SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is everyone really all that enthralled with the 320 series?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is everyone really all that enthralled with the 320 series? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The AXG model is more interesting to me with its alloy frame. I do wonder how well its FCU fits the new frame. Also, I still cant get warmed up to the 320 striker assembly with its mim primer poker and those darn tiny wire springs. There are a couple pieces within the FCU which seem to me beyond complex mim part design. When I see the parts disassembled I ask myself why? The FCU is a good assembly but.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone? That I truly doubt, since I don't count myself among the 'enthralled'. It's a poly gun that has an extra parlor trick, albeit a rather useful one. Damaging a "frame" (grip module) doesn't end the life of the gun. But I don't find stripping and reassembling the trigger group a particularly instinctive task to do; having a YT video as reference is something of a must for me. And all those tools that are required; talk about throwing my simplistic Glock sensibilities out of whack.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I am a P320 believer. I own many pistols and bought a Glock when they were first introduced into this country about 1986 (I still have it).

In my opinion, the P320 may be the best 9mm polymer frame pistol around. I currently own seven of them including two pre-recall models and one that I built up from parts. Many of the other brands of polymer are good guns, but where the P320 gets the nod from me is in the trigger and accuracy categories. All my P320s have been 100% reliable, even the one I built up from parts.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have/had owned several versions of the P320. My first striker fired pistol was a P320c bought at a labor day sale at Cabelas a few years ago. Being a SA/DA SIG and Beretta guy I was very impressed at how well I shot that pistol. Since then I have bought a full sized with a ROMEO 1, an X-5, an X-5 Legion that I installed a DPP on, an X-VTAC, an X-Carry w/ROMEO1 and an X-Compact, most of which I still own. They are good guns but not the first I reach for when going to the range. The ability to install a red dot is huge for those of us with aging eyes. Generally the triggers are pretty good but for some reason I get trigger sting when I shoot most of them, which takes alot of the fun out of shooting them. While I mostly reach for one of my WC or Langdon or X-Performance Berettas, or my Shadow 2 or AccuShadow 2 or classic SIG for range fun my home defense pistol is my P320F with the ROMEO1, a 21 round mag and a wml on it. It may not have the soul of an all metal gun it can get the job done very well. They all have their place in this world.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm past the point of being "enthralled" with any handgun. They are tools, and i'm not enthralled by any of my hand tools. They all have strong and weak points.

I have a 320, but only because I saw the writing on the wall and wanted to at least be familiar with what was/is a major player in the handgun market. It's a fine pistol, but then so are the vast majority of handguns produced today.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the 320.

1) the striker is an afterthought placed in what was previously the 250 so function is following form. I wonder if for example, the bore would be so high if it had been designed from the ground up to be a striker gun.

2) the chassis heating up under the frame was a weird sensation for me that I care not to continue experiencing.

3) the cost of slide/barrel assemblies (at least at the time I had my 320s) sincerely begged the question, why not just buy another gun?

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I'm happy for SIG for the P320 and winning the military contract, good for them.

I am honestly not interested in the P320/P365(or P365 XL)

Once we get P320 with alloy frame like the AXG but in Black instead of FDE I could change my mind.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I like my 320 Carry. Trigger is great and the feel is comfortable. Is it superior to all other plastic frame striker fired guns because it is a Sig? Nope.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
“Really all that enthralled … ?” could be interpreted as intended to be disdainful and dismissive about the pistol and the people who own one.
Was that seeking an opinion or offering one?

It's where SIG seems to be putting all of its handgun development and marketing. Also, in other forums, the people there think it's the new sliced bread and the second coming of Christ all rolled into one. I posed the question here and got a lot of balanced answers. So sorry to offend you.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a lot more enthralled with my 365XL than I am with any 320 I own or have owned. I’ve owned 6 or so over the years and none have been the end all polymer savior for me. The modularity is nice but none of them have been better or worse than what’s out there. I am more enthralled with all the choices in today’s market.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think it's finally started to follow through with the promise of being a modular system. The aftermarket is coming out with more and more accessories and Sig is about to give all of them a big boost of publicity when the P320 Builder is live on their website.

Sig is also scoring wins recently because the P320 is one of the few guns you can find for sale at a reasonable cost.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I think it's finally started to follow through with the promise of being a modular system. The aftermarket is coming out with more and more accessories and Sig is about to give all of them a big boost of publicity when the P320 Builder is live on their website.

Sig is also scoring wins recently because the P320 is one of the few guns you can find for sale at a reasonable cost.

So that's been one of my issues with the 320. I bought one under the modularity concept, which SIG has been unable to consistenty deliver on. SIG is perpetually sold out of something or other and is just now marketing to the after-market solutions to their availability and supply problems.

I also bought a 320 X5 Legion because of the "fantastic shootability/accuracy" hype, and while it is a very nice pistol, it doesn't perform as well as my Springfield Operator 1911 in 9 mm or any of my 3 P226s; and as I'm living in a magazine ban state, there's no capacity advantage to the X5 for me.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
[P]eople there think it's the new sliced bread and the second coming of Christ all rolled into one. So sorry to offend you.

You didn’t offend* me, but you did answer my question, albeit indirectly, so thanks.

* I notice that more and more people are resorting to the claim that others who ask questions of them were “offended” by something in a discussion. When used that way it’s becoming somewhat like “racist” in that it’s an obvious attempt to simply shut down a discussion by making it seem that the person who is accused of being offended is being unreasonable and driven by emotion in questioning an issue of fact or motive. People who are falling into the habit of using “offend” without justification in that way and for that reason should understand that it reveals more about the accuser than the person accused.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Passive-agressive bullshit, like the backhanded compliment, is what it is.

"People think it's the new sliced bread and the second coming of Christ all rolled into one."

No, the design of the pistol has nothing to do with the historical figure and religious icon Jesus Christ, nor whether he is coming or going. Nothing.

It has nothing to do with bread, slices, or the manufacture, production, or even division of baked goods.

The insinuation, however, is that people who like the P320 are idiots.

I happen to like the P320. When my kids shot them, they liked them, and I gave each a P320. I shoot them for competition. I carry the smaller P365. I continue to purchase them, and parts for them. I think it's a good design, shoots well, has a great trigger, is ergonomic and comfortable, and will be around a long time. Nothing to do with bread. It doesn't float. I don't expect Christ to tap me on the shoulder and ask if he can fire a few rounds to try it out, not a first, second, or third time. But it's a good design.

A friend was kind enough to let me shoot one, while attending Jerry Jones MOAC course a few years ago. I'd never heard of the P320 at that point. The friend broke it down quickly, demonstrated the modular aspect. I shot it on steel for time and accuracy. It was light (great for carry), easy to handle, and had a trigger equal to my. Walther PPQ's. That was pre-"upgrade."
Ultimately I bought some and was able to shoot pre-"upgrade" and post-"upgrade" side by side, and I liked them both; I was quite happy to get the "upgrades" done. Mine all finished now.

When the X-grip modules came out, I was impressed, and switched everything to that, and when Wilson Combat came out with their grip module, I switched a number of them to the Wilson grip. I ran one the next day in an IDPA match, and loved it.

No bread was sliced in any of that process, and Jesus didn't show up for the match, not even a second time.

Does this bother you, original poster?

Sig is putting a lot into the P320 line because it sells really well, to civilians, law enforcement (domestically and abroad), and of course the military.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm not enthralled by the P320. Not at all. In fact, I've never been enthralled by any firearms. Enthralled? That's a weird term, when talking about guns.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oh, someone out there's warped enough to consider themselves the mindless slave of an inanimate object. There's always a certain charm in giving up responsibility.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
There's always a certain charm in giving up responsibility.

That's exactly what my wife said that first christmas when I unwarapped the heavy, flat package with the wooden paddle, with all the holes in it. You know my wife?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I do not have that honor, no.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
For me the 320 did not peak my interest at first. I own SiG, Glock, HK, Springfield, and Colt pistols. I now own a P320 XCompact and a P365 running the XL grip module.

I like the ability to change modules to suit the current need. I just ordered a P365XL w/manual safety module and Manual Safety Kit to try on my P365. In the past that would have required two guns, but for roughly $100 it is doable. I tried the Wilson Combat module on my XCompact, but prefer the factory module. As stated before, there are so many great choices today for tools for the Toolbelt, we all can explore what works best for US!

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Passive-agressive bullshit, like the backhanded compliment, is what it is.

"People think it's the new sliced bread and the second coming of Christ all rolled into one."

No, the design of the pistol has nothing to do with the historical figure and religious icon Jesus Christ, nor whether he is coming or going. Nothing.

It has nothing to do with bread, slices, or the manufacture, production, or even division of baked goods.

The insinuation, however, is that people who like the P320 are idiots.

I happen to like the P320. When my kids shot them, they liked them, and I gave each a P320. I shoot them for competition. I carry the smaller P365. I continue to purchase them, and parts for them. I think it's a good design, shoots well, has a great trigger, is ergonomic and comfortable, and will be around a long time. Nothing to do with bread. It doesn't float. I don't expect Christ to tap me on the shoulder and ask if he can fire a few rounds to try it out, not a first, second, or third time. But it's a good design.

A friend was kind enough to let me shoot one, while attending Jerry Jones MOAC course a few years ago. I'd never heard of the P320 at that point. The friend broke it down quickly, demonstrated the modular aspect. I shot it on steel for time and accuracy. It was light (great for carry), easy to handle, and had a trigger equal to my. Walther PPQ's. That was pre-"upgrade."
Ultimately I bought some and was able to shoot pre-"upgrade" and post-"upgrade" side by side, and I liked them both; I was quite happy to get the "upgrades" done. Mine all finished now.

When the X-grip modules came out, I was impressed, and switched everything to that, and when Wilson Combat came out with their grip module, I switched a number of them to the Wilson grip. I ran one the next day in an IDPA match, and loved it.

No bread was sliced in any of that process, and Jesus didn't show up for the match, not even a second time.

Does this bother you, original poster?

Sig is putting a lot into the P320 line because it sells really well, to civilians, law enforcement (domestically and abroad), and of course the military.

It doesn't bother me in the least. But it clearly bothers you. There is no insinuation but what you chose to read into it. I'm truly sorry I didn't package the question suitably for you.