is hard to take off even when you want it so to find out it actually moved like this by itself is a testament of some poor design if you ask me.
Lets see what they say.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
That slide release lever is hard to take off even when you want it so to find out it actually moved like this by itself is a testament of some poor design if you ask me.
Lets see what they say.

A trick I learned, when I still had my P938, was when you get the slide catch lined up with the takedown notch, instead of pushing on the little bit that extrudes from the right side, stick a finger down in the chamber area, and push on the slide catch there. There is enough sticking into the chamber to get a good push. Also, I've read, but not experienced, about the slide catch coming out by itself being due to a bad spring (there is a little spring in a recess under the slide catch. Replacing that spring supposedly solves that problem.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Lets see what they say.

A trick I learned, when I still had my P938, was when you get the slide catch lined up with the takedown notch, instead of pushing on the little bit that extrudes from the right side, stick a finger down in the chamber area, and push on the slide catch there. There is enough sticking into the chamber to get a good push. Also, I've read, but not experienced, about the slide catch coming out by itself being due to a bad spring (there is a little spring in a recess under the slide catch. Replacing that spring supposedly solves that problem.

I really hope that the gunsmith that will check my gun will know what to look for this time.

posted Hide Post
Love mine. Just a word of caution. Be VERY careful not to strip the grip screw holes. They’re very easy to strip and there aren’t a lot of options to fix.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets see what they say.

I read this tip yesterday how to remove the slide catch by going in the opened chamber. I always used a plastic push rod which worked good.
I had to try taking my P 238 apart last night pushing it out from the opened chamber. That is the ticket it's easy to do and I don't need my plastic push rod.

While I had it apart I applied some of that Lucas Extreme grease that Sig recommended. I just got a tube of it the other day. It's awful expensive for the little in the tube.
Thanks DanSig

By the way I grew up in S.FL. It's been a long time ago though.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Mine had multiple FTE issues. Back to the factory twice. Still not reliable. I gave it away with full disclosure. Nice shooting pistol when it ran. Won't buy another.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
Had mine 18 months, carried all day every day. Put about 100 rounds through it or more a month, not a single issue.

I have the BRG version, bought new.

Posts: 1096 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
I have had mine for over a year. Never had any issues (even it being born on Friday the 13th Smile) It has worked with all types of ammo, including Russian steel cased.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the 938 and the 238. Never had a single problem! I echo all the good comments here posted. I must say that I now carry its twin brother, the Kimber Micro 9, same thing but not as boxy as the Sig p938. It is just the „barbecue gun“ version. Looks prettier, that’s all.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for around 5 yrs. I ran 100 rnds of 124gr FMJ through it first and haven't had any problems with it. Carry it everyday.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I first owned a 238 and sold it to buy a 938 with more stopping power. It ran fine, but I sent it to Robert Burke for an action job and a new Tillamook metal trigger. It shoots flawlessly. Never had a FTF, either before or after sending it to Robert.

Here is info on the Tillamook trigger. (no affiliation)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/till...ecision_trigger.html

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrandPotter
posted Hide Post
I own two 938's. One born in late 2016 and the other in early 2017. They both have run flawlessly and I have put a lot of rounds through each.

One I use as my EDC and I feel very confident carrying it.

ALL women should Conceal Carry.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it back from service and this time just the SRL was replaced. No spring or anything.

Going to shoot the crap out of it later today.
Let's hope no more sending for service will be needed.