SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Building a 1911? Anyone done it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 1911? Anyone done it? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I like tinkering projects.

Examples:
Wanted to build speakers. Soldered own crossover and build cabinets.
Wanted a AR. I blink and I've formed 1'ed 2x AR lowers.
Wanted a Suppressor. Next thing I know I've Form 1'ed and manufactured 2x suppressors.

I like the learning aspect and the research that goes into it. Plus the building/assembling myself is something I take pride in.

I'm kinda "meh" on the 1911 platform. It's okay... I'm not fanboy or a hater by any means.

That being said I've seen some 1911 kits out there that are %80 kits with jigs. Also places you just buy the serialized frame and assemble.

I think it would be a fun project to build a 9mm 1911 as a range gun. Anyone have any experience with this?

Something like this maybe: https://1911builders.com/

I've got other projects to finish first. Procure a P320RX, finish a long range AR. Then maybe this. But wanted to get some feedback from the forum.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy by the name "MosinVirus" has a 1911 build series on YouTube. He does a great job imho. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Posts: 459 | Location: ATL | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Certainly haven't built one from scratch, frame/slide etc, but my Kimber is now a Wilber lol.
Kimber frame, slide, barrel, and grip safety, with everything else fitted by me.
Wilson, EGW, and Dawson Precision parts.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it sounds like you have some fundamental skills building a 1911 is both an art and science. They don't just drop together. For optimal performance expect every part to require hand fitting. People that think they can slap together a 1911 just like they do an AR are sorely mistaken.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you specifically looking for an 80% build? I'm looking at building as well but will likely buy major parts from Caspian and fit and assemble myself.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I built a CASPIAN framed 1911 many years ago. I used COLT parts since the after market wasn't developed as it is now. For a first time build it went well. Somebody wanted it more than I did...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
While it sounds like you have some fundamental skills building a 1911 is both an art and science. They don't just drop together. For optimal performance expect every part to require hand fitting. People that think they can slap together a 1911 just like they do an AR are sorely mistaken.

Ohh I know I'll get real familiar with some files. May even break out the dremel! Eek

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Are you specifically looking for an 80% build? I'm looking at building as well but will likely buy major parts from Caspian and fit and assemble myself.

I'm not too hung up one way or another.

posted Hide Post
I recommend the Caspian or other major builders then. Also while I don't dremel, and I imagine you were joking, I do have a variable foot pedal operated rototool which works great for slowly knocking down the big stuff. Obviously file when you get close.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have built many over the years. The most recent was Thor's Hammer, a 6" longslide chambered for the 10MM Auto cartridge

This one came about because the folks at STI were doing a sale on unmarked 40 caliber 6" slides.

The frame is from Caspian and was hand fitted to the slide. The barrel is a Briley with the oversize spherical bushing. The trigger is a lightweight alloy with ball bearings in the bow for reduced friction. The rear sight is a 3 position Aristocrat so the gun can be sighted in with different ammunition or at significantly different rages. The front sight was hand made based on the rear sight's height and the trajectory of the 10MM Auto cartridge. The thumb safety and slide stop are standard. The hammer is a Wilson. I can not recall who I bought that mag release from, but I like it. The hammer strut and mainspring cap are titanium to reduce locktime. The grips were scrimshawed by Esmerelda.

This was lots of weekends and evenings, but it shoots Great. Smile

Here is a older build. It is chambered for 9x23 Winchester. It came about when Colt sold off the completely assembled top ends

Like others have mentioned, a 1911 build is not quite as easy as a AR build. Most parts will drop in and give you a GI Armory type of performance, but if you want that target gun feel things will have to be bought oversize and hand fitted.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Came out great, too - it's a tack driver.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Haven't built a 1911. Not even built an AR, Heck, I don't even have an AR...

I built a few Glocks recently. Some clones and some simpler conversions.

The ease in which parts can be had compared to just a few years ago is staggering. I'd get carried away with the 1911 thing and wind up trading a bunch of stuff off and wished I hadn't later...

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're not that into the platform, why build one? I have to be excited about something, in order to build something. I would find another gun your more excited about and modify it. However, I do LOVE my 9mm 1911's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure on what your idea of building is. You can assemble parts like an AR, or you can tool up to machine your own parts and truly manufacture. I went in-between and built an AK variant:

But you gotta be in to it for the challenge and satisfaction of doing it yourself. For the cost of parts and tooling, I could've easily bought a premade AK and a case of ammo. Of course, I ended up buying 3 more kits to build.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I haven't built from the ground up but tore a Ruger down to the frame and fitted forged replacement parts. All for the same reason you cite, I like to tinker. Great learning experience.
THE authority on 1911 is Kuhnhausen, two volumes available from many sources. The devil is in the details, fitting the barrel and setting the timing requires some work. The 1911 was designed to be field stripped by the average solder but it was designed by a genius, so fitting those easily field stripped parts takes some understanding. Best of luck.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
It is certainly doable, but it helps to have access to a Bridgeport, and a lathe.

On my last build I was stopped dead in my tracks because I needed either a surface grinder or a bridgeport to final fit the barrel.

I have retired since I built any, so no more access to machines.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've built several using Caspian, sti, and para ordnance frames. It's not difficult. I was lucky, having an excellent teacher. Go slow when removing metal. It is easier to take off than put back. I like the kart easy fit barrels.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post