New
Find
Notify
Tools

My BHP Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
So I picked this up last year but then came the photobucket mess so I never uploaded pics.

While not much to look at it shoots very well.

I sent (actually drove it there...worth it if you are close) to The Action Works. Mr. Williams runs a one man shop, very clean and well organized. Mr. Williams himself was great, he was a wealth of information and very nice.

It started out as a mid nineties MK2- ish pistol, not sure where it came from as it was a gift to my wife from my best friend.

Now on to the BHP, I was looking to just make the pistol more user friendly, it already shot well but hey....you know how it goes.

Upgrades;
- Novak rear sights with U notch cut
- Novak front with gold bead
- Mag safety removed
- Larger custom strong side safety
- Crowned barrel
- Garthwaite straight trigger
- Carry trigger job (~4.5-5lb)

I did not refinish it as I think it looks better as it is. I can't remember who made the grips.

Anyway it handles like a dream, I need to get a higher rear sight as it shoots low for me...which is normal.

Sorry for the crappy pics...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
How long was it in the shop?

I’m also going to get the Garthwaite parts. How do you like them?

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I think those might be Navidrex grips.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have two Hi Powers. A circa 2013 Browning MkIII that I carry in the winter and an Israeli surplus MkIII I picked up last summer as a project gun.

They are just so comfortably slim. Not to mention accurate and reliable. I carry the Browning in an R. Grizzle T&C2 and with a 15 round Mec-Gar it's like it's not even there.

So far on my surplus one I have replaced all of the springs, installed a EGW hard sear and C&S ring hammer, removed the mag safety, and put on a set of Navidrex slim grips. Next is to send the slide to Novak for sights and then decide if I want to get it blued or maybe even hard chromed (currenlty parkerized).

Congrats!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about "The Action Works" and Don Williams. I took two of my HPs to him and had him do his "magic" to them. NOW, they are perfect!!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:
How long was it in the shop?

I’m also going to get the Garthwaite parts. How do you like them?

About 9 months, so far I like tge trigger not sure how much it effects the pull but ut feels better.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I think those might be Navidrex grips.

I think you're right, the slim ones....very good grip without being overly rough.

posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned a lot of Hi Powers over the years, only one I have left is the one I sent to Don Williams at Action Works for a trigger job.
It's a keeper.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Nice when one customizes them to your exact wants and needs.

I have one BHP left, my 1980's era gun that was sent to NOVAKS for sights, trigger, etc.

Saw that some Turkish company is bringing in HP clones now, one is stainless. Tempted to look into them as they seem well made and they are reasonably priced.

Good Luck with yours.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
Looks just fine to me, a solid working gun with “experience”, especially considering the work was done by DW. Discussing a project with him is downright enlightening plus he’s a just plain nice guy as well as an exceptionally talented craftsman.

If I may though, re; "mid nineties MK2-ish": Perhaps one or the other, but it can't be both. If it's "mid nineties" it's a MkIII based pistol...period, MkII production ended in '89. The SN will date the pistol; the pair of letters between the 245 prefix and the actual SN are the date code.

Z = 1, Y = 2, X = 3, W = 4, V = 5, T = 6, R = 7, P = 8, N = 9, M = 0…245PVXXXXX = ‘85/245NVXXXXX = ‘95

Novak sights are always a great choice for the BHP, they're my preferred aftermarket BHP…and 1911 sights. To each their own but; the U notch is my “least favorite” variation…I do have one BHP equipped that way. MY personal favorite is the plain black conventionally cut wide notch...go figure. I even had DW wide notch the BoMar he did for me. The gold bead is a nice touch as well.

WADR, your grips don't look anything like my Navidrex grips...I've got 8/10 pair, they DO look much more like VZ Diamond Backs…which are pretty thin themselves.

Navidrex

VZ Diamond Backs

Congrats on a fine BHP…..

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
dewhorse, Your Hi Power certainly came out well, as I would expect from Don Williams. Don has done some sight and other work for me on Hi Powers and 1911s. I've visited with him at his shop 3 or 4 times. He was always very generous with his time.

BTW, as submoa mentioned, those don't look like Navidrex to me either, I have a pair. They look more like VZ, or similar, to me too.....ymmv

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of material is "Navidrex"? Those grips are beautiful.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the grip clarification......I wanted to to find the now discontinued uncle mikes Spegel grips but could not find them.

Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
They're black Micarta.

Brownell's calls it "Westinghouse Micarta" Wink...

https://www.brownells.com/hand...-grips-prod9563.aspx

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
Hey Rock Wink...

You are most welcome dewhorse Smile...

The Uncle Mike's Spegel rubbers are another great choice...though their owners seem to REALLY like 'em when comes time to sell 'em Wink...

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I shouldn’t have opened this thread. Nice. The best feeling pistol to me has always been the BHP.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best feeling pistol to me has always been the BHP.
Yep, I'll 2nd that. I currently have two, a Practical (chrome frame & black epoxy'd slide) & and a beautifully blued .40. Both are accurate (~2" gps at 25 yds), and an absolute joy to shoot. My first HP was a well worn fixed sight model that spent most of it's time in a 'tanker' chest rig while I flew the Bird Dog O-1E, (L-19) in Vietnam. Loved that old gun...would give a lot to see her again... Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Don does rather nice work. I have one with him now having a .30 Luger barrel fitted as well as some other mods.

My other HP that he did for me:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...830019724#6830019724

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel sure you will enjoy your BHP with a 30 Luger barrel. A few of years ago I had Bar-Sto build me some(3) 30 luger barrels, and one was for one of my BHP. I fitted it, and it works like a charm!! What a fun gun to shoot. I am a handloader, so I can shoot it for cheap as long as I gather up my brass.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post