SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For a long time SA only pistol user, which is the best to move to: DAO, SA/DA, Striker?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For a long time SA only pistol user, which is the best to move to: DAO, SA/DA, Striker? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Over the years I've always owned and shot SA semi-auto pistols, mostly JMB designs (save a 1986 Taurus PT99AF DA/SA which I always shot SA at the range, and a KelTec P-11 DAO whose trigger I hated and no longer have).

Was discussing this issue with some friends and am curious what the group here recommends at the best trigger style as an alternative for a long time SA user. What say you?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Striker

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say it depends on manufacturer. For example, the Sig P320 has a great trigger,not as smooth as a sa pistol like a 1911 but similar in length of pull. A lem pistol has a smooth but long trigger pull but so does the striker pistols but has no hammer. The trigger pull on both a lem and striker are long. Of course the best option is to go to a gun store and try them yourself.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Best? Can’t say because that is subjective.

Easiest is probably go to a striker as it is closest to what you are used to.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough question. I like them all but will be keeping an eye on this thread. One opinion would be that Taurus 92 you mentioned as you could carry it safely either SA or use the decocker to carry it DA Sounds like you've been shooting for awhile I'm sure you won't have any problems transitioning with whatever you choose.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure to get flamed over this response, but this is what's true for me-it doesn't matter. I learned to shoot on a DAO revolver. Anything else seems smooth and light to me. I'd say shoot a bunch of different guns and buy what works best for you.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to kinda piggyback on Fredward.

The best for you to be a better shooter is DAO. DA/SA is next, but you'll have to deliberately practice the DA. But you've already said you skip right to SA at the range.

The most similar to a SAO will be striker.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's going to be used as a range gun, then a striker my be the way to go. It can also be used for self defense purposes but some prefer hammer fired DAO or DA/SA guns. You can achieve the same effect of an SA gun with a DA/SA gun which has a safety and can be used or carried cocked and locked. An HK USP Variation 1 is a good example of such a pistol. Try them all to see which fits and works best for you.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something that is consistent shot to shot is probably best. So that would be a striker fired pistol or maybe light double action. There are so many striker pistols out there now you can probably find one you like - Glock, Sig, S&W M&P, XD, CZ, HK, FN, Walter, FN, etc. LDA is less common. Comes down to length of travel and weight - which is most important to you?

If you are used to having a thumb safety, are you comfortable with a pistol with no safety? S&W M&P can have a thumb safety.

I'm OK with SA, DA/SA, and Striker, but I don't like DAO, except on a revolver (J-frame Centenntials for me). HK P30's and CZ 75's are an interesting option because some of them allow DA/SA or SA with safety (cocked and locked). So you can try different carry modes and choose what you like. My HK P30s's can be carried DA/SA hammer down with safety on or off, or cocked and locked SA safety on. Very versatile.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like a striker with a trigger reach suitable for my hands would be the best type to look at as the consensus here is that it is closest to my SA roots. The Sig P320 and Walther PPQ M2 4" immediately surface as pieces to check out. There may be others such as the Springfield XDs.

As an aside I didn't mention that I also shoot my two revolvers SA at the range. Smile Main reason is that my trigger finger on my strong side hand is >1/4" shorter than mine on my weak hand. Frown Makes the trigger reach more cumbersome / problematic with less than ideal finger pad placement / web of the hand grip for DA shooting.

For the last few decades it's been 1911 Commander and CCO models (with short or at worse medium length triggers) along with a "chopped" Hi-Power for prime CCW carry with a more recent P238 as a BUG.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you were in our area, the answer would be, "Let's get together. Everybody bring a bunch of different guns, and let bald1 try them all to see what he likes best."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you were in our area, the answer would be, "Let's get together. Everybody bring a bunch of different guns, and let bald1 try them all to see what he likes best."

Appreciate the thought! Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Given your experience, go striker.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a long time SA only pistol user, which is the best to move to: DAO, SA/DA, Striker?

What RHINO said.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
We need a Hudson H 9 Beta Tester!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely striker given your shorter trigger finger. W/o that issue, I'd say DA/SA as the best of both worlds. Master the DA shot and be a much better shooter, still has the simplicity of no safety and a nice SA pull for the rest of the magazine.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are happy with single action why change at all? I have a number of old school 1911 friends that struggle with strikers. I tell them accept you are an old dog no new tricks

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I have a different suggestion. You like and are very familiar with SAO pistols, so why not go with a DA/SA? It's just the first long DA pull that you need to "deal" with and then you're back on easy street. The first DA pull is not to be feared. In fact, it's a benefit. See these videos:

Fear Not the Double Action Shot - Part 1
Fear Not the Double Action Shot - Part 2
Fear Not the Double Action Shot - Part 3

I think of operating a DA/SA this way:

1. On the draw, I'm consistently pulling thru the DA trigger on the press out until it goes bang just before full arm extension.
2. Once there, it's all easy SA followup shots until you've chosen to stop firing.
3. When the sights come of target, decock the pistol as you go back to the ready position (and eventually holster).

It's really that simple: DA on the press out and first shot, lots of SA followup shots, decock when going back to ready position.

Good luck.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
If you are happy with single action why change at all? I have a number of old school 1911 friends that struggle with strikers. I tell them accept you are an old dog no new tricks

Only reason I'm looking at this is the prospect of a more compact, lighter, higher capacity CCW.
And you may very well be right as my only experience was years and years ago when Glock was new... saying it was unsatisfactory and a turn off would be a gross understatement.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
... why not go with a DA/SA?

Apparently you missed what Strambo and others "got." My short trigger finger doesn't work with a proper grip for long DAO or DA/SA pulls period.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with DA/SA, small hands. I tried for several years to make it work but finally sold all my DA/SA Sigs (although I was able to manage the P239 well enough, but it's a single stack and fairly heavy for the capacity). I wound up going with a Springfield XD-M compact, 13rd 9mm, and it's worked out pretty well. I still prefer a 1911 in .45, but they're just too damn heavy to carry unless I wear suspenders along with the belt.

I did have an SAO Sig P220 for a while. It was a nice gun and was easy enough for me to shoot. But the trigger pull was heavier and a bit longer than a 1911, so it didn't offer any advantage over my Dan Wesson.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post