SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Back up gun poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back up gun poll Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Being that I am a civilian (non LEO)I do not routinely carry a backup. I do however sometimes pocket carry a second gun, in which case it is a smaller gun with iron sights. I have not made the step up to put a RDS on any of my defensive carry guns anyway.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bug is a Hellcat with a holosun 507k on it. I can see the irons just fine if it fails but I have the dot which is very useful for shooting.

The irons do make the gun bigger, I carry it in my cargo pocket in a pocket holster so its just fine sizewise. I know a guy who ankle carries one with a Shield rds on it and its just fine too.

I fall into try it and run it if you like it camp. Lately I've seen more issues with irons vs the slide mounted optics for what its worth.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted iron sight

Basically I carry iron sights on my back up to keep it simple, small and concealable

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I say you’re only limited by your carry method.

Personally, I pocket carry my backup. I don’t think it’d fit well.

But I certainly wouldn’t poopoo someone else if it works for them.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I no longer have need to carry a BUG. But I did for decades. Reliability was the main requirement. Simplicity was 2nd. Which, helped insure reliability. Wink

Were I still working on the street today and carrying a BUG, I would NOT be mounting anything on it. Just keeping it simple. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted irons. When I think about scenarios where I'd have to use my BUG, irons would be fine.

Up close and dirty, maybe on my back or grappling, irons will be fine and their simplicity and durability have a lot of merit.

I still like the small revolver for a BUG. Despite it's limitations, it still excels in the kind of dirty, close-in fight an old dude like me could find himself in.

I agree with Clint Smith on this one.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Hell I don't want a red dot on my primary gun, much less my backup.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Based upon my experience and the experience of others I have known on the street, I expect that if a BUG is needed, it needs to be concealable, quickly and easily accessible, simple to operate (no safeties or lasers or optics), have sufficient power to get the job done, and will be used at bad breath range in a panic situation. I also want it to be the same caliber as my primary, and I need to be able to qualify with it. Once optics are integral to the slide, I would go that direction but for now iron sights.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As a citizen, non-LEO, I carry a back up 938 in a DeScantis pocket holster. I do not have RDS on my primary carry 229 either, so I am not used to it.

I don't see how the 938 would be comfortable in a pocket, or reasonably easy to draw, if there were an RDS mounted.

I've shot a pistol with RDS only once, and while it took a bit of getting used to, it sure was nice on my eyes.

I'd consider it if it worked for my carry set up.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't vote because I failed miserably on multiple tries at trying to carry a backup.

I've tried carrying a backup a few times; a P238 for a while, then gave up. Later on my G43, then gave up again. I've also given my P365 a try. Guess what...I gave up. My frame size just doesn't have enough there to make a secondary work without it all feeling bloody awkward. Somewhere in there I even tried using my NAA Guardian .380 as a backup; same rather predictable result. Carrying additional mags for my primary is already enough of an encumbrance; even here I only do the extra mags very infrequently.

But IF I could make carrying a backup work: I don't use an optic on my primary G23 so I wouldn't use an optic on a backup. However if by some miracle I finally get it with red dot pistols, then yeah I probably would try the same with the backup. But that's a lot of what ifs and maybes I've got there.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer to think of a "second pistol" rather than a back-up gun. Depending on occasion and dress, I nearly always carry a 642, G43, or P365 in my pocket.

I frequently carry a G32 in the waistband. If I'm carrying the G32, then I still have another pistol in my pocket. I don't know that I'd call the pocket pistol a "backup," as it's there regardless, and is often the only pistol. So sometimes, one, sometimes, two.

Both have iron sights.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Back when my eyes were good, I carried a BUG with iron sights and would have voted that way.

Now that my near vision is, as a friend of mine says, fucked, I need a RDS. I have several CCW pistols set up with a RDS. I will carry one as primary and one in an ankle holster, if I feel the need. I would vote this way today.

The vote depends on an individual's situation.

Some side notes:

My CCWs are P365s. Each w/ RMSc. I have not noticed any difference in concealability with the RMSc.

I didn't like red dots at first- I had to search for the dot. I adjusted my grip until the dot was in the window upon presenting the gun. I practiced obtaining that grip, when drawing, until it became second nature.

When I don't need to conceal, I have a full size pistol with a RDS, also.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a technology-based preference, but the current crop of optics do not really lend themselves that well to backup carry for me. I'm not sure that anything that is small enough is ever going to be realistic.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Since the COVID-infected zombie threat never materialized, I fell out of the habit, but I have carried a BUG (Ruger LCP). My idea of a BUG might be a little different. It is carried in my right front pocket in a Mika pocket holster. The idea is that if I'm in a suspicious but unavoidable situation (for example, a stranger purposefully approaching me), I can have what appears to be my hand casually in my pocket, but already on the gun ready to draw. Since I don't know what's up yet, I can't, at that point, sweep aside my cover garment, put my hand on my main gun and fix him with a steely gaze. Call it a "little gun to fight my way to the big gun." Since, if I have to use it, it will be at very close range where sights aren't really necessary, I don't need any extraneous sighting aids. Another use is when I wear a heavy coat (not often). A small pistol or revolver in an outer pocket is much easier to get to than digging under the coat for my waistband gun.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Since the COVID-infected zombie threat never materialized, I fell out of the habit, but I have carried a BUG (Ruger LCP). My idea of a BUG might be a little different. It is carried in my right front pocket in a Mika pocket holster. The idea is that if I'm in a suspicious but unavoidable situation (for example, a stranger purposefully approaching me), I can have what appears to have my hand casually in my pocket, but already on the gun ready to draw. Since I don't know what's up yet, I can't, at that point, sweep aside my cover garment, put my hand on my main gun and fix him with a steely gaze. Call it a "little gun to fight my way to the big gun." Since, if I have to use it, it will be at very close range where sights aren't really necessary, I don't need any extraneous sighting aids. Another use is when I wear a heavy coat (not often). A small pistol or revolver in an outer pocket is much easier to get to than digging under the coat for my waistband gun.

Exactly how I carry mine, even down to the Mika holster.

And you're right, there's nothing faster if you have good situational awareness.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I voted irons. As a civilian CCW since the early 90’s, I don’t carry a BUG very often. When I do, it’s either a Taurus Model 85 stainless in an ankle holster or a Sig P232 SL in an ankle holster.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Since the COVID-infected zombie threat never materialized, I fell out of the habit, but I have carried a BUG (Ruger LCP). My idea of a BUG might be a little different. It is carried in my right front pocket in a Mika pocket holster. The idea is that if I'm in a suspicious but unavoidable situation (for example, a stranger purposefully approaching me), I can have what appears to be my hand casually in my pocket, but already on the gun ready to draw. Since I don't know what's up yet, I can't, at that point, sweep aside my cover garment, put my hand on my main gun and fix him with a steely gaze. Call it a "little gun to fight my way to the big gun." Since, if I have to use it, it will be at very close range where sights aren't really necessary, I don't need any extraneous sighting aids. Another use is when I wear a heavy coat (not often). A small pistol or revolver in an outer pocket is much easier to get to than digging under the coat for my waistband gun.

^^^^ This is exactly what I do !

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for iron sights on a backup gun since mine is small and very concealable and I can put it in my jacket pocket. It is something meant for backup and thus reduced probability of using it so I feel an optic may be a unnecessary. Others feel differently and have trained well with optics and find them extremely helpful and thus for them that may be the best choice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seen in use so called backups from mouse guns to hand cannons never mind NY reloads. Not a bad idea to have a backup, reminds me of the AMT 380 SA Backup from the '80s. Remember a motorcycle cop I knew who carried his issued S&W service revolver on his belt empty but had a loaded Colt 45 in a shoulder holster under his leather jacket.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Back when I was policing, I carried a J-frame. I believe in KISS. I tried ankle and pocket- but I was on patrol most of my career so ankle carry won out.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post