SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P230 SL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230 SL Login/Join 
posted
Hi all I have a question about a 230 sl my local place has 2 of them 1 magazine and no boxes .1 looks to be older a JD date the other is a KH date both are 475 each only the newer one has a sig magazine the other is unmarked both are in very nice shape
Looking for some advice if it's worth it at that price thanks in advance

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
That's low market. As for which to get, mags are about $50/ea for factory and the matching stainless/nickel ones being more still.

I prefer older ones but to me, the one in nicer condition would dictate purchase. Being stainless steel, it's easy to polish out light scratches anywhere on the gun so normal wear and tear isn't a big deal but look for any major gouges or deep scratches that can't be polished out.

Lastly, a look inside the gun with the slide off is warranted just to look for any major issues. These are easy to clean, yet, people don't for some reason. Beware the slide lock spring if you do take the slide off....easily lost as it can pop out and one of the harder things to find OEM replacements of for that reason. Guy on that big E auction site selling replacements...yeah, they're not. Sure, in a pinch but they're not drop-in.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would the magazine be the same maybe I can convince him to switch the mags lol I do like the older one being a west german model to match my other Sig's .thanks for the input I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over paying .

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
same mags for P232 or P230 variants. There are different iterations of mags but all are interchangeable.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a deposit down on the west german one I was able to switch the mag for the sig marked one .took it apart and everything looked very clean inside looking forward to picking it up in a few weeks .

posted Hide Post
I got my P230SL for $375, but it was a police turn-in, so it had some wear. $475 is very reasonable for a good condition.

Took some careful file strokes and then oiled fine sandpaper to get the flats back to the brushed look. I may still blast the whole thing and then re-sand at some point in the future.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
Mec Gar Bersa Thunder 8rd 380 magazines are easily modified to function flawlessly in a SIG P230/232.

Mec Gar Bersa Thunder magazine modification-
dis-assemble mag
scribe a line in aft end from slide notch down approximately @ 3.610" approximately .060" from base of mag body.
Cut/Grind a step to scribed line.
Bevel the base plate for 100% mag latch engagement.
Re-assemble
Enjoy the extra round capacity in your P230/232 380 ACP/9mmKurz.

This is a great tip. Thanks so much for that.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on acquiring what I think is the best looking semi-auto pistol ever made.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
At 475 I would have bought both.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on changing any springs if I can find them ?

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It's a blow-back pistol design, so I'd track down a replacement Recoil Spring at minimum. Wink

Regarding the Magazine(s), SIG seemed to change the stamped markings and witness hole type/locations on their OEM Mags at various times early on, and even up thru the late 90's on some Pistols (more so early on), so it's possible the unmarked Mag (maybe it had a hidden 'Triple-S SIG Tri-Skelion' on it somewhere) was the original/correct Mag for a 'JD' P230 SL.

Here's couple of links to info re: original 'JD' P230 Pistols. Note the slotted Mag body, the closer/narrower Slide Serrations, and the Tysons Corner-VA 'non-stamped type rollmark'/import mark.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...601935/m/1290026724/

https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=21092059

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
You can get slide catch springs and triggerbar springs from Matrix Precision. Wolf might have the recoil springs .

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
That's low market. As for which to get, mags are about $50/ea for factory and the matching stainless/nickel ones being more still.

I prefer older ones but to me, the one in nicer condition would dictate purchase. Being stainless steel, it's easy to polish out light scratches anywhere on the gun so normal wear and tear isn't a big deal but look for any major gouges or deep scratches that can't be polished out.

Lastly, a look inside the gun with the slide off is warranted just to look for any major issues. These are easy to clean, yet, people don't for some reason. Beware the slide lock spring if you do take the slide off....easily lost as it can pop out and one of the harder things to find OEM replacements of for that reason. Guy on that big E auction site selling replacements...yeah, they're not. Sure, in a pinch but they're not drop-in.

I'm curious why you prefer the older ones?

Is there something about the older ones you feel was better?

I'm a fan of these guns and will pick one up when the opportunity presents itself.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the magazine I will check it out when I go back to the store . As far as why I chose the older one was I wanted the west german one to match all my other west german ones I don't think one is better than the other .

posted Hide Post
Actually when I think about it the magazine that didn't have sig marked on it was a zipper back so I don't know if that means anything ?

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the zippered back mags are Sig's. I think all mine are zippered.... the two that came with the P230 I won here on the forum zippered.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the gun today and switched the mag to the early style with the long slotted holes it is a zipper back and matches ones I saw online with the same JD date so I'm pretty sure it's original . looking forward to try it out tomorrow thanks for all the information

posted Hide Post
Hi all went to the range today first time shooting a 230 . It shoots really nice only hiccup I had was 1 of the last rounds didn't load it locked open like the last round was shot . After I fixed it it seemed to be ok otherwise it was great . Thanks again for all the info the last few weeks

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Unless you are shooting and crawling through a dusty environment... oil is your friend... you probably know this.

In my limited experience Sigs will run all day long dry but I still like to keep them lubed up.

I've never been one to have safe queens.. but I did end up with one this Summer...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted October 06, 2020

I'm pretty sure you got some of the nickel ones that were on sale a year or two ago. I forget the cost, like $30 each or something. I bought a half dozen at the time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post