SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P229, the DA/SA G19... Video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229, the DA/SA G19... Video Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
Well, I have to admit it. I don't listen that well. A long time ago I took a Practical Fundamentals course by Operation Specific Training out in Piru, CA. During that class I was using a M&P .40 FS. Jerry Jones walked over to me and said "You should really consider a 228/229 platform." Well, fast forward years later to 2017, I acquired a Sig P229 this one happens to be a Legion. Now, before I forget let me list what work has been done to this pistol.

X-ray sights gone! Replaced with Trijicon HD XR's - every bit as good a fiber optic at this point. I like the standard HD's but they were limited at distance. You can see I had ZERO issues at distance with the XR's. They are the cat's meow.
Legion grips gone! Replaced with E2 style - allows me to get positive slide releases.
Stock hammer spring gone! Replaced with a 17lb hammer spring - DA drop to 7.5 lbs
I used some Lucas metal polish and hit the hammer strut on the surfaces that contact the hammer.

That is it. I had to keep telling myself this pistol is a G19 size, but not once did I feel like it was not enough gun to compete with while the hammer was dropping. With minimal work I'd also have to say..... this gun is easily surpassing my 92's.... (time will tell)

I have to plug and also state I'm affiliated with Operation Specific Training and I'm very proud of that. Truth be told Jerry Jones is a friend and mentor, but I know without his teachings.... I wouldn't be were I'm at today as a shooter. I've taken a ton of training and the fact remains the sustainable teachings of Jerry Jones (OPSPEC) are referenced constantly and they are the basis for everything I do. Without it, all the advanced training from everywhere else would be useless. Guys, if you get the opportunity to train with Jerry Jones, don't let it pass you by. The path he will put you on leads to success as a shooter.
I'm not just pulling the trigger, there is a subconscious level of fundamentals happening.

Full video link

Enjoy, but please consider getting some quality training and apply the fundamentals on demand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: piedrarc,

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I run a P229 or SP2022 in 3-gun. Not nearly as well as you, but I love em.

Not so sure about the RSO on stage 1 there.

Nice shooting!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha, just watched it on youtube. Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. The 229. A Glock 19 with a soul....

Thanks for the kind words, buddy. (Guess instead of buying another 226 Legion, I now need to get a 229)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would argue the HK P2000 is the DA/SA G19/23.

That being said I would argue that the SIG P229 is just awesome. Smile

In .40 caliber especially the P229 with that caliber is a match made in heaven. It is diametrically opposed to the Glock 23. It is comfortable, shootable, enjoyable and just plain the perfect platform for that caliber.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Man, can you run a 229! Awesome shooting!

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I sure do enjoy watching your videos; nice shooting!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It's about time we got to see you with a Sig Ray. Think you will ever try the P226 and, would the slightly longer sight radius slow you down a bit? I asked because I am inclined to think the shorter radius is quicker but maybe just a tad less accurate? Great shooting sir.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Great shooting and a pleasure watching, as always.

I recall Mr. Jones referring to you as the "Beretta Whisperer" in a previous post.

It seems he will have to come up with an additional name based on the the way you run that P229 Legion. Wink

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I was 2nd place out of all the production shooters. I'll take 1st loser to Max Leograndis any day. He's a straight badass.

I honestly had no intentions on being competitive with the 229. I'm not a fan of the X-ray sights and I replaced them with the HD XR's. I laser bore sighted the pistol and loaded up a mix of 124 Blazer FMJ factory, 147 reloads and 135 reloads. After the first stage, I was like "Damn, this is legit." Stage after stage I was beginning to kick myself for not entertaining this gun along time ago. In my hands the 229 actually tracks better. Looking at this from a defensive perspective, I'm taking steps right now to replace my M&P 9c with the 229. I almost pulled the trigger on a Beretta PX4 Compact, which I'm sure would have served me well, but the 229 has made a huge impression on me.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Great shooting! Great P229!

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I had told myself I had no use for a Legion of any sort other than a 220, but you're making me want a 229 9mm. I mean, I have a bunch of 228 mags, so why not, right?

Can you tell me if you need the full E2 grip "kit" for the Legion, or can you just use the grips themselves and not muck with the hammer strut?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Very nice! I had told myself I had no use for a Legion of any sort other than a 220, but you're making me want a 229 9mm. I mean, I have a bunch of 228 mags, so why not, right?

Can you tell me if you need the full E2 grip "kit" for the Legion, or can you just use the grips themselves and not muck with the hammer strut?

Go for it!

The Legion already has the E2 strut installed, no need to swap it out.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

posted Hide Post
I love my 229-1. I keep trying to replace it but keep coming back to it. From concealed I shoot it better than anything.

I have a 226 Legion that I've made a couple changes to. I don't honestly give much up with the 229. Reloads are a smidge faster and more consistent with the 226. I'm also a tad faster and more accurate on longer shots. It takes several runs to really see a big difference though.

You owe it to yourself to try the 226. The more I shoot it the more I like it. But for concealed carry the 229 is the best thing out there for me.

Posts: 166 | Registered: February 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 legion as well. Very good gun, but I do enjoy the 229
more at this point.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click