SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    229 Sig Mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 Sig Mags Login/Join 
posted
Have a bunch of 229 mags and am wondering which are considered the best? Some are polished and say Italy LEO only and are 12 round and the others are phosphate coated and zipper back, also 12 rounds. All mags say Sig on them,Looking to sell a P229 and rather not sell away what may be my best mags.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
As long as they have "Made In Italy" stamped on them which is "Made by Mec-Gar I am happy and personally prefer the phosphate finish over the blued.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think functionally they are all the same. Me personally I'd ditch the LEO marked ones as I hate that stamp.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Zipper-back & dovetail-back mags are vintage and were made in Germany. They have long been out of production and appeal to those w/ old Sigs who prefer period-correct mags.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my Sig from a police supply store and LEO mags were the only show in town at the time, latter on factory fresh mag could then be found.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think the phosphate mags look nicer, but the blued actually drop better. The phosphates eject noticeably slower due to the rougher finish. However, I've heard that newer phosphate mags have a smoother finish, so maybe OK if true.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These mags are not the same as the new 229-1 mags.

Posts: 59 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolinakid:
These mags are not the same as the new 229-1 mags.
I could be wrong, but I presume he's referring to .40/357SIG 12 round magazines, which have never changed.

No one has mentioned caliber in this thread, but I'm not aware of a 12 round 9mm magazine for either iteration of the P229/P229-1...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point! Sorry for leaving out the "Facts" and just the "Facts" just kidding! Both of my Sig P229's are 1 .357 Sig and it's twin is .40 S&W. Looking to get rid of one and was wondering which mag to let go of.Thanks

posted Hide Post
Keep the phosphate mags.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post