SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me choose a revolver
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose a revolver Login/Join 
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted
I know very little about revolvers except for the fact that, inexplicably, I shoot them MUCH better than I do semi-autos. Here's what I know:

I'm going to use it for frequent road trips, and days on the boat. So I want it to be stainless with a rubber grip.

Different threads over time on this board have me uninterested in any thing made by Taurus

I think I want a .357 so I can practice with .38 rounds and carry the .357. My buddy let me shoot an airweight 357, and I handed it back after just one shot. I'll pass on the misery. But I had great fun shooting his .500. Go figure...

It needn't fit in a pocket, but I don't need accuracy at a distance - I'm thinking 3-4"

I have no idea what how S&W's lock works, but know that I've never ready anyone here speak highly of it.

I would enjoy shooting a sa/da gun a lot more, but if it's going on the boat, I can't help but to wonder if a hammerless model is smarter. It's not going to be on my body, and it's going to be carried on and off every time- so the safety of hammerless, and a heavier trigger, while less fun to shoot, might make it more appropriate for the intended use.

I'm going to research based on those parameters. If you all have a notion to steer me away from this and towards that, I'd appreciate the input.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson model 360..

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101 if a 5-shot is good. If you want/need the 6th round, try to find a stainless Ruger Speed/Security/Service 6.

They're built like tanks, and you can always use them as an anchor if need be.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3” adjustable sight model 60 in 357. Had one of the performance center models with the lock a solid gun and no issues with lock. Very accurate for a small frame. If you want six shots go for a k frame ( 65 for fixed sights 66 for adjustable) but these are incredibly hard to find in 3” barrels 4” much easier to find and in these models you can go for an older non lock model used if you

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the money either a Ruger or S&W revolver of some sort. Rugers are built like tanks and my wife loves her SP101. Although it is only a .38 it is a nice gun. To me, the da trigger is something to be desired though, at least with the factory trigger pull without trigger job. The GP100 is a bargain of a gun. I prefer the cylinder latch more on the Ruger pistols, the button type. S&W revolvers,in my opinion, have an amazing trigger right out of the box. Very smooth. I had a 629 when I was first able to buy a handgun. It was huge but the trigger pull was buttery smooth. A 586 or 686 is also a nice gun and S&W makes aluminum framed revolvers as well. I had one of the "Mountain" guns in 357. It was light and recoil was a bit sharper than the steel version but that goes without saying. Both makes come with rubber grips and their are numerous companies making parts for pretty much all models.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson 686 pre-lock with a 4-inch barrel. Unequivocally the best production revolver ever made, IMHO. Since its for off-body, I wouldn't worry about compactness or the hammer.

Not knocking Ruger or Colt, but the 686 has an unmatched track record in the field and with LE before the "big switch." L-frame, superbly accurate, tons of aftermarket support, holsters abound, good triggers out of the box, well-balanced, and handles .357 Magnum recoil easily. Simply the best.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Another vote for SP101 if you want a traditional revolver. I, instead, use a Chiappa 2” Rhino. 357 feels like shooting 38 and 38 feels like shooting a 22. Bottom barrel works extremely well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP-101 3" or 4", or a GP-100 4".

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Since it isn't strictly for CCW, I would Recommend a Ruger GP 100 or S&W 686 or 686+ (7 shot). My favorite is a 3", but second favorite is 4".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would get the new Ruger SP101 9mm revolver, Stainless, rubber grip, cheaper ammo, still packs a punch.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a three inch Ruger SP101, but I'd highly recommend the .327 Mag. If you wish to have a bigger revolver, there are some interesting options out there.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP 100, 4 inch, stainless.

Absolutely the perfect revolver for utility use. It's a bit big to conceal, but that isn't an issue for your intended use.

No need to worry about hammerless with a modern DA revolver. The S&W have a hammer block, and the Ruger's have a transfer bar. There is no need to carry hammer down on an empty chamber or anything like that. They simply wont fire unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear, either removing the hammer block or engaging the transfer bar. The nice thing about this is you always have all chambers loaded, you can thumb cock the hammer for careful aimed fire, or pull the trigger through for quicker action.

I have a GP 100 and a Smith 19. The Smith is a "finer" gun. Smaller, lighter, more refined design, only slightly better trigger. The Ruger is tougher, larger, heavier and simply all around more rugged. I take the Smith to the range. I take the Ruger to the woods.

I also find that with heavy loads, the Ruger grip shape is more comfortable in my hands than the Smith shape. This holds true for my .44 revolvers as well. I have a Redhawk from Ruger and a 629 from Smith. The Ruger is more comfortable with heavy loads.

Either a Smith 686 or a Ruger GP 100 will serve you well, but for utility and price, I think the Ruger is by far the better deal. If you would ever want pocket carry, drop down to the Smith 60 / Ruger SP 101; both are 5 shot in .357 magnum, and both are nice revolvers. I have big hands, and prefer the larger frames, however.

Ruger GP 100:

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a snubnose for CCW, consider KIMBER with six rounds .38spl/.357mag, internal hammer, rounded edges, stainless construction, night sights, narrowed cylinder design, smooth dao trigger, 23 oz, 2" or 3" barrel. Built like a little tank (but is not inexpensive).

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver

I have the "DC" with the black DLC finish.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W short barrel Airweight is my choice for extended travel. .38 special hollow point ammo.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
If you're looking for a snubnose for CCW, consider KIMBER with six rounds .38spl/.357mag, internal hammer, rounded edges, stainless construction, night sights, narrowed cylinder design, smooth dao trigger, 23 oz, 2" or 3" barrel. Built like a little tank (but is not inexpensive).

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver

I have the "DC" with the black DLC finish.

Wow! Those look nice.

While you say they're "not inexpensive," from what I've seen, the S&W revolvers are quite pricey, too. I think given the choice, I would pay the little bit extra for the Kimber.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta go with Jbourne on this one. 4" Smith model 686 plus. I have said before its the gun i would choose if they said we could keep one. The only thing i think it does not excel at is concealment, and according to the specs that is not an issue.
Hunting with .357, Defense with .357/or a .38+ P, plinking with .38, can hit targets at 100 yds., etc.. etc.. there is nothing it cannot do

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Another Ruger fan here. I have both the SP101 2" and the GP100 4". I love both and they are tanks. I've never carried the GP but the SP was very comfortable when I carried it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 4" S+W 686 would be my first choice. A S+W model 66 or ruger GP100 wouldn't be bad choices either. Handle all of them and see what feels the best.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101 or GP100

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post