SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me choose a revolver
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose a revolver Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
consider a model 65 with a three inch barrel, or the model 66. The 66 has adjustable sights and a full ejector shroud. The 65 has fixed sights, and an exposed ejector rod. Otherwise, same gun, but 3" 66s are hard to find. not so three inch 65s. They are a bunch lighter than the Rugers. Not hard to find 65s and 66s on the used market.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My first several revolvers were Smith and Wesson. They all had the ILS and they were all fine guns. I always liked the looks of Ruger better (I know that is rare) but always thought Smith was the better name. When Ruger released the SP101 in .327 Fed Mag I picked one up and fell in love with Ruger for more than the looks. I have bought Smith revolvers since my first Ruger, but never when there is a Ruger alternative. Which they have expanded the line to the point now that for almost every offering Smith has, Ruger has something similar.

Ruger, in my limited experience and opinion, is the better value for the dollar. If I was getting a gun for serious purposes it would almost certainly be a Ruger. If I was getting one more as a range toy and as something cool there are a ton of older Smith and Wesson revolvers I would love to own. Nothing in their current lineup though.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Rugers also.
I have the SP 101 for CCW, also have a Security Six(very accurate) and a KGP 161 also accurate.

Had two of them for over 10 years and the Security Six is one I got from my dad, he had it for a long long time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not entirely appropriate, because the OP wanted stainless. But still....

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4160021344

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
I saw that. Beautiful piece. I was glad to see the pic of it across his hand. A 3" version is larger than I thought. (I mean that as a positive).

Were it SS, would be perfect for me.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
consider a model 65 with a three inch barrel, or the model 66. The 66 has adjustable sights and a full ejector shroud. The 65 has fixed sights, and an exposed ejector rod. Otherwise, same gun, but 3" 66s are hard to find. not so three inch 65s. They are a bunch lighter than the Rugers. Not hard to find 65s and 66s on the used market.

I was about to write essentially the same thing. I would, however, add a 640-1 to the list if I were thinking about concealed carry. The 3" 65 is my favorite revolver to shoot.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
And we haven't even STARTED talking about Single Action Revolvers yet!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took my son shooting the other day with the SP101 and must say, it is quite different than what I remember it being like. We both shot amazing with it and the trigger pull is not as bad as I remembered.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101 -3” barrel. Replace the hammer spring with a Wolff 12#, easy to carry & easy to shoot. can’t go wrong Wink

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Here's my vote, a Ruger Speed-Six, stainless with rubber grips... built like a tank!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own Ruger and S&W. Like both, but if pressed to choose, I'd carry the Ruger.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 686, hands down. Get a 2” or 3” barrel. Perfect for carrying and also very accurate out past 25 yards.

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post